List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS has looked at packaging two of its later first-round picks to move up the board, while pick No.15 (and No.19 as well) is on the trade table at the right price; they will look for a future first-rounder but have also had offers of a future second-round pick for 19.

So GWS have picks 1, 15, 18, 19 & 30 odd? I wonder how many they’re expecting to use.

I’d be pushing to see if we can get both 18 & 19 off them for a F1 and 35 (removing Brisbanes picks) - that leaves them with 1, 15, 30 to hit the draft with and 39 to probably cover their Rowston bid, couldn’t imagine them using more than 4. And gets them what they really want which is an extra F1.

I know people understandably don’t want to touch the F1 but this range of the draft is so so suited to our needs.

Imagine a haul of Buss, Cowan (or another wing option), Clarke and George at 11, 18, 19, 21

I think they have five list spots and an academy kid, so they’ll use four picks and match the bid on Rowston.

Given either of our F1s could easily be mid teens next year that would be a poor deal for GWS, they'd probably get better offers.

Article says they are looking to move up so 11&35 for 2 of 15, 18 or 19 is probably more realistic and definitely worth considering on the night, depending on who's left.

3 picks inside of 21 would give us a great look at some good talent.
I agree in normal circumstances but not sure they’d get much better this year to be honest, seems everyone’s trying to get out of that range and futures have a serious premium attached this year.

Plus considering their strong draft hand and desire for future picks for academy next year it could work IMO - it’s a high risk move for them though as we could realistically have any pick from 10-18. likely itd mean upgrading a pick from 18 to 12-14 in a much stronger draft and downgrading 19 to 35.

I honestly think F1 + 35 for 18 & 19 is a better deal for them than 11 & 35 for 15 & 18/19 considering their draft hand and need for next years picks.

And personally I wouldn’t do 11 & 35 for 18 & 19 because 11 is a really strong pick and probably the last of the top tier before IMO 12-13 onwards is a rung below. Upgrading 7 places in the first round from 18 to 11 is worth much more than upgrading 16 places in the 2nd from 35 to 19 IMO so don’t think we’d do that trade. 15 & 18 is more balanced but I think they’d prefer the F1 option

Last edited:

Like the noise that we may bid on Davey Jnr. Could force Essendon’s hand to trade us pick 22.
It’s genuinely a no brainer, we need to extract a little bit of value out of them for it.

Worst case scenario we get stuck with Davey which is not a bad thing and no chance they pass anyway.

But the upside is we’re literally generating a pick 21 plus added value for Essendon out of thin air so that’s very valuable, so long as he lasts to our pick either we bid and they get Davey for 22 or they trade for the pick and get pick 21 & Davey for 22.

That’s a huge difference so we need to capitalise on that, even if we’re not keen on Davey. It’s hard to put a value on what that’s realistically worth - a late 2nd/early 3rd maybe? Meaning they’re essentially upgrading a late 2nd/early 3rd to 21 and we’re getting that for nothing

Last edited:
Given either of our F1s could easily be mid teens next year that would be a poor deal for GWS, they'd probably get better offers.

Article says they are looking to move up so 11&35 for 2 of 15, 18 or 19 is probably more realistic and definitely worth considering on the night, depending on who's left.

3 picks inside of 21 would give us a great look at some good talent.
The players we seem to be targeting (Buss, Hollands and Allen) are likely to be gone by pick 15.

TBH I'm happy to take pick 11 to draft.

The players we seem to be targeting (Buss, Hollands and Allen) are likely to be gone by pick 15.

TBH I'm happy to take pick 11 to draft.
I'm not against holding 11 depending on how the night plays out, but if we did end up with 3 picks inside 21 and then 2 first rounders next year, 5 quality picks to add to a good list of youngsters is pretty sharp list management.

