List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really want to make it a thing and definitely not a hill I care to die on but I think if a story like this had come out about Dusty or even a young EJ we'd all be laughing it up rather than calling him a tossbag.

Now the obvious counter is that they could back it up on field. Hopefully so can the kid.
I hope for his sake that he can back it up

I hoping we target a rookie ruck, despite the quality of kids like Teal (defender) who are left on the board.
It's the one spot where you can find AFL quality kids in the rookie draft every year (check 2016's crop of rucks!)

Keen for the rookie draft. I anticipate it will be Sullivan. Midfield seems to be the position we will address from now. And whilst he isn't the sexiest pick. His tackling numbers in the VFL crap on the tackling numbers on ANY of our players in the AFL. Does not mean that it will translate to the AFL. But he does seem an obviously Dunkley style replacement who can accumulate and has a defensive side. So I will be good with it.

Even though I prefer a totally new and unknown player, because admittedly we all like new things.

Also after some thinking I think we will be fine with not having addressed wing directly. We keep forgetting we still have players like Treloar and Smith who can both play wide and run. With the additions to the front and back thirds in the offseasons. Suddenly the midfield is an even more crammed up unit. There may be a name or two that might get stuck in the VFL Wallis style that might bum some people out. But at least we should have less inside mids playing a whole game in defence or the forward pocket to plug gaps. We will still use one forward position for resting mids though, which will work fine with the three talls, and then Clarke and Weightman as well.

Will not surprise me to see Macrae take over Hunters position either. Since we do need a bit more run out of the middle. We could see more combos featuring Smith and Treloar along side Bont and Libba.

Last edited:

On first reflection I’m very happy with our selections and think all can have an impact on our lineup in the next couple of years however will be keeping an eye out on the other draftees in and around our picks to see if we pulled the right rein.

There will be some nervous recruiters over the he next few years

Season 2 Reaction GIF by The Office
With Lewis Hayes and Brayden George still on the board, what can you tell me that Clarke was a better pick than Hayes/George with Flea and Riley already penned as small fwd's??
I really thought that a medium fwd with George's ability is in more demand than Clarke. Who is our current med goal kicking fwd?

With Lewis Hayes and Brayden George still on the board, what can you tell me that Clarke was a better pick than Hayes/George with Flea and Riley already penned as small fwd's??
I really thought that a medium fwd with George's ability is in more demand than Clarke. Who is our current med goal kicking fwd?
Mediums don’t suit us at all, we now have 3 gun tall forwards - Marra will probably play a bit of a medium role anyway. Our leaking defensively from the forward line was the worst in the comp by an absolute mile. We need defensive pressure at the feet of the talls and Clarke brings it in spades.

Lobb, Naughty, Marra is tall enough. No team has more marking power inside 50 than us, what good is another marking forward? We have no one on the list that naturally plays front and centre.

Garcias not even a forward, Weightmans a gun but more of a medium than a small tbh and West is similiar in that both of them are gun marks for their size. Clarke will be the first person on our list who knows his role is to be front and centre, kick opportunistic goals and pressure like *ing crazy. West, Clarke, Cody & JJ is an awesome bunch of smalls.

He's a genuine forward with goal sense. West/Garcia types are mids playing the role and are more inconsistent due to this

Trade:

Mature KPF/Ruck

Free Agency:

Mature KPB

Draft:

Developing KPB.

Smallish Natural Forward.

Hard running, long kicking utility.

Departures:

Dunkley. Schache. Cordy

I think for the first time in living memory we actually have a well balanced list of developing, competent and elite talls. Let the fact that we are going to see some quality senior Keys play alongside some quality developing talls at Footscray next season sink in. As a lifer, it feels completely unnatural to me. For all of the moaning that went on during trade week about why we weren't being linked to ever single player theoretically available. Or for the draft watchers who treat the draft as a game of hungry hungry hippos by casting a net over every player available. Only to open themselves up for a let down when their favourite was gobbled up by another team. Although no 18 year old recruit is a sure thing, I don't think our list managers and recruiters could've addressed our needs much better in a single off season.

I reckon we're as well positioned to have ongoing tilts at finals footy/premierships as we could possibly be. The only caveat to that is that a lot is still going to rest on the shoulders of our elite midfielders who were left wanting on a few occasions against statistically inferior oppositions last season. It's going to be fascinating watching what the MC have in store for the wings next season. The must have faith in what's currently on the list given their willingness to junk the one reliable winger that we had. I'd love nothing more than one or two of the next level fringe mids like Bedendo to jump up and make the position their own. I suspect this may be the clubs thinking as well.

Last edited:
Mediums don’t suit us at all, we now have 3 gun tall forwards - Marra will probably play a bit of a medium role anyway. Our leaking defensively from the forward line was the worst in the comp by an absolute mile. We need defensive pressure at the feet of the talls and Clarke brings it in spades.

Lobb, Naughty, Marra is tall enough. No team has more marking power inside 50 than us, what good is another marking forward? We have no one on the list that naturally plays front and centre.

