List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If North get a priority pick and Ashcroft goes into the open draft
their midfield is set for years

I don't think the priority pick will be straight after their first VD. It's more than to be an end of 1st round or at best a mid first round pick. Gold Coast got something similar over a three year period, North seem to be asking for something similar.

Will be interesting to see what they do nonetheless. They drafted Phillips who is very similar to Ashcroft, but he hasn't had a good start to his AFL career. Wardlaw or Sheezel seem like better fits and are just as talented IMO.

Last edited:
I don't think the priority pick will be straight after their first VD. It's more than to be an end of 1st round or at best a mid first round pick. Gold Coast got something similar over a three year period, North seem to be asking for something similar.

Will be interesting to see what they do non the less. They drafted Phillips who is very similar to Ashcroft, but he hasn't had a good start to his AFL career. Wardlaw or Sheezel seem like better fits and are just as talented IMO.

I can’t see anyone passing on Sheezel. Fits a need for every team with his delivery by foot.

I don’t think North would do it but picks 6+8 for pick 1?

I can’t see anyone passing on Sheezel. Fits a need for every team with his delivery by foot.

I don’t think North would do it but picks 6+8 for pick 1?

Yep, doesn't need much of the ball to have a big impact. I am a fan of Wardlaw though too and I'm interested to see what he does towards the end of the season.

I would do that deal. Like you said, I can't see North doing it though.

I'm a big fan of this draft, I wouldn't mind going all in and trading our future 1st for a later 1st round selection for this year. Plus I definitely think we should try to trade up to Brisbane's 1st rounder as they will need points for Fletcher and Ashcroft (if he commits). They will probably get another 1st for McStay also either after their 1st selection or at the back end of the 1st round.

I really do like what's on offer towards the back end of the 1st round. Barnett, Hotton, Humphrey and Konstanty are all options I really like and I think would all fit our needs. Hayes, Hustwaite and Weddle, who I'm not as excited by (in this range), are also other options that could be good and could fill a need.

With a forward line of Naughton, Lobb, Bruce & JUH; there is no room for a medium.
I don’t like the pick on list fit as we don’t have a spot for that player but would take a higher impact medium (Sheezel) if available at our pick. Sheezel should go top 3, so unless we get a really early pick somehow, better to take a super quick winger (who has an inside game) OR just load up on talls.

There are better talls to get this year than I have seen for a while. Much rather double or even triple dip or quadruple dip on talls.
I doubt we avoid taking the best available kid at our selection because of a 32 year old Bruce and 30 year old Lobb

I'm a big fan of this draft, I wouldn't mind going all in and trading our future 1st for a later 1st round selection for this year. Plus I definitely think we should try to trade up to Brisbane's 1st rounder as they will need points for Fletcher and Ashcroft (if he commits). They will probably get another 1st for McStay also either after their 1st selection or at the back end of the 1st round.

I really do like what's on offer towards the back end of the 1st round. Barnett, Hotton, Humphrey and Konstanty are all options I really like and I think would all fit our needs. Hayes, Hustwaite and Weddle, who I'm not as excited by (in this range), are also other options that could be good and could fill a need.
I'd be all for it too but I'm not sure if we could give Brisbane enough for their first rounder this year and also trade our future first into this year.

Gold coast probably has the best assets to make a deal with Brisbane.

Maybe Richmond would do pick 19 and their second rounder for our future first and third rounder. Then we have 2 good second rounders to give to Brisbane

I'd be all for it too but I'm not sure if we could give Brisbane enough for their first rounder this year and also trade our future first into this year.

Gold coast probably has the best assets to make a deal with Brisbane.

Maybe Richmond would do pick 19 and their second rounder for our future first and third rounder. Then we have 2 good second rounders to give to Brisbane
Would Gold Coast go for:
  • WBD 2023 2nd Round; for
  • GC Pick #31 + Pick #44
  • Try to sneak in pick 8 (GC) for pick 9 (WBD) too but I think challenging.
You then give Pick #27 + Pick #31 + Pick #37 (1,792 points) to Brisbane for Pick #14 (1,161 points). It’s a 54% points premium which compares to a 49% premium we got for pick #17 last year. Depending on how many list spots Brisbane open up they could use Pick #27 to get extra points from Pies who have picks #42, #45 and #46.

Essentially trading 2023 2nd rounder to move #27 up to #14 and #37 down to #44. Gives you the options of:
  • Going to draft with #9, #14, #44
  • Package #9 and #14 to move up
  • Trade #14 for Logue (probably overs)

Really want Phillipou. Think he’s going to be elite. Everything he does is just classy.

Think we’d only be able to get him if we got a high pick for Dunkley (if he moves). But still may be out of reach.

