List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any genuine options, do you think? I don't know who is available, just thought any viable ones would have been picked in the ND/rookie draft, unless any hidden gems who qualify are now in the picture.
They tend to become clear as the season goes on - Ramsden fills an obvious need, but will probably be gone by the time we got a pick. There's plenty of guys who trained with clubs this year and haven't been drafted yet (like Schlensog).

Last year, Hawks got Newcombe, Essendon got Durham, Richmond got Parker, Carlton got Boyd, West Coast got West - all these guys have played, and some even extended their contracts already due to impressing quickly.

Have to take into account our salary cap
We might not use the mid season mainly because we can't afford an extra xx amount of money

Jordan currently at Calder Cannons as an under-age so he's 2023 draft pool
While Mitch is currently on a volleyball scholarship in NSW
Cheers for the info Vital, so potentially we could do some trades in this year's draft to address some areas of need, and still ensure we have points for Jordan in 2023. I haven't seen any 2023 mocks or how Jordan is tracking??
Loved his dad as a player and a person, just a stand-up dude.
Potentially another 2 sons of guns we need point for, Its like a 1995 reunion for their Kids
Max Darcy - (2023 Draft)
Jack Johnson - (2023 Draft)

Have to take into account our salary cap
We might not use the mid season mainly because we can't afford an extra xx amount of money
Surely we couldn't be that tight? With performance incentives being an unknown amount, I doubt any club lets themselves get that close.

Surely we couldn't be that tight? With performance incentives being an unknown amount, I doubt any club lets themselves get that close.

Zero chance we're that tight, we have wiggle room thanks to Bont/Libba taking unders on their last contracts.

The dog's someone with Max's skillset developing in the worse possible way.
If big Stef can't reliably get up, maybe a handshake agreement to retire before the Midseason.
Maybe he could possibly fit into a backup Ruck/KPD

From the same article
The article states Max moves really well, He plays like another on-baller
Max is “202 centimetres, he looks like Max King. He can move around the ground. Ran a 6:04 in the 2km time trial. In the combine a couple of years ago Matt Rowell ran a 6:17, so he can move.”
He is the exact prototype of player that we need to invest in. With interest in him high can't see us being in the frame due to probable ladder position. He will be snapped before we even get a look in most likely. Would like us to take a punt on him just can't see it coming about unfortunately

Are there any genuine options, do you think? I don't know who is available, just thought any viable ones would have been picked in the ND/rookie draft, unless any hidden gems who qualify are now in the picture.
With how things have panned out in the last 2 years should be a number of gems available, late developers and missing lots of football. A lot will come down to whether we think there is anyone worthwhile at our likely spot to have a pick.

He is the exact prototype of player that we need to invest in. With interest in him high can't see us being in the frame due to probable ladder position. He will be snapped before we even get a look in most likely. Would like us to take a punt on him just can't see it coming about unfortunately
I do have some hope due to other teams' current lists.
I guess the reality will be who needs a backup ruck developing that sits lower on the ladder than the dogs with a list spot.
Currently, outside of the 8 Essendon, WCE, Port, Crows, GWS, Richmond, and St Kilda all have a locked-in 1st choice ruck and a recognised backup.
Only the Roo's and suns are shambles, but do they have an LTI or retirement spot available and are in need of a Ruck?

I do have some hope due to other teams' current lists.
I guess the reality will be who needs a backup ruck developing that sits lower on the ladder than the dogs with a list spot.
Currently, outside of the 8 Essendon, WCE, Port, Crows, GWS, Richmond, and St Kilda all have a locked-in 1st choice ruck and a recognised backup.
Only the Roo's and suns are shambles, but do they have an LTI or retirement spot available and are in need of a Ruck?

Roos did get Jacob Edwards as a long term ruck in last year’s mid season draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect with our first pick we'll still take the best available. It's been most clubs' policy for many years.

Re-signing Dunkley and English won’t be cheap plus Dale.
Those resignings will only affect our cap from 2023 onwards. Midseason draft is purely about 2022 .

Mid season draftees are on basic pro rata (not full season) rookie contracts, so impact on cap would be very minimal

I suspect with our first pick we'll still take the best available. It's been most clubs' policy for many years.
And that's a great policy for the national draft, get talent in and sort out the rest later( Dale was a CHF not in the best 22, now a CHB...AA)
If the dogs get a mid-season pick it will be from 2 forms.
Darcy is placed on LTI
Stef is cooked
In that case, I'd hope Sammy goes for a position of need, With Keathy out and Stef not available, it's never been more apparent that the kennel needs a more dedicated backup ruck/KPD developing.

And that's a great policy for the national draft, get talent in and sort out the rest later( Dale was a CHF not in the best 22, now a CHB...AA)
If the dogs get a mid-season pick it will be from 2 forms.
Darcy is placed on LTI
Stef is cooked
In that case, I'd hope Sammy goes for a position of need, With Keathy out and Stef not available, it's never been more apparent that the kennel needs a more dedicated backup ruck/KPD developing.
TBH I actually think later picks in the draft should be considering needs as well, given the differences in talent at the back end are likely to be marginal.

Weightman, our last first round pick from the open draft, seemed a definite case of drafting for needs.
Some ITKs suggest we may have selected Bergman if he was available. Pickett, Bergman, Weightman in that order.

Weightman, our last first round pick from the open draft, seemed a definite case of drafting for needs.
I think the only time you can say a draft selection is clearly for needs is when they are picked well before the market expects.

In Weightmans case, most draft experts graded him a 12-18 pick, so we picked him around his expectations.

I think the only time you can say a draft selection is clearly for needs is when they are picked well before the market expects.

In Weightmans case, most draft experts graded him a 12-18 pick, so we picked him around his expectations.
And sometimes you get a happy convergence of best available AND needs.
Aaron Naughton is another that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back