List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hmm a strong marking key defender from Perth sounds great tbh, we need to get our hands on him.

Otherwise I’m okay with a general forward but I’d probably just rather trade up or down to a key defender.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A whole lotta ~180cm midfielders rated in the top 5 there, surely clubs learn soon?

A midfielder would have to be an extraordinary talent for me to use a top 5 pick on them. I’d just take the highest offer on the table on draft night, not saying you can’t be a good player at 180cm in the midfield but when do they ever end up being the best handful of players from the draft in the long run!

Those midfielders might be rated top 5 BUT there are likely to be a lot of talls being drafted ahead of them. It’s a draft with good KPFs, rucks and a KPD; likely to be top 10 picks.

It’s a draft I like our options to find some really good players. It’s a deep draft IMO, as the top 70+ all look capable.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Matt Rowell could be.
He’s got a longggg way to go, currently I’d prefer Anderson, Jackson, Serong, Green, Pickett, Cody, De Koning over him - I think they all have better careers.

I understand he’s had some injury troubles so will give him time but at this stage he’s a middle of the road inside bull with literally zero else to his game. I really don’t see higher upside than say Dunks tbh

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
He’s got a longggg way to go, currently I’d prefer Anderson, Jackson, Serong, Green, Pickett, Cody, De Koning over him - I think they all have better careers.

I understand he’s had some injury troubles so will give him time but at this stage he’s a middle of the road inside bull with literally zero else to his game. I really don’t see higher upside than say Dunks tbh

I'd definitely have Tom Green as pick 1 at this point of time from that draft with Jackson as pick 2.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Lewis Hayes (brother of Port Adelaide ruck Sam Hayes) is one name that's been mentioned.

Plenty of extra options at KPF. Below is taken from PMBanger's draft thread (which is good reading) from the start of June. Isaac Keeler another SA forward/ruck who dominated the state game on the weekend will probably push into this list in the next update.

05-06-2022-png.1417308

Below is his view on whether any of the KPFs could transition to KPD roles.
Scully too high smh

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t get me wrong there’s obviously gun midfielders in that ~180cm range but the risk-reward means you don’t take them at the top of the draft. Rowell, Serong, Neale & Miller are all good examples. Serongs better than Rowell and he was taken pick 8, Miller & Neale in the 30s & 50s. I wouldn’t waste a pick on those types when chances are they won’t be in the top few players of their draft and if they are they’re usually found later. Take the risk on a tall, athletic mid or a KPP when you have the chance.

Rankines the only one recently which was a talent you’d take the risk on IMO.

Norf look to have gone down this route again with Phillips

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For our ubiquitous Scray rookie

Josh Kellett off half-back – Carlton had a lot of talented small forwards, and Josh was significant in being able to nullify the influence of some of those guys. He really impressed.

Duryea not getting any younger. Scray not boasting KPD depth, a small lockdown defender could be a decent shout.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Is Hayes the next best KPD after the Buss? Big gap between KPDs this draft it looks like.
Yeah really s**t draft for them tbh. Hustwaite would be my next best even though I don't realy think he'll be a 'true' KPD at the next level, but after him it has to be Hayes

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah really s**t draft for them tbh. Hustwaite would be my next best even though I don't realy think he'll be a 'true' KPD at the next level, but after him it has to be Hayes

I think we've got a lot of guys who are tallish but not "true" KPDs, we picked up three 190cm defenders last year. Probably need a Van Es or Hayes.

Dogs5416

Rookie
Sep 29, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for the info on KPD’s.

I think our list could use 2 developing talls if they think Darcy is a forward than 2 key defenders and if they think Darcy is going to be a key back than we should draft 1 key back and 1 key forward. Throw in a pressure forward and our list will look much more balanced.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for the info on KPD’s.

I think our list could use 2 developing talls if they think Darcy is a forward than 2 key defenders and if they think Darcy is going to be a key back than we should draft 1 key back and 1 key forward. Throw in a pressure forward and our list will look much more balanced.

Isaac Keeler could be a possibility at our first pick. KPF/ruck who I reckon could also play well in the back line. Adelaide NGA. Keeler, Van Es, and Seth Campbell would make a decent draft.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Yes I do although I never saw him play (not many did). He came across as a boom recruit with high aspirations when we were developing the side that played deep into the finals in the late 90s. We'd waited two years from the time we drafted him. However he only ended up playing three games. This article from the Coodabeens says he had some injuries but it seems strange for a young man described as "mature" and "disciplined" that he was delisted at the end of his first season. It sounds like there was a bit more to it ... but I'm only reading between the lines.