I get the feeling that this year's Phantom might be harder to predict because it seems like the players from 5 to 12 are fairly even and clubs and recruiters have quite varied opinions on each prospect.
Also, there seems to be more possibility of clubs trading this year which means clubs will be holding their cards closer to their chests.
I think Essendon might prefer Philippou but be leaking interest in Tstatas to see if anyone wants to trade up to get him.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Gold coast take Ginbey but they might be wary of the Eagles looking to trade back up.
It's also interesting that Twoomey hasn't suggested that any clubs before us are considering Busslinger. I wouldn't be surprised if Geelong, St Kilda or Carlton picked him.
That said it will probably be spot on now 😋

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't love the continued links to Cowan. Hopefully after four decent years we get some kind of compensation when he heads to Tassie, unless they do it AFLW style and he just does a Toogood.
I dunno why you’re so worried about him, who in their right mind would go back to Tassie 😂

He’ll spend two years in Melbourne and never go back, 1hr flight if he wants to see friends and family Etc I’d be more concerned about the go home factor with every other state, especially considering they don’t even have a team… it’s just not worth even a consideration at this point

I find it interesting the commentary around us being divided on our 1st pick of defender v a mid with speed. I was told earlier in the week that that reason we weren’t committed to Sullivan from our VFL (yet) is due to Power wanting midfielders with speed, I wonder who is on team key defender.
Hopefully our list manager actually gets final say for once, or bye bye SP.

I dunno why you’re so worried about him, who in their right mind would go back to Tassie 😂

He’ll spend two years in Melbourne and never go back, 1hr flight if he wants to see friends and family Etc I’d be more concerned about the go home factor with every other state, especially considering they don’t even have a team… it’s just not worth even a consideration at this point

It's mostly how he's spoken about how he wants to play for Tassie. I'm not so worried about the Tassie Devils or whoever poaching a player like Gardner who happens to be from Tassie, Cowan seems fairly passionate about playing for his home state.

It's mostly how he's spoken about how he wants to play for Tassie. I'm not so worried about the Tassie Devils or whoever poaching a player like Gardner who happens to be from Tassie, Cowan seems fairly passionate about playing for his home state.
Yeah Fair enough, he definitely has been more vocal than most but I’d suggest that’s also probably helped by the media a bit in that it seems they’re constantly pushing the narrative and it’s probably more of a case of him being asked the question and responding with “yeah I’d love to play for Tassie” etc

I dunno I just wouldn’t factor it in personally, I’d be more concerned about Busslinger or Allen as Perths always one that’s going to stick around for their whole careers every time they come out of contract - I think we just have to back ourselves in to take the best player and make sure they don’t want to leave.

But in saying that I don’t really want Cowan unless we end up with another pick somehow, as there’s bigger needs for our first two picks

Yeah Fair enough, he definitely has been more vocal than most but I’d suggest that’s also probably helped by the media a bit in that it seems they’re constantly pushing the narrative and it’s probably more of a case of him being asked the question and responding with “yeah I’d love to play for Tassie” etc

I dunno I just wouldn’t factor it in personally, I’d be more concerned about Busslinger or Allen as Perths always one that’s going to stick around for their whole careers every time they come out of contract - I think we just have to back ourselves in to take the best player and make sure they don’t want to leave.

But in saying that I don’t really want Cowan unless we end up with another pick somehow, as there’s bigger needs for our first two picks

We've never really had a problem with players wanting to go back to their home state. The only one was Hamling and that was for compassionate reasons, Cowan does worry me though because he has "thrown a huge marquee contract when the Tasmania team comes in" written all over him.

So according to Twomeys updated late mail. The Phantom Draft remains pretty much the same. Still Busslinger sliding to our first pick. And we are one of three clubs that really want Cowan. Unfortunately we have the latest pick (21) out of all of those clubs as well. So we may miss out.

I would love to package a F2 and 39 to move up. My dream draft would be to land Busslinger, Cowan and Clarke. All will pretty much fit the best available mantra and address needs at the same time.

The interesting one for me is that Essendon still weighing up whether to trade out of pick 4. Melbourne are so desperate for it, that they have offered up two future firsts, and this one for it.

If Melbourne trade up, who exactly is their target? Curious as it made reshape the entire top 10.

Last edited:
Was holding out hope we’d trade up for Phillipou but if Melbourne are offering three first rounders for #4 and #22 as reported then I would think that counts us out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know it was just a throwaway line but ...

It must be a while since you've been to Tassie. One of the fastest growing economies of any state, some really creative people setting up businesses there, great food, wine and tourism industries and it looks like being a big long term winner from climate change. Many see a great future for it and I know of quite a few people choosing to move there.

All it lacks is an AFL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back