List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key point ought to be that last date: Final AFL Club List Lodgement 4pm tomorrow 1 December.
Except it's clearly not the "final" list.

So don't hold your breath waiting for clarity.

When was our last big draft and rookie haul?

So 3 picks in total this year which is pretty much the minimum, right?

Oddly confident about the list for a side that was belted in it's first final after Bradburying it's way into 8th.

When was our last big draft and rookie haul?

So 3 picks in total this year which is pretty much the minimum, right?

Oddly confident about the list for a side that was belted in it's first final after Bradburying it's way into 8th.

We can take two players in the supplemental selection period after they’ve trained with us for a month or two. Makes sense to give rookies a chance to see how they vibe with our team before committing to them.

Since that it looks like we will have a a bunch of players probably train with us across the preseason, in order to earn the final two list spots in the SSP. I'd like the club to release a weekly video, where the said players are put through some challenges, and at the end of the week, the listed players vote to remove one at a tribal council.

Then when we get down to the final few players. Get them to stand in the middle of Whitten Oval construction site , and fight to the death in a Gladiator style match in front of the clubs members. Where we can give them a thumbs up or thumbs down. And the final two left standing, earn a spot on our list.

At least that would make summer entertaining, over that thing they call cricket.

Since that it looks like we will have a a bunch of players probably train with us across the preseason, in order to earn the final two list spots in the SSP. I'd like the club to release a weekly video, where the said players are put through some challenges, and at the end of the week, the listed players vote to remove one at a tribal council.

Then when we get down to the final few players. Get them to stand in the middle of Whitten Oval construction site , and fight to the death in a Gladiator style match in front of the clubs members. Where we can give them a thumbs up or thumbs down. And the final two left standing, earn a spot on our list.

At least that would make summer entertaining, over that thing they call cricket.
Send that into Ameet. He might buy it.

How does someone like Ethan Phillips who was awarded Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal, which is awarded to the VFL’s most promising Under 23 talent not get picked in the national or rookie draft. He’s 19cms and 96 kgs who’s a strong one-on-one defender. does this sound like someone we could use???

How does someone like Ethan Phillips who was awarded Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal, which is awarded to the VFL’s most promising Under 23 talent not get picked in the national or rookie draft. He’s 19cms and 96 kgs who’s a strong one-on-one defender. does this sound like someone we could use???

This might be the reason !! :p

There's talk of him lining up for a SPP spot for a club
Been in the works for a bit now

How do I super like a post?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeez, I was just going to suggest a dance-off

We can take two players in the supplemental selection period after they’ve trained with us for a month or two. Makes sense to give rookies a chance to see how they vibe with our team before committing to them.

I guess. You would have to hope something is in the works when we're not really active in trades, take bare minimum at the draft (having said that very happy with our three, but they're not winning games off their own boot next year) and sit out the rookie draft.

Happy with Buss.
Even IF he doesn’t develop a strong 1v1 game, he is still an intercept defender who can kick really well. It’s going to be something we regularly see, as his positioning and reading of the play are strong parts of his game. This could release Dale to play higher or push Daniel forward….

Clarke would have played for us this year and certainly will next year. Weightman will hopefully pay attention to Clarke and develop that side of his game too. Good pick and will replace one of those who has been getting games, who isn’t AFL standard.

I can’t say much about someone I haven’t watched or noticed. So I will reserve judgment. Only Phillips, Keeler or Magor were the only other viable options at that pick that I liked. So not going to be critical if it doesn’t work out either.

Good trade period.
Replaced Scahche (fwd) with Lobb, who can play main banana, while Schache was a flanker. So big win there.
Replaced Cordy with Jones, massive upgrade.
Lost Dunkley but get his replacement (Callaghan?) next year. We had too many midfielders anyway. Perhaps less time split will produce better results.

Ginbey and Weddle were my two favourites BUT the price the Hawks paid to move up to get Weddle was too much for my taste.

Next year we target a player or two and hopefully still have 2 early picks left to draft with.

Solid off season:
A-

Hopefully there's no piss farting around like the last couple of days.

:thumbsu: An under-utilised expression!

Not wanting to rain on your parades, but is it missing a hyphen? While "piss" and "fart" are separate functions from separate anatomical locations, I've always understood the term itself to conjoin them for juxtapositional effect? Unless there's an intended slight grammatical pause between them that I've always incorrectly ignored. Are they an open or hyphenated compound? Such a conundrum. (Obviously not a closed compound, that is just bordering on psychopathy.)

