List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Considering this time last year I was saying the 2022 draft look loaded for tall forwards, and few came on this year, I'm somewhat reluctant to say what the KPP's look like beyond the very to end kids.

George Stevens from GWV Rebels and South Warrnambool is one I'm interested to follow. He was a bit of a beast as a 16 year old, but did his ACL this year. I hope he's grown since his U16 year, when he was ~190cm.

Yeah Big George I refer to him as is I would gather standing beside him mid 2021 around 194 then but as we all understand perhaps a few more cm come still. He was then before his ACL a top 5 pic in everyone’s eyes at the Rebels. I have watched this kid since a 12 year old in basketball he was the standout in all country champs also. If he slipped through he has all the skills and a massive frame. My concern is though he was already a strongly built unit and how he returns back as a man amongst boys beforehand. His foot skills were like a midfielder so has all the tools

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope we do take Brain -- it would finally link my username to this sport and club after 21 effing years

I was playing the long game, grabbing this username nearly 3 years before he was born

Also, I am old
Even sounds a bit like a Doctor Who villain.
#istandwitholdbrain

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah Big George I refer to him as is I would gather standing beside him mid 2021 around 194 then but as we all understand perhaps a few more cm come still. He was then before his ACL a top 5 pic in everyone’s eyes at the Rebels. I have watched this kid since a 12 year old in basketball he was the standout in all country champs also. If he slipped through he has all the skills and a massive frame. My concern is though he was already a strongly built unit and how he returns back as a man amongst boys beforehand. His foot skills were like a midfielder so has all the tools

A absolute quality young man and a great family in which he has been brought up from also I may add

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Wish we could start a “Get Big George” operation thread.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Conor McKenna is officially a Lion​

Friday Nov 18

Conor McKenna has officially joined Brisbane ahead of the 2023.

After returning from Ireland, McKenna is keen to come back into the AFL after a 79-game span over six seasons with Essendon.

The Lions picked up the dashing defender as a pre-season supplemental selection and is excited to be joining the club.

“I wanted to come back to a club that was playing deep into finals pushing for a premiership and Brisbane have been doing that for the last number of years,” McKenna said according to the Herald Sun.

“The club has been great for both myself and my partner Amy in making us feel comfortable and putting foundations in place to make sure the move out goes as smooth as possible.

“I am really looking forward to getting back out and into the swing of things.”

The secret's officially out!
Welcome to the den Conor 🦁

Speaking of threads - How soon do you think we will see the,
Draft Thread aka: Father Son watch 2024 version???
The next instalment in the Casey Voss Saga?

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While it was a little bit of a fate-o-compli with regards to our draft strategy, it seems like we have done a really great job of strengthing the list.

Adding Dunkley, McKenna and Gunston to replace McStay, upgrade Matheson + Wilmot (for the now from our finals team) will give us a stronger best 22 straight off the bat. That's before any impact that Ashcroft can have for our engine room and the longer term potential of Fletcher and even Brain who seems like a potential replacement for Gunston aswell.

To do all that and only lose next year's first round pick has been brilliant recruiting. Well done all around.

Conor McKenna is officially a Lion​

Friday Nov 18

Conor McKenna has officially joined Brisbane ahead of the 2023.

After returning from Ireland, McKenna is keen to come back into the AFL after a 79-game span over six seasons with Essendon.

The Lions picked up the dashing defender as a pre-season supplemental selection and is excited to be joining the club.

“I wanted to come back to a club that was playing deep into finals pushing for a premiership and Brisbane have been doing that for the last number of years,” McKenna said according to the Herald Sun.

“The club has been great for both myself and my partner Amy in making us feel comfortable and putting foundations in place to make sure the move out goes as smooth as possible.

“I am really looking forward to getting back out and into the swing of things.”

'... Wanted to vibe to a club that is playing deep into finals'.

I love being a destination club and getting great players and all, but when you see it written like that it's harsh.

My favourite players are long term lions (onya Richy) and players coming to us for a second chance/last throw of the dice.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
INOUT
Josh Dunkley
Jack Gunston
Pick 2 (Will Ashcroft)
Pick 12 (Jasper Fletcher)
Shadeau Brain
Darryl McDowell-White
Conor McKenna
2023 3rd round (Geelong)
Daniel McStay
Tom Berry
Mitch Robinson
Ely Smith
Connor McFadyen
Deividas Uosis
Mitch Cox
Pick 15
Pick 33
Pick 44
Pick 69
2023 1st round

Basic summary of our draft and trade period. I've cancelled out the future pick swaps, because overall we only lost a future first and gained a future third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
INOUT
Josh Dunkley
Jack Gunston
Pick 2 (Will Ashcroft)
Pick 12 (Jasper Fletcher)
Shadeau Brain
Darryl McDowell-White
Conor McKenna
2023 3rd round (Geelong)
Daniel McStay
Tom Berry
Mitch Robinson
Ely Smith
Connor McFadyen
Deividas Uosis
Mitch Cox
Pick 15
Pick 33
Pick 44
Pick 69
2023 1st round

Basic summary of our draft and trade period. I've cancelled out the future pick swaps, because overall we only lost a future first and gained a future third.
This years trade and draft just happened to fall our way
Dunkley wanting to join the Lions the same year we could use F/S draft rules to our advantage
Dunkley still costs us 21 + future 1st, plus other pick swaps back and forth from both Dogs and Lions
Having 2 F/S coming into the club going at 2 & 12 and only having to use later picks to secure them was just great work by the Club

I am looking at it this way
We got Dunkley for future 1st plus and minus some pick swaps between Lions & Dogs
We got number 2 pick Ashcroft for pick 21.
Number 12 pick Fletcher for not much. No way to work it out but lets say late 2nd early 3rd round

We have 7 new players joining the Lions of which 4 most likely make round 1 team
We lose 1 best 22 player in McStay. Robbo's time was up but he has had a good career with Lions and Blues
Tom Berry possibly plays well for the Suns

Clubs have to improve each year to keep being relevant
On paper we look to have achieved that goal just need to show the same on field

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bristoon, could you tell me what we lost because North selected Ashcroft and the Dogs selected Fletcher?

Could you tell me if either club gained anything by doing the above?
Not quite sure what you are asking, in regards to what we “lost”.

Usually the bidding team doesn’t gain anything when placing the bid.

Unless… it’s a Sydney type scenario, where they tried extorting an extra future first round pick out of GWS. GWS refused the trade.

We didn’t lose anything really, as we had traded really well, getting enough picks and points to cover the bids.

Getting a future third round pick out of Adelaide (tied to Geelong) for pick 50 is somewhat incredulous to me.

I haven’t looked at what else Adelaide had to offer.

Getting a future third round pick out of Adelaide (tied to Geelong) for pick 50 is somewhat incredulous to me.

I haven’t looked at what else Adelaide had to offer.
At that point in the night Adelaide had two second round picks (NM, GC), one third round pick (Geelong), and no fourth round picks.

That pick was literally the least they could offer us, since someone else would offer more than a fifth.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
At that point in the night Adelaide had two second round picks (NM, GC), one third round pick (Geelong), and no fourth round picks.

That pick was literally the least they could offer us, since someone else would offer more than a fifth.
I figured it was something like that.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Speaking of threads - How soon do you think we will see the,
Draft Thread aka: Father Son watch 2024 version???
I’ll probably start a 2023 thread, when I have something worth posting for next year. Unless someone starts the thread before me (at which point I’ll silently throw my toys out of my cot).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back