Garcias not even a forward, Weightmans a gun but more of a medium than a small tbh and West is similiar in that both of them are gun marks for their size. Clarke will be the first person on our list who knows his role is to be front and centre, kick opportunistic goals and pressure like *ing crazy. West, Clarke, Cody & JJ is an awesome bunch of smalls.
cheers for the info

Trade:

Mature KPF/Ruck

Free Agency:

Mature KPB

Draft:

Developing KPB.

Smallish Natural Forward.

Hard running, long kicking utility.

Departures:

Dunkley. Schache. Cordy

I think for the first time in living memory we actually have a well balanced list of developing, competent and elite talls. Let the fact that we are going to see some quality senior Keys play alongside some quality developing talls at Footscray next season sink in. As a lifer, it feels completely unnatural to me. For all of the moaning that went on during trade week about why we weren't being linked to ever single player theoretically available. Or for the draft watchers who treat the draft as a game of hungry hungry hippos by casting a net over every player available. Only to open themselves up for a let down when their favourite was gobbled up by another team. Although no 18 year old recruit is a sure thing, I don't think our list managers and recruiters could've addressed our needs much better in a single off season.

I reckon we're as well positioned to have ongoing tilts at finals footy/premierships as we could possibly be. The only caveat to that is that a lot is still going to rest on the shoulders of our elite midfielders who were left wanting on a few occasions against statistically inferior oppositions last season. It's going to be fascinating watching what the MC have in store for the wings next season. The must have faith in what's currently on the list given their willingness to junk the one reliable winger that we had. I'd love nothing more than one or two of the next level fringe mids like Bedendo to jump up and make the position their own. I suspect this may be the clubs thinking as well.

One thing I think we should do for next year is chasing young key defenders that didn't get drafted who possess points of difference and offering them a spot at Footscray, we can point to how often Footscray VFL players get recruited as a reason why they should sign with us and then seeing how they go through the season. We need to actually start using it as a strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keen for the rookie draft. I anticipate it will be Sullivan. Midfield seems to be the position we will address from now. And whilst he isn't the sexiest pick. His tackling numbers in the VFL crap on the tackling numbers on ANY of our players in the AFL. Does not mean that it will translate to the AFL. But he does seem an obviously Dunkley style replacement who can accumulate and has a defensive side. So I will be good with it.

Even though I prefer a totally new and unknown player, because admittedly we all like new things.

Also after some thinking I think we will be fine with not having addressed wing directly. We keep forgetting we still have players like Treloar and Smith who can both play wide and run. With the additions to the front and back thirds in the offseasons. Suddenly the midfield is an even more crammed up unit. There may be a name or two that might get stuck in the VFL Wallis style that might bum some people out. But at least we should have less inside mids playing a whole game in defence or the forward pocket to plug gaps. We will still use one forward position for resting mids though, which will work fine with the three talls, and then Clarke and Weightman as well.

Will not surprise me to see Macrae take over Hunters position either. Since we do need a bit more run out of the middle. We could see more combos featuring Smith and Treloar along side Bont and Libba.

Sullivan is quick and tackles a lot. I honestly just think that we can't have him and McComb on the same AFL list. We should also be encouraging McComb to be defensively minded as a tackler because he has a big body that he should use more.

Sullivan is quick and tackles a lot. I honestly just think that we can't have him and McComb on the same AFL list. We should also be encouraging McComb to be defensively minded as a tackler because he has a big body that he should use more.
McComb appears a solid unit but his tackling leaves a lot to be desired (if he hasn’t been easily sidestepped before he gets the chance)

I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with us drafting Sullivan as a rookie.

I think a lot of the gnashing of teeth over this selection is that he's 25 and therefore hasn't got a lot of improvement in him. Therefore: known ceiling and will never be elite. Furthermore he probably only has 6-8 good seasons left compared to a teenager who might have 12-14. Well that's all quite true but consider these points:
  • He's low risk. Yes maybe a modest ceiling but also a known floor (and it's not in the basement)
  • He was a standout in the VFL and won the B&F, 5th in the Liston Medal and made the VFL team of the year. Across the season he performed much better than just about every senior-listed player who played VFL alongside him. That probably puts him in the third quartile of our list straight away.
  • He averaged six tackles a game. That's more than Dunkley or Tom Liberatore. If he can produce that in the seniors it's elite level. Particularly useful with Dunkley now gone.
  • He's ready to go, match hardened, so he won't need a pre-season or two to battle it out with AFL level players.
  • Maybe that's all we were after? Some backup and insurance in the midfield after losing Dunkley and in case we lose Libba or someone else to injury. If the Busslinger advocates won out over the midfielder advocates then Sullivan can help us tick over until 2024-25 when our first round midfielders from the 2023 ND click into place. If so, a low-risk reliable-production option like Sullivan makes sense.
  • I don't mind the practice of drafting our best VFL player most years, as an incentive to join the Footscray list and to play well on it. As long as it's not a locked in guarantee every year.
In an ideal year we take two rookies - one speculative, one a known quantity or need. Maybe Oskar Baker is the speculator? Or maybe we won't draft Baker at all and will go for an Ethan Phillips, or someone else?