I know it is 10 months away. But it is going to be interesting to see what picks we end up with in 2023. In all honesty it will be very much a similar haul to what we had this year. If Brisbane and the Dogs both make the Grand Final, it will be 17, 18 and 36. So a slight drop back on one pick, and a slight up grade on two.

It won't happen, but secretly we'd be hoping Brisbane have a down year and drive those picks higher up the board. Would be nice to have a pick in the singles, teens and twenties.

We will also be in a stronger position to trade in a high quality player as well, or trade up the order with a better hand.

I know it is 10 months away. But it is going to be interesting to see what picks we end up with in 2023. In all honesty it will be very much a similar haul to what we had this year. If Brisbane and the Dogs both make the Grand Final, it will be 17, 18 and 36. So a slight drop back on one pick, and a slight up grade on two.

It won't happen, but secretly we'd be hoping Brisbane have a down year and drive those picks higher up the board. Would be nice to have a pick in the singles, teens and twenties.

We will also be in a stronger position to trade in a high quality player as well, or trade up the order with a better hand.
We really just need Milesi to be an above average recruiter from here. I’ve got Dalrymple as the best in the game. Not expecting Milesi to be like him, but if he’s above average, our list really will be set for extended success.

I don't think our desire for Brisbane to finish lower, given we hold their F1, would be all that secret tbh.

I may be in the minority but I don't have a problem with us drafting Sullivan as a rookie.

I think a lot of the gnashing of teeth over this selection is that he's 25 and therefore hasn't got a lot of improvement in him. Therefore: known ceiling and will never be elite. Furthermore he probably only has 6-8 good seasons left compared to a teenager who might have 12-14. Well that's all quite true but consider these points:
  • He's low risk. Yes maybe a modest ceiling but also a known floor (and it's not in the basement)
  • He was a standout in the VFL and won the B&F, 5th in the Liston Medal and made the VFL team of the year. Across the season he performed much better than just about every senior-listed player who played VFL alongside him. That probably puts him in the third quartile of our list straight away.
  • He averaged six tackles a game. That's more than Dunkley or Tom Liberatore. If he can produce that in the seniors it's elite level. Particularly useful with Dunkley now gone.
  • He's ready to go, match hardened, so he won't need a pre-season or two to battle it out with AFL level players.
  • Maybe that's all we were after? Some backup and insurance in the midfield after losing Dunkley and in case we lose Libba or someone else to injury. If the Busslinger advocates won out over the midfielder advocates then Sullivan can help us tick over until 2024-25 when our first round midfielders from the 2023 ND click into place. If so, a low-risk reliable-production option like Sullivan makes sense.
  • I don't mind the practice of drafting our best VFL player most years, as an incentive to join the Footscray list and to play well on it. As long as it's not a locked in guarantee every year.
In an ideal year we take two rookies - one speculative, one a known quantity or need. Maybe Oskar Baker is the speculator? Or maybe we won't draft Baker at all and will go for an Ethan Phillips, or someone else?

There is a limit though. If we draft Sullivan I reckon it becomes a comp within a comp between him, McComb, Scott, VDM and McNeil. They aren't all identical players but I reckon we only need about 3 of that type and at least one of them will be off the list in 12 months time. Roarke Smith is one who took time but has graduated from that level to be considered a regular in our best 25, so it shows it can be done.

And despite all the above, we might not even get Sullivan. I think I read at least one other club has shown interest, so someone could get in ahead of us.

Agree. So many supporters struggle with accepting the lowest cost (draft and salary) players won't be potential guns. Someone who can contribute if needed vs highly speculative future. There's fair arguments both ways

I don't think our desire for Brisbane to finish lower, given we hold their F1, would be all that secret tbh.
Of cause. Just saying I will be watching it with interest.

The BEST case scenario is crazy IF it happened and they finished last. Would end up with 3 picks in the top 20 :oops: Imagine!

I’m okay with using the train on option over the rookie list but I still only want 1 mature addition at the most, keep a pick for the MSD if there’s not a kid we want this year.

Gallagher for example could have been taken as a MSD pick this year we used a top 40 pick (I get he was overlooked for a reason just an example)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back