You know less is more. Brevity is the essence of genius. English playwright Noel Coward once remarked that wit is like caviar. It should be savoured in small quantities not lashed around like jam.
A footballer who had all these qualities was Sam Phillipou. The Western Bulldogs were really keen to secure the big key position player. They traded Darren Baxter to Hawthorn to draft Sam the man with 1992 national draft pick 29. But the Bullies had to wait for the Woodville-West Torrens star to cross the border. Phillipou was a young champion at SANFL level. He was as big and agile as an athlete whose surname has a few more esses. Philippoussis. Super Sam was 189 centimetres tall and tilted the scales at 90 kilograms. Opponents found it difficult to out position him in marking contests. Furthermore his ground game was competent.
The big fellow finally arrived at the kennel at the end of the 1994 season. The Bullies gave their recruit the number 21 guernsey. It wasn't given to just anyone. The jumper had been worn with distinction by such players as Tony Buhagiar and Steven Kolyniuk. His pre-season form created optimism. Though only 20 years old SP had a mature attitude. The new powerhouse was a disciplined and organised bloke who followed instructions to the letter. Also he liked to join Libba for extra gym work.
When the 1995 season started Phillipou got his sea legs in the reserves. He took pack marks like he was leaping at a tennis ball. Also he had a kick like Haile Gebrselassie in the 10000 metres final at the Sydney Olympics. The solid South Australian received a senior call up in round 8 against the Roos at the Whitten Oval. He came off the bench and got involved. Across half back took a pair of power marks in the third quarter. On one occasion he delivered the ball with elegance to Brad Johnson who kept running and goaled. Unfortunately the Sammy debut was not crowned with success. The Kangas won 15.15 to 13.6.
Phillipou was in the starting group the following week against Essendon at the MCG. Lined up at centre half forward. The selection caused an immediate impact. 20 minutes into the first term the P guy marked in the middle of a pack. He goaled from right on 50. Early in the second he made a yard for a diving mark and in the one movement handpassed to Steve MacPherson who ran in a straight line and booted truly from 35. And close to three quarter time the number 21 worked his way to the front of a pack and took a monster grab. Don backmen punching his forearms and attempting to spoil from the back were like throwing cream puffs at the town hall. Phillipou went back and goaled from 40 on a 60 degree angle. In spite of the Phil heroics the Dogs lost 15.11 to 9.13. The bitter pill was the EJ Whitten Cup being presented to Essendon.
Sam Phillipou played in the round 10 game against the Tigers at the G. Appeared at centre half back. Did alright. Doggies down 13.18 to 9.10. Thereafter Sammo had a few injury problems. His intention was to return via the twos. Sadly he was delisted at the end of his one and only season.
Three games. A career that was short and sweet.
We need to remember that back then 189cm was a decent height and tall enough to be a KPF if you're solid enough (and he was, even as a 20yo). Probably the equivalent of 193cm in today's scale of things. Which is roughly how tall Matteus is.

Seems like Sam played another 10 years in the SANFL for both W-WT and Port Adelaide before retiring in 2005, but I have no idea how he went.

Anyone know the back story of why he was de-listed? Did he achieve any glory in the SANFL?
Hey dogwatch, I remember Phillipou. My memory was not quite as flattering as that article. Thought he looked ok in the ressies, didn't think he had much impact in the senior games I saw him play (not sure which games they were, would have to go back and refer to my Footy record collection!). I used to rate players at the end of each season back then, I certainly didn't rate him favourably compared to other young talls on the list. Although back then they were all young - Grant, Standfield, Grgic, Southern, Hargraves, Sexton, Croft, Darcy and Nicholl. Cox and Ellis were talls at that stage in height, but mainly played flanks or utility roles that early in their career (Ellis followed Kouta in defence and on-ball in a game one day at the G in what was a bit of a breakout game for him).

On his Wikipedia page, seems to be two old Age articles that may shed some light, but they require a Fairfax subscription, which I don't have.

The only other tidbits I could find are these 2:

Basically a review of a schools match in Adelaide early 90s (Phillipou played for Combined State High Schools vs Combined Independent Schools).
Some comments follow up on some of the participants' later senior careers, including this one:

"Phillipou always wanted to be drafted by the Cats… was never sure why he only played 3 AFL games for the Bulldogs for someone with so much talent."

