List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So when or how is McKenna added to the list? Is he technically on the list yet and if so in what capacity? Or does McKenna get on via that SSP period, which I dont even know what it stands for or means lol

He gets added to the rookie list (cat a) as an SSP selection. Didn’t have to go through the rookie draft.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So when or how is McKenna added to the list? Is he technically on the list yet and if so in what capacity? Or does McKenna get on via that SSP period, which I dont even know what it stands for or means lol

Not on our list yet, but we've left a category A rookie spot free which means we can pick him up during the pre-season supplementary selection period (SSP).

From memory the SSP for last off season started Jan and ended in March before the season commenced. I assume the plan for McKenna will be to join after the Christmas/NY break.

Certainly got me thinking. Much harder to get picked up after turning 19 than it should be, especially given some males don't fully mature physically until well past 20.
Would there be much support for a standalone under-22 game/series for those who missed being drafted, maybe during rep season or around the combine? No idea how it might work, who organises it (maybe Rookie Me could help in that regard), but as a general concept showcase type game? Yeah, i know that the state leagues should do that anyway, but if it were marketed a little differently it might give an additional boost.

I absolutely agree that the rate of growth is different for all players and that sometimes a few years is what needed. It's a shame that the way the rookie list is viewed these days means clubs are less likely to punt on mature-age or project players as much as they used to.

I'll win a Nobel Prize for a unifying theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity before I understand how AFL lists work.
They and we are all just protons, neutrons and electrons when it's all said and done.

nup

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll win a Nobel Prize for a unifying theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity before I understand how AFL lists work.
Me too, thank goodness for the mental gymnasts round 'ere. All I knew is there was a picture with soke words and so I just automatically assumed he's going to be doing solos and hitting up Joe lace out for the next 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AFL Draft
2. Will Ashcroft (F/S, matched North Melbourne's bid)
12. Jaspa Fletcher (F/S, matched Western Bulldogs' bid)

Pre-listed rookie
Brisbane
Shadeau Brain (QLD zone), Daryl McDowell-White Jr (F/S)

Rookie Draft
15. Ryan Lester (re-listed)
29. Nakia Cockatoo (re-listed)

Jimmy Madden elevated to senior list

Below from Rookie Me Central on Shadeau Brain

Allies-Shadeau-Brain-2.jpg

FORWARD

#4​

Shadeau Brain​

Height: 186cm
Weight: 80kg
D.O.B: 13-02-2004
Leagues: Under 18s Championships, NAB League Boys
  • SNAPSHOT​

SNAPSHOT: “A crafty medium forward who fares well both aerially and at ground level, having shown glimpses across an injury-interrupted season.”
Fighting adversity to put his name in the draft conversation, Shadeau Brain has proven memorable by name and nature in 2022. The Brisbane Lions Academy prospect earned a National Combine invitation off glimpses of promise, despite ending the season in a sling on the back of shoulder surgery.
After a disrupted preseason, Brain only managed a couple of Lions Academy outings before linking with Noosa in the QAFL Seniors, and eventually turning out for the Allies’ last three games. He capped off his season with a trio of VFL appearances, but had it end early in Noosa’s second-last regular season game.
  • ANALYSIS​

• STRENGTHS:
    • Aerial ability
    • Footy IQ
    • Forward craft
    • Speed
    • X-factor

IMPROVEMENTS:
    • Composure
    • Limited exposure

A valuable talent as far as forwards go, Brain's ability to impact both in the air and at ground level at 185cm makes him a dangerous asset. He has the athleticism to spring vertically and shift sharply across the ground, which works well in combination with sound smarts in scoring situations.

While a relatively steady goalkicker himself, Brain has the capacity to get involved in many a scoring chain. He averaged six, and nearly five in his three VFL and National Championship games respectively, showcasing terrific forward craft and a sense of awareness suited to the role.

A low-possession but high-impact player by his own estimation, the Lions Academy talent lived up to that billing to produce one of his most impressive games on the big stage. The Allies were hunting their first win of the Under 18 carnival, and Brain's two late goals sealed victory over Western Australia in dramatic fashion.

For all his x-factor and natural nous, Brain has a few improvement areas. The childhood Collingwood fan is looking to add composure to his game akin to the likes of Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom, allowing his mind to work as quickly as he moves. That will help his skills, particularly kicking, become more consistent.

He has also crammed a whole lot of high-end experience into a short sample size this year, putting together a relative highlight reel compared to the extensive tape of other prospects. That works in his favour to a degree, but clubs other than Brisbane may need a greater taste to take a chance on a prospect with such promise.
    • SUMMARY​

• DRAFT RANGE: Late/Rookie

As per the analysis on Brain, question marks over exposure and durability after an injury impacted top-age campaign may pop up. Though, in his time on-field, the Lions Academy product has done plenty to pique the interest of other clubs – as a National Combine invite would suggest. With Brisbane in line to match early bids on Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher, a club could look to poach Brain late in the national intake, otherwise he may suit a rookie spot on Brisbane’s list.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would there be much support for a standalone under-22 game/series for those who missed being drafted, maybe during rep season or around the combine? No idea how it might work, who organises it (maybe Rookie Me could help in that regard), but as a general concept showcase type game? Yeah, i know that the state leagues should do that anyway, but if it were marketed a little differently it might give an additional boost.