Also very keen on Hayes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Gold Coast go for:
  • WBD 2023 2nd Round; for
  • GC Pick #31 + Pick #44
  • Try to sneak in pick 8 (GC) for pick 9 (WBD) too but I think challenging.
You then give Pick #27 + Pick #31 + Pick #37 (1,792 points) to Brisbane for Pick #14 (1,161 points). It’s a 54% points premium which compares to a 49% premium we got for pick #17 last year. Depending on how many list spots Brisbane open up they could use Pick #27 to get extra points from Pies who have picks #42, #45 and #46.

Essentially trading 2023 2nd rounder to move #27 up to #14 and #37 down to #44. Gives you the options of:
  • Going to draft with #9, #14, #44
  • Package #9 and #14 to move up
  • Trade #14 for Logue (probably overs)
Gold Coast do have a history of trading current picks for future picks so they might do that especially if they are allowed to continue drafting NGA players without having to match bids. I think they probably could do better by dealing with Brisbane and then on trading their 1st rounder if they don't want to use it.
If we trade our future second we can't trade our future first so that would still make it impossible to get 3 first rounders which was what goodcop badcop was hoping we could do.
It might be better to hang on to our future first anyway in case a gun kpd comes on the market next year (provided we don't get one this year)

Gold Coast do have a history of trading current picks for future picks so they might do that especially if they are allowed to continue drafting NGA players without having to match bids. I think they probably could do better by dealing with Brisbane and then on trading their 1st rounder if they don't want to use it.
If we trade our future second we can't trade our future first so that would still make it impossible to get 3 first rounders which was what goodcop badcop was hoping we could do.
It might be better to hang on to our future first anyway in case a gun kpd comes on the market next year (provided we don't get one this year)
We could also potentially end up with some second and third rounders by trading out players.

Question for the draft watchers - if we were to end up with a top 5 pick from a Dunkley trade, would you prefer to draft Busslinger top 5 and then a mid with our current first rounder (ie. George/Gibney/Hollands) OR take an elite mid (ie. Tsatsas/Philipou/McKenzie) top 5 and then get a KPD later in the draft?

Question for the draft watchers - if we were to end up with a top 5 pick from a Dunkley trade, would you prefer to draft Busslinger top 5 and then a mid with our current first rounder (ie. George/Gibney/Hollands) OR take an elite mid (ie. Tsatsas/Philipou/McKenzie) top 5 and then get a KPD later in the draft?

Philippou and Hayes could be a good combination. My concern is that top tier mids want to play firsts and they want to play early. Drafting a top 5 mid and then sticking him in the forward line or in the VFL is a good way to have them leave as soon as their first contract is up.

If we’re taking a mid early I’d hope they have some sort of point of difference. George sounds like he has that in that he’s that powerful burst mid/fwd we don’t really have and tend to tear us apart.

probably would be wise to take a KPD first just for future-proofing the team, plus we aren't short of midfielders as in West or Garcia could rotate through that area. Important to have a very good defensive spine for any premiership tilts that will inevitably come with the likes of Naughton, Marra, Darcy etc, inevitably important to recruit a KPD now who will be a gun for years

Busslinger first, unless Sheezel or Philipou are still on the board.

George is good for a later first round pick and IF possible getting back into late first round or earlier second round for Hayes would be great.

Additional:
IF Cadman is still on the board AND he wants to play CHB and be elite at it…. You could take him instead of Busslinger.

NGA update for this draft

Deng Lual age was finally been cleared, took ages for nab league to update it

Alex Tsia: 180cm 17 years old 2022 Draft
6 Games Played: 3 Goals 5.5Dpg 1.0mpg

Deng Lual- 192cm 2022 Draft Ruck/Defender Role
10 Games played: 10.4dpg 1.7mpg 3.0tpg 6.0hitpg

Which of the top 10 mid prospects has the most aggressive defensive mindset? We could use someone like Jai Newcombe but hopefully they can kick.

Who do you think we could trade who'd bring in picks?
Well it might not necessarily be up to us. West is still unsigned and I have concerns that Garcia with his injury history may want to head back west.
I don't remember who but an itk poster said that Shache is likely to be traded to Collingwood (although is likely only a third) and Hunter maybe also a third? If JJ goes as an FA we might get third round compo if we're lucky.

There are always trades that we don't see coming so it's really all speculation.

probably would be wise to take a KPD first just for future-proofing the team, plus we aren't short of midfielders as in West or Garcia could rotate through that area.
I don’t rate myself as insightful when it comes to assessing young players so this is a genuine question rather than trying to spark an argument - do those who have experience rate Garcia as likely to become “ a leading midfielder “? My assessment is that he shows glimpses that he could become a best 22 player but I didn’t know if we will move into the elite class so drafting a mid who could become that will still be high on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back