A 2007 thread from WOOF titled "Players that have sucked you in" (some recognisable posters from BF feature in the posts! As does the article you quoted.) The OP in that thread opined:

"Phillipou was drafted by the Dogs two years before he decided to make the move. He was a highly touted key forward and I watched his progress each Monday in the paper to see if he had kicked a few goals or had been mentioned in the best players. After being so eager for two years for him to arrive at the club I was hugely disappointed to see him in an SANFL grand final and he played like a Dog. He was slow and not particularly strong in a contest and to make matters worse he really couldn't even run out quarters. At the 20 min mark, he would really hit the wall and no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't get any fitter
Has anyone got anything else they can add Sam Phillipou?"

(Interestingly in that schools game, Independent Schools' team featured Sean Wellman, Marty McKinnon, Ben Hart and Nick Holland, while High Schools had Che Cockatoo-Collins, Mark Ricciuto, Daryl Wakelin, Chris Groom (aka Not Andrew McLeod!), Sam Phillipou and Randall Bone.)

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Hey dogwatch, I remember Phillipou. My memory was not quite as flattering as that article. Thought he looked ok in the ressies, didn't think he had much impact in the senior games I saw him play (not sure which games they were, would have to go back and refer to my Footy record collection!). I used to rate players at the end of each season back then, I certainly didn't rate him favourably compared to other young talls on the list. Although back then they were all young - Grant, Standfield, Grgic, Southern, Hargraves, Sexton, Croft, Darcy and Nicholl. Cox and Ellis were talls at that stage in height, but mainly played flanks or utility roles that early in their career (Ellis followed Kouta in defence and on-ball in a game one day at the G in what was a bit of a breakout game for him).

On his Wikipedia page, seems to be two old Age articles that may shed some light, but they require a Fairfax subscription, which I don't have.

Basically a review of a schools match in Adelaide early 90s (Phillipou played for Combined State High Schools vs Combined Independent Schools).
Some comments follow up on some of the participants' later senior careers, including this one:

"Phillipou always wanted to be drafted by the Cats… was never sure why he only played 3 AFL games for the Bulldogs for someone with so much talent."

A 2007 thread from WOOF titled "Players that have sucked you in" (some recognisable posters from BF feature in the posts! As does the article you quoted.) The OP in that thread opined:

"Phillipou was drafted by the Dogs two years before he decided to make the move. He was a highly touted key forward and I watched his progress each Monday in the paper to see if he had kicked a few goals or had been mentioned in the best players. After being so eager for two years for him to arrive at the club I was hugely disappointed to see him in an SANFL grand final and he played like a Dog. He was slow and not particularly strong in a contest and to make matters worse he really couldn't even run out quarters. At the 20 min mark, he would really hit the wall and no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't get any fitter

(Interestingly in that schools game, Independent Schools' team featured Sean Wellman, Marty McKinnon, Ben Hart and Nick Holland, while High Schools had Che Cockatoo-Collins, Mark Ricciuto, Daryl Wakelin, Chris Groom (aka Not Andrew McLeod!), Sam Phillipou and Randall Bone.)

From my memory Phillipou would struggle to run out of site in a fog.
Also had no size advantage at the top level , doubt he would have had a long career over here.

From my memory Phillipou would struggle to run out of site in a fog.
Also had no size advantage at the top level , doubt he would have had a long career over here.

Sounds like there's no juicy back story then.
Just another vaunted SA player who wasn't quite up to it. Sort of sounds like Matt Panos, eh?

I don't know how strong the genes are but it sets off alarm bells if anyone is talking up Mattaes Phillipou as a prospect.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Why is he too high? I'm yet to see him play, sounds like he's going well in SANFL U18's though. Just read knightmare's rankings (ESPN), he has him ranked at 4.
In revision I got over excited, he's had some good SANFL U18s form but he's not really showing as many transferable traits as you'd expect from the performances, namely that his marking execution isn't convincing even when not under pressure

Isaac Keeler could be a possibility at our first pick. KPF/ruck who I reckon could also play well in the back line. Adelaide NGA. Keeler, Van Es, and Seth Campbell would make a decent draft.
We're in an era where some former rucks are playing KPD. McEvoy was playing CHB, Keefe at GWS, Roughy.

Depends how recruiters project their development

For our ubiquitous Scray rookie

Duryea not getting any younger. Scray not boasting KPD depth, a small lockdown defender could be a decent shout.
We can lock in Lachie Sullivan for a rookie pick

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Now that would be a great draft. Covers our needs well and has players likely to be available at those spots for us.

BUT

I would give it all up for Busslinger. He will be the next great KPD and could play third tall (interceptor) for us as he builds his strength up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back