I absolutely agree that the rate of growth is different for all players and that sometimes a few years is what needed. It's a shame that the way the rookie list is viewed these days means clubs are less likely to punt on mature-age or project players as much as they used to.
Before the mid season draft there are two games between a Victorian Young Guns side, versus Metro then Country.

It’s mostly 19 year olds, along with a couple of players picked out of the VFL.

Young stars shine in Colgate Young Guns Series…
Young stars shine in Colgate Young Guns Series

Before the mid season draft there are two games between a Victorian Young Guns side, versus Metro then Country.

It’s mostly 19 year olds, along with a couple of players picked out of the VFL.

Young stars shine in Colgate Young Guns Series…
Young stars shine in Colgate Young Guns Series
Yeah, that rings a bell, but it misses out on guys around that 20-21 yo mark who might be later on the development curve. Again, the VFL and other state leagues should theoretically allow these types of guys to display their wares, but it would be nice to give them a bit more buzz.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
It's a funny thing the AFL Draft.

My 16 year old daughter, a keen footy follower who loves the Magpies (Sherwood and Collingwood) rang me from her holiday so excited about Fletcher getting drafted.

The conversation continued, then she realised it was Jaspa Fletcher and not Will Fletcher.

Confused, she asked me "oh is Jaspa better than Will?"

I replied that he wasn't.

"So why does Jaspa get drafted and not Will?"

Well cause he is 18 and Will is 21 I reply.

"21 is hardly old Dad, surely a team trying to win the Premiership just takes the best players?"

I then began to try and explain it more and went down the path that many people probably think when Jaspa is 21, he will be better than Will is now and its an investment in the future.

It fell on deaf ears and she just couldn't understand the concept.

She then moved to Riley Greene, who is super popular in our house. Great guy, great family, incredibly dedicated to his footy and a great clubman. Mentors my sonand just a ripping human being.

"Will RG get picked up?" She asks.

Really hope so! I reply, nobody is more deserving of an opportunity.

"Is he better than Jaspa?"

Yes he is mate, but he's 21.

"For God's sake dad, 21 is hardly ancient - this is ridiculous!"

Certainly got me thinking. Much harder to get picked up after turning 19 than it should be, especially given some males don't fully mature physically until well past 20.

Note: absolutely thrilled for Jaspa, and he is very deserving of his selection and is a quality young man. This is not meant to question his selection at all. This innocent convo just sparked some thoughts from me though and thought this is as good a place to share as any given the conversation about some of these players.

Yeah, it’s a small game despite how the league tries to pump it all up. Just 59 drafted this year

twhowler

All Australian
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pardon my ignorance

Is there a simple sum for the difference between say dogs’ bid of 12 vs say bid at 18? We ended up with pick 50 but we would have had what?

All academic and a stonkingly good trade / draft period. Just curious. A KPF is the only thing on our wishlist now.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pardon my ignorance

Is there a simple sum for the difference between say dogs’ bid of 12 vs say bid at 18? We ended up with pick 50 but we would have had what?

All academic and a stonkingly good trade / draft period. Just curious. A KPF is the only thing on our wishlist now.

Doing rough sums on it, we still would've lost picks 42, 47 and 49, but we would've gotten back a pick around 53 back instead of the 72 we got back instead.

But considering the last pick traded was pick 51 (for a future 4th) and we weren't going to take more than two players, there is essentially no difference between 53 and 72.

EDIT: 53 would've moved into about 48 or so as pointed out by briztoon

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
So we get the defender next year in Richardson hopefully Geelong have a bad season and our 2nd rounder is about 30 are there any key forwards in next years draft briztoon
Considering this time last year I was saying the 2022 draft look loaded for tall forwards, and few came on this year, I'm somewhat reluctant to say what the KPP's look like beyond the very to end kids.

George Stevens from GWV Rebels and South Warrnambool is one I'm interested to follow. He was a bit of a beast as a 16 year old, but did his ACL this year. I hope he's grown since his U16 year, when he was ~190cm.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Pardon my ignorance

Pick 50 was originally pick 55, which we took to in to the draft.

Because of the number of picks we traded in on the night, we ended up not needing to use pick 55 to help match bids, and it moved up the draft order because of all the picks before it that were used up matching bids.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering this time last year I was saying the 2022 draft look loaded for tall forwards, and few came on this year, I'm somewhat reluctant to say what the KPP's look like beyond the very to end kids.

George Stevens from GWV Rebels and South Warrnambool is one I'm interested to follow. He was a bit of a beast as a 16 year old, but did his ACL this year. I hope he's grown since his U16 year, when he was ~190cm.

Thanks Briz a good story. Sounds like the type of lad that would fit nicely into and add to our culture. Being so big n strong is also a plus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back