List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t rate myself as insightful when it comes to assessing young players so this is a genuine question rather than trying to spark an argument - do those who have experience rate Garcia as likely to become “ a leading midfielder “? My assessment is that he shows glimpses that he could become a best 22 player but I didn’t know if we will move into the elite class so drafting a mid who could become that will still be high on my list.
I'm not sure if he has the weapons to become an elite mid. He's not big or powerful but does hit above his weight, his disposal isn't great but has improved a lot over the year so hopefully that continues, he's not great overhead and he probably doesn't win enough ball to be a Lachie Niel type accumulator.
I do really like his energy and his improvement over the year so hopefully he can continue to develop and lock down a midfield role in the future.

NGA update for this draft

Deng Lual age was finally been cleared, took ages for nab league to update it

Alex Tsia: 180cm 17 years old 2022 Draft
6 Games Played: 3 Goals 5.5Dpg 1.0mpg

Deng Lual- 192cm 2022 Draft Ruck/Defender Role
10 Games played: 10.4dpg 1.7mpg 3.0tpg 6.0hitpg
Is he related to the Lual we have next year?

Well it might not necessarily be up to us. West is still unsigned and I have concerns that Garcia with his injury history may want to head back west.
I don't remember who but an itk poster said that Shache is likely to be traded to Collingwood (although is likely only a third) and Hunter maybe also a third? If JJ goes as an FA we might get third round compo if we're lucky.

There are always trades that we don't see coming so it's really all speculation.

Schache to Pies for a third is almost a certainty.
JJ FA compo is unlikely to even be a third and probably zero.
Hunter we can ask for a third but I think he has no value.

Unless someone else goes, Dunkley, Garcia, Smith or West; I doubt we get anything else of value in terms of picks.

NGA update for this draft

Deng Lual age was finally been cleared, took ages for nab league to update it

Alex Tsia: 180cm 17 years old 2022 Draft
6 Games Played: 3 Goals 5.5Dpg 1.0mpg

Deng Lual- 192cm 2022 Draft Ruck/Defender Role
10 Games played: 10.4dpg 1.7mpg 3.0tpg 6.0hitpg
A 192cm ruck you say! Bevo loves this.

Schache to Pies for a third is almost a certainty.
JJ FA compo is unlikely to even be a third and probably zero.
Hunter we can ask for a third but I think he has no value.

Unless someone else goes, Dunkley, Garcia, Smith or West; I doubt we get anything else of value in terms of picks.

No way Schache is worth a 3rd. He is out of contract.

Hunter would have more value than Schache.

Which of the top 10 mid prospects has the most aggressive defensive mindset? We could use someone like Jai Newcombe but hopefully they can kick.

Elijah Hewett is definitely one. He goes missing offensively at times, but defensively he's quite good and aggressive. I've sometimes thought he has a bit of Clay Smith about him at times.

Humphrey too is quite a physical beast, loves a contest. I'm a bit of a fan.

Oliver Hollands and Jhye Clarke are quite good defensively also, more in the way Brayshaw plays though.

Question for the draft watchers - if we were to end up with a top 5 pick from a Dunkley trade, would you prefer to draft Busslinger top 5 and then a mid with our current first rounder (ie. George/Gibney/Hollands) OR take an elite mid (ie. Tsatsas/Philipou/McKenzie) top 5 and then get a KPD later in the draft?
I would take Busslinger a good defender with good footskills compliments our back 6 then whatever best available mid after that

Question for the draft watchers - if we were to end up with a top 5 pick from a Dunkley trade, would you prefer to draft Busslinger top 5 and then a mid with our current first rounder (ie. George/Gibney/Hollands) OR take an elite mid (ie. Tsatsas/Philipou/McKenzie) top 5 and then get a KPD later in the draft?
If Busslinger is available at our first pick we should be taking him without thinking twice regardless of other movements. He's the best key defender in the draft comfortably and there's no guarantees that any of the other good options would be available by the time we pick again.

In the unlikely situation that first pick comes in as a result of losing Dunkley and we still have our own first I'd be looking to use that on a Hollands, Gibney or George as you suggest, who can turn into mids in time but will likely start out contributing in other areas of need for us, Gibney down back and George/Hollands as creative and damaging half forwards.

I'd be happy for West and Garcia to rotate through the midfield to give us some point of difference through there as long as we've covered their output in the forward line.

All probably a moot point though, 10-1 Dunkley stays.

We really need to draft a big-bodied inside mid bull. Like a Rowell or Newcombe type. I want us to start developing our next generation midfield for when Bont and Macrae slow down. We'll have the tall timber with Naughts, Jamarra and Darcy so we need to make sure that their midfield is adequate.

Henry Hustwaite and Brayden George are intesting for this. Both have second positions they can play in, so they can play at AFL level right away instead of spending two years playing midfield in the VFL then ******* off to another team who offers them midfield minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’re taking a mid early I’d hope they have some sort of point of difference. George sounds like he has that in that he’s that powerful burst mid/fwd we don’t really have and tend to tear us apart.
Yeah agreed, and only if Dunks left too.

But if he does go (and I’d prefer to keep him) I’d like to draft a highly rated big bodied inside burst mid with pace - would probably compliment our current crop better than Dunks, and someone who can play forward too and start his career there.

Sounds like there’s better defender options at our next picks

Henry Hustwaite and Brayden George are intesting for this. Both have second positions they can play in, so they can play at AFL level right away instead of spending two years playing midfield in the VFL then ******* off to another team who offers them midfield minutes.

Could Henry Histwaite play as a defender at AFL? It appears a good position for him.

There’s good defenders & small forwards in that late first round range right? Would love to get our hands on 2 top 10 picks (ie ours and Ports) and downgrade one for two picks in that range, walk away with 1x big bodied mid/fwd, 1x key defender, 1x small forward

Ie. Phillipou, Konstanty, Hayes etc, or hopefully still Buss at first pick but would be surprised

If Busslinger is available at our first pick we should be taking him without thinking twice regardless of other movements. He's the best key defender in the draft comfortably and there's no guarantees that any of the other good options would be available by the time we pick again.

In the unlikely situation that first pick comes in as a result of losing Dunkley and we still have our own first I'd be looking to use that on a Hollands, Gibney or George as you suggest, who can turn into mids in time but will likely start out contributing in other areas of need for us, Gibney down back and George/Hollands as creative and damaging half forwards.

I'd be happy for West and Garcia to rotate through the midfield to give us some point of difference through there as long as we've covered their output in the forward line.

All probably a moot point though, 10-1 Dunkley stays.
Is he really a key defender?
There are talent scouts who consider him an intercept defender.

He’s definitely been used more as a loose interceptor by WA but that seems like a tactical decision more than anything else. He was notable not sent to Jefferson in the game where Jefferson got his big bag of 6/7 but that being said, WA had a pretty poor champs despite a decent squad so I’d be asking questions of their coaching more than Busslinger.

I think at his height he has to be considered a key defender even if he hasn’t yet demonstrated a great one on one ability. Most key defenders do start out as third tall types while they develop and I don’t think he would be any exception.

He does look more like an interceptor to me also, but I would think he could play as a 2nd tall. He played key defence against one of the best kids for next year in Walter and played quite well. Walter toweled up Weddle earlier in the carnival and is a pretty big kid.

Don’t think Busslinger has the speed or athleticism of say Gibcus, which worries me.

It's a fair criticism. I don't think it's a major weakness, but his speed is a weakness.

Hustwaite likewise, his speed and athleticism is a concern for a defender. Agility is pretty decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back