List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious if you actually know how much of a commitment the Lions have made to Will?

From what I’ve witnessed, Will has made a pretty big commitment to us.

He came up and did two weeks quarantine, just so he could join in with the 1 to 5 years preseason group.

He could have waited another two weeks, and come up with the draftees when the state border opened.
Nope. I know nothing of the clubs commitment. I wasn't trying to be controversial. I'm just sick of people trying to interpret every mouthguard and half-smile of an 18 year old kid. "Why did he say this? Why hasn't he committed to us yet? Is he going to skip the father son?" Well, he owes us nothing, he knows that romantic though these things are, it's a business, and he knows that no one has put a ring on his finger. I understand the attraction, and when there's news, fair enough. Back-and-forth on the same comments for weeks though?

Marcus Aurelius said:
When you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: The people I deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous and surly. They are like this because they can't tell good from evil.
Seneca said:
"Why then," you ask, "do we show such persistence in mourning for our friends, if it be not nature that bids us do so?" It is because we never expect that any evil will befall ourselves before it comes, we will not be taught by seeing the misfortunes of others that they are the common inheritance of all men, but imagine that the path which we have begun to tread is free from them and less beset by dangers than that of other people. How many funerals pass our houses? yet we do not think of death. How many untimely deaths? we think only of our son's coming of age, of his service in the army, or of his succession to his father's estate. How many rich men suddenly sink into poverty before our very eyes, without its ever occurring to our minds that our own wealth is exposed to exactly the same risks? When, therefore, misfortune befalls us, we cannot help collapsing all the more completely, because we are struck as it were unawares: a blow which has long been foreseen falls much less heavily upon us.

And yet for all that a stoic sage would still advise us, "you lot take it a bit too far. Chill."

The guy with over a hundred posts about Ben Keays has said we are overly obsessed with Ashcroft.

I'm extremely confident Will will be a Lion.
giphy.gif

I hope everyone's got their hard hats on, because there's currently a mountain being constructed out of a molehill.

But I don’t want to take my tin foil hat off

And yet for all that a stoic sage would still advise us, "you lot take it a bit too far. Chill."
Congratulations - I'm pretty sure that's the first Seneca quote on this forum, if not BF as a whole.

Only one way to scientifically resolve this issue.

I'm going out to the garden to pick a flower...

He loves us
He loves not
He loves us
He loves us not
He loves us........etc.

I'll let you know the result in due course.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an opinion going by what he has said about Melbourne being home now and a few other comments about loving it where he is now. I don't know anything other than that but if I did I would keep it to myself anyways.

The kid is going to be under sooo much pressure. Being potential pick one is tough enough, and f/s takes to another level again.

If I were in his position, I doubt if I'd truely know at this stage. Other clubs will be pushing - maybe gaurenteed every game first year in the ones, which is something we might not be outright promising.

It's another fairy tale for us - win the premiership and get a lauded veteran's son for free. The niggle in my head is the last fairy tale didn't work out that well. Different kid, different skills, but ....

The guy with over a hundred posts about Ben Keays has said we are overly obsessed with Ashcroft.
Show me the 100.

I only ever responded to people irrationally criticising him. Of which it was nearly everybody. So there were a lot of obstinates to deal with.

I blame my obsession on being driven to it by irrationals.

I've had treatment and now spend my time trying to help others . If Ashcroft doesn't come to us it could turn into a blessing. It's happened before.

Hopefully that gives you some comfort.

Show me the 100.

I only ever responded to people irrationally criticising him. Of which it was nearly everybody. So there were a lot of obstinates to deal with.

I blame my obsession on being driven to it by irrationals.

I've had treatment and now spend my time trying to help others . If Ashcroft doesn't come to us it could turn into a blessing. It's happened before.

Hopefully that gives you some comfort.

In absolute fairness to you, reckon you've toned down the K**** posts quite a bit the last 3-4 weeks. I don't think its unreasonable to point out that we can pay way too much attention to what a 17 year old wants to do.

For me, I'll continue to get excited at the prospect of him playing for us and so on until the draft, but if he doesn't nominate I'll move on and wish him well (except when he plays us).

In absolute fairness to you, reckon you've toned down the K**** posts quite a bit the last 3-4 weeks. I don't think its unreasonable to point out that we can pay way too much attention to what a 17 year old wants to do.

For me, I'll continue to get excited at the prospect of him playing for us and so on until the draft, but if he doesn't nominate I'll move on and wish him well (except when he plays us).
Likewise.

What happens happens.. If we don't get him it could open the door for someone else.

We'd all love him to come. There's no doubt we'd leave no stone unturned . We look forward to him playing for us but if he not then it was always out of our control.

Well catching up on this thread reminds me of reading the Game Day threads where we go from optimism to pessimism faster than an accelerating drag racer gets to 100!

Will certainly rejoice if he picks us.
Will most likely give a wry grin with a shrug and the thought of 'yep that's how it works for the Lions' if he doesn't.

We all get vibes and impressions - some mean more to us because they meet our expectations or touch us were out fears make us weakest - and so we hang our hats on what works for us. In terms of analytical dispassion we really don't have much to go on but if we are already nervous about the decision and in the back of our minds thinking we don't deserve it or that it would prove we are unworthy etc then we are entering Freo* territory and nobody wants to go there!!!

Personally I am going to assume he will nominate us until he doesn't and let the click bait fly past ... I will be aware of various poster's opinions and yes some posters have more credibility than others but right now getting the Flag and pick one sounds like a nice dream world to live in (especially since it could even come true :) )

*or North

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back