There is a limit though. If we draft Sullivan I reckon it becomes a comp within a comp between him, McComb, Scott, VDM and McNeil. They aren't all identical players but I reckon we only need about 3 of that type and at least one of them will be off the list in 12 months time. Roarke Smith is one who took time but has graduated from that level to be considered a regular in our best 25, so it shows it can be done.

And despite all the above, we might not even get Sullivan. I think I read at least one other club has shown interest, so someone could get in ahead of us.

No probs, I don’t really like spending high picks on small forwards either but can see the appeal here just because it’s a real point of difference to what we already have IMO - I think he’ll play early too
Still wouldn’t mind aggressively targeting Kai Lohmann to get one back on Brisbane.

I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with us drafting Sullivan as a rookie.

I think a lot of the gnashing of teeth over this selection is that he's 25 and therefore hasn't got a lot of improvement in him. Therefore: known ceiling and will never be elite. Furthermore he probably only has 6-8 good seasons left compared to a teenager who might have 12-14. Well that's all quite true but consider these points:
  • He's low risk. Yes maybe a modest ceiling but also a known floor (and it's not in the basement)
  • He was a standout in the VFL and won the B&F, 5th in the Liston Medal and made the VFL team of the year. Across the season he performed much better than just about every senior-listed player who played VFL alongside him. That probably puts him in the third quartile of our list straight away.
  • He averaged six tackles a game. That's more than Dunkley or Tom Liberatore. If he can produce that in the seniors it's elite level. Particularly useful with Dunkley now gone.
  • He's ready to go, match hardened, so he won't need a pre-season or two to battle it out with AFL level players.
  • Maybe that's all we were after? Some backup and insurance in the midfield after losing Dunkley and in case we lose Libba or someone else to injury. If the Busslinger advocates won out over the midfielder advocates then Sullivan can help us tick over until 2024-25 when our first round midfielders from the 2023 ND click into place. If so, a low-risk reliable-production option like Sullivan makes sense.
  • I don't mind the practice of drafting our best VFL player most years, as an incentive to join the Footscray list and to play well on it. As long as it's not a locked in guarantee every year.
In an ideal year we take two rookies - one speculative, one a known quantity or need. Maybe Oskar Baker is the speculator? Or maybe we won't draft Baker at all and will go for an Ethan Phillips, or someone else?

There is a limit though. If we draft Sullivan I reckon it becomes a comp within a comp between him, McComb, Scott, VDM and McNeil. They aren't all identical players but I reckon we only need about 3 of that type and at least one of them will be off the list in 12 months time. Roarke Smith is one who took time but has graduated from that level to be considered a regular in our best 25, so it shows it can be done.

And despite all the above, we might not even get Sullivan. I think I read at least one other club has shown interest, so someone could get in ahead of us.
Sullivan is more deserving of the spot than McComb was when we drafted him. And that's not intended as a knock on McComb

If we’re adding Baker via SSP then I’m not sure what need Sullivan would fill? Seem to be a few young midfield options with far more upside if we just want inside mid depth.

Weightman. He’s a medium marking forward in a small’s body, and West and Garcia aren’t natural forwards. Clarke brings something unique to our list as a genuine small, quick, crumbing pressure forward.

My biggest issue with drafting Sullivan is that we’ve seen from McComb and Scott that we will play our VFL draftees, above those like West and Garcia who will only reach their potential with AFL time and have way more development and potential in them.
Spot on. It’s debatable whether the output is higher - I mean I would argue Wests output as an example is higher than McComb/Scott’s and Garcias pretty bloody close. But even if you want to argue that McComb/Scott offer more now - is it by enough to justify their position over the others who are close in output but have much much much higher potential. I would argue no, but that’s the way we tend to go…

Same goes for Baker, if we do draft/list him the expectation will be that he plays round 1 and probably 15 games next year. It’s like we have to play them to justify the list spot?

My biggest issue with drafting Sullivan is that we’ve seen from McComb and Scott that we will play our VFL draftees, above those like West and Garcia who will only reach their potential with AFL time and have way more development and potential in them.
Always a tough decision though - play the better player now and maybe win the match? or play the bloke who looks like he has a higher ceiling down the track ... and maybe lose the match?

Nine times out of 10 I'd say pick the best in-form player now. Let them go head to head for a spot in the seniors.

I personally want Magor at our pick myself. Been a fan for awhile. I know he has some consistency issues. But the Rookie draft is where you draft speculative types, or someone weakness that you can try and iron out, whilst building on their strengths.

The reason I prefer taking a chance on him, is that if we can help him find consistency. We will get an inside player with explosive pace who can find the scoreboard. Can play midfield and in the forward line. I stand by the point that I feel our midfield is very flat footed, not damaging enough and could find a couple of more goals. If not Magor, then still someone with a bit of power, that or that gives us something we don't have much of. I am sure there are others out there we can take a chance on.

Smith lacks the polish, Treloar is soft tissue injury prone, Bont Fs his body up carrying the center. I envy watching the Demons, Cats and Blues flip us over with players just powering out of the middle.

I agree with some of the above posters. That aside from tackling numbers, Sullivan gives us more of the same of what we already have, and lesser growth potential given age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back