List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

#5 - Josh Dunkley

#8 - Will Ashcroft

#13 - Blake Coleman

#19 - Jack Gunston

#25 - Henry Smith

#26 - Conor McKenna

#28 - Jaspa Fletcher

#34 - Shadeau Brain

#50 - Darryl McDowell-White

Nice of Henry Smith to give up his 19 to Gunston.

Last edited:

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

#5 - Josh Dunkley

#8 - Will Ashcroft

#13 - Blake Coleman

#19 - Jack Gunston

#25 - Henry Smith

#26 - Conor McKenna

#28 - Jaspa Fletcher

#34 - Shadeau Brain

#50 - Darryl McDowell-White

Nice of Henry Smith to give up his 19 to Gunston.
Interesting that Blake gets a lower number. Will be watching him with interest in the magoos next year. Potential X factor. Fingers crossed at least a couple of games in the first.

edit he is already listed as 13?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yeah Big George I refer to him as is I would gather standing beside him mid 2021 around 194 then but as we all understand perhaps a few more cm come still. He was then before his ACL a top 5 pic in everyone’s eyes at the Rebels. I have watched this kid since a 12 year old in basketball he was the standout in all country champs also. If he slipped through he has all the skills and a massive frame. My concern is though he was already a strongly built unit and how he returns back as a man amongst boys beforehand. His foot skills were like a midfielder so has all the tools

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Article on afl.com today has George listed as 189cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting that Blake gets a lower number. Will be watching him with interest in the magoos next year. Potential X factor. Fingers crossed at least a couple of games in the first.

edit he is already listed as 13?
I thought Blake would have taken #19 when he first started to have the locker next to his brother - suspect he has moved to #13 to be next to Nakia - b/w Kiddy, Blake, Nakia and Cal, these 4 seem pretty close on the socials and if I recall, Cal said they all live in Wynnum area where none of the other boys are - I could be completely wrong to LOL

countryVicLion

Senior List
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Article on afl.com today has George listed as 189cm.

Interesting he towers over me at 178cm and mustn’t have grown since he was 16 at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Afl drafting seems like such a shitshow compared to nfl drafts. Darfting young adults who haven't finished growing yet and trying to figure out their development trajectories seems like guesswork when it comes to key position prospects and contested midfielders where physical size differences between players at junior leagues can mask deficiencies that translate poorly to the AFL where players playing the same roll are roughly the same size. It seems like a total crapshoot. I remember seeing Chol at VFL level when he was thinner. You could see he had the athletic traits and the mental ability to get separation but was getting pushed out against bigger guys. 3 seasons later and a few kilograms heavier and he seems poised to really flourish as a 2nd tall foil to King. I saw Schache when he was with us. He always looked clumsy, slow and static. Like he didnt know where to run. I didn't understand the hype we had for him as he only seemed to do well when the opposition neglected him and he would get a few easy marks. Then the opposition would move a proper defender on him and he would melt immediately. I wonder how these drafts would pan out if we drafted 21 year olds out of secondary leagues instead of highschoolers.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Afl drafting seems like such a shitshow compared to nfl drafts. Darfting young adults who haven't finished growing yet and trying to figure out their development trajectories seems like guesswork when it comes to key position prospects and contested midfielders where physical size differences between players at junior leagues can mask deficiencies that translate poorly to the AFL where players playing the same roll are roughly the same size. It seems like a total crapshoot. I remember seeing Chol at VFL level when he was thinner. You could see he had the athletic traits and the mental ability to get separation but was getting pushed out against bigger guys. 3 seasons later and a few kilograms heavier and he seems poised to really flourish as a 2nd tall foil to King. I saw Schache when he was with us. He always looked clumsy, slow and static. Like he didnt know where to run. I didn't understand the hype we had for him as he only seemed to do well when the opposition neglected him and he would get a few easy marks. Then the opposition would move a proper defender on him and he would melt immediately. I wonder how these drafts would pan out if we drafted 21 year olds out of secondary leagues instead of highschoolers.
I don't disagree with what you are saying regarding the difficulty of drafting on potential. But, there are some difficulties with raising the draft age, mainly:

- each year there are a handful of guys are ready to make a significant impact for their teams at 18 years of age. Asking guys like Daicos, Rowell, JHF, Ashcroft etc. to wait another year or three would be a pretty difficult pill to swallow for guys like that and their supporters.

- pushing guys to spend a couple of years in limbo after finishing school, without a college sporting system in place could very well reduce the number of AFL ready players as many lose interest, get distracted.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
The last point I especially agree with. AFL salaries aren't so high that every young man (and woman eventually) is going to forgo or delay a potentially successful career in whatever area of study they graduate from at age 21, when it could very well pay them just as well and put them under far less stress from a publicity perspective.

Different in the USA where professional sports salaries are so far above what Joe Blow makes, most 21 year olds are happy to put their business careers on hold.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Having said that, I think the current draft age is too low from a mental (and even physical) health point of view and if it wasn't for the above I think it would make sense to lift it to an age similar to what we see in the states.

Only sliders win you drafts
There's some interesting statistics around the fact that there is actually no such thing as a slider. In theory it makes sense that they don't actually exist because where a player is picked is largely a representation of the group thought on that player. That's not to say that people don't outperform their draft stock.

On the other hand there is significant evidence of reaches, and as you'd assume they have a very low strike rate

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Don't think the draft age is wrong. I just think the obsession with drafting mostly the minimum age each year is crazy.

50+ picks in this years draft, I haven't bothered to actually check but I'm guessing about 40 were 18.
At a guess.

59 drafted. 55 would be 18.

Their wouldn’t be many undrafted over age or mature age players out there who would be best 22 players on an AFL list.

Between the SSP and mid season draft, any late bloomers get picked up each year.

When drafting 18 year olds, clubs aren’t drafting for depth, they are drafting kids who could potentially one day be a best 22 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back