List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vic Metro v WA gives me a lot more confidence in this year's draft. Was a very good standard.

Jefferson just beat Schache's 6 goals at the champs, kicked 7 goals straight and took a hanger. Did it in a different way to Schache, Boyd etc. Very athletic player and spent some time in the ruck. Looks to have a bit of aggression in his game also. Models his game on Charlie Curnow and Aaron Naughton. He might be one to consider at our pick.

Busslinger played as the interceptor and was solid. That game wouldn't convince you that he's a top 5 or even a top 10 pick though. For some reason, he didn't play on Jefferson and didn't really impact when Vic Metro kicked 5 or 6 goals in a 10 - 15 minute period. Maybe there's a chance he's available at our pick?

Lewis Hayes was been pretty solid in both games. Very composed and courageous going back with the flight. Pretty skinny though and may take some time. Might be a good one at our 2nd round pick.

Should be some pretty good midfielders at our pick if Dunkley leaves also. I would seriously think about putting a bid on Alwyn Davey (Essendon father/son) at our first pick regardless. Looks super skilled and good around goals. Played very well in the two games. Plus it will piss off Dodo.

The Vic Metro v WA gives me a lot more confidence in this year's draft. Was a very good standard.

Jefferson just beat Schache's 6 goals at the champs, kicked 7 goals straight and took a hanger. Did it in a different way to Schache, Boyd etc. Very athletic player and spent some time in the ruck. Looks to have a bit of aggression in his game also. Models his game on Charlie Curnow and Aaron Naughton. He might be one to consider at our pick.

Busslinger played as the interceptor and was solid. That game wouldn't convince you that he's a top 5 or even a top 10 pick though. For some reason, he didn't play on Jefferson and didn't really impact when Vic Metro kicked 5 or 6 goals in a 10 - 15 minute period. Maybe there's a chance he's available at our pick?

Lewis Hayes was been pretty solid in both games. Very composed and courageous going back with the flight. Pretty skinny though and may take some time. Might be a good one at our 2nd round pick.

Should be some pretty good midfielders at our pick if Dunkley leaves also. I would seriously think about putting a bid on Alwyn Davey (Essendon father/son) at our first pick regardless. Looks super skilled and good around goals. Played very well in the two games. Plus it will piss off Dodo.
Two things to keep in mind with our picks (before trading in a gun ready-made KPD of course) are:
  1. We have North’s 3rd rounder so essentially and extra late 2nd rounder
  2. A whole heap of picks in the 20s-40s presumably disappear from Bris matching bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher.
Do you see Jefferson as being able to play in the backline?

Two things to keep in mind with our picks (before trading in a gun ready-made KPD of course) are:
  1. We have North’s 3rd rounder so essentially and extra late 2nd rounder
  2. A whole heap of picks in the 20s-40s presumably disappear from Bris matching bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher.
Do you see Jefferson as being able to play in the backline?

Yes I think he can. I've read he played as a defender in some APS matches and looked decent. Hasn't been given much of a go though. He certainly looks competitive enough and has a bit of aggression which is always good for a defender.

Yes it will be interesting to see where Davey ends up in the draft as well, he's had two pretty good games so far. I think he will go first round if he keeps performing the way he has which is good for us. We could also trade up our 2nd and 3rd round pick for Brisbanes 1st. That would give them more points for Ashcroft, but I'd expect they would want more so we would have to be a bit crafty.

I would like to see us keep our first round pick if possible, there's plenty of talls to like around that point in the draft. It would be more ideal if we could use our future 1st in a trade.

There's quite few talls to like right across the board though, so it should be interesting. This is what I've got so far.

1st round

Unlikely

Busslinger - KPD. Intercept defender that can lock down.

Keeler - KPF/2nd ruck. Very athletic, good mark, exciting and very marketable

Probable

Jefferson - KPF. See above. Would like to see him in the back line a bit more

Barnett - Ruck/KPD/KPF. Not exactly sure what he is yet. Has played mostly ruck, but looks like he could be a KPD. He's a quality mark, reads the play well and intercepts well.

Not sure

Lemmey - KPF. Was supposed to be a No 1 pick contender. Disappointing so far. Looks a bit slow to me

Scully - KPF. I haven't seen enough.

2nd round

Cadman - KPF/KPD. Some have him in the top 10, so maybe this is unlikely. I like him, but not that much. Plays forward, played down back last year apparently. He works hard and is competitive.

Hayes - KPD. Listed at 197cm, yet he looks taller to me. Athletic, decent one on one, composed and intercepts. Pretty skinny. Could go higher.

3rd round

Broadbent - Ruck. Mobile and very good at ground level. Pretty poor mark above his head which makes him a bit limited.

Van Es - KPD. 196cm and already solidly built. Good one on one, intercepts and is physical. Does the basics well. Question mark on his kicking and not exactly sure how athletic he is

Late/Rookie

Tom McCallum - KPD/3rd tall. Only 192cm so more of a 3rd tall I guess. Great interceptor and very athletic. Kicking needs work though.

Ryan Eyers - KPD/2nd Ruck. Clean above his head and at ground level for a big guy. Decent interceptor. Has good agility. Question mark on his speed.

Some projects

Hudson O'Keeffe - Ruckman 202cm. Comes from a basketball background and I think only switched to footy not long ago. Good mobility. Ruckwork looks good. Has poor endurance which means he can struggle around the ground.

Josh Tweedale - Ruckman/utility 201cm. Won a national high jump as a junior, so he has a great leap on him and mobile. Been injured a bit this year, was originally on Vic Country's list. Has played down back and forward. Looked ok down back and in the ruck the little I've seen of him. Looks a good mark. Doesn't really have a set position though.

Last edited:

Isn't it you can only use as many picks as you have available list spots?

Pretty sure it is this but in JUHs year they changed it because of covid and reduction in list sizes that you could use as many picks as you like not sure if it’s been changed back to only being able to take to the draft the number of picks equivalent to the number of list spots available

Pretty sure it is this but in JUHs year they changed it because of covid and reduction in list sizes that you could use as many picks as you like not sure if it’s been changed back to only being able to take to the draft the number of picks equivalent to the number of list spots available

It was just for that year. We got very lucky.

James van Es to add to both our key defensive stocks and our shithouse haircuts

939041.jpg

Yes I think he can. I've read he played as a defender in some APS matches and looked decent. Hasn't been given much of a go though. He certainly looks competitive enough and has a bit of aggression which is always good for a defender.

Yes it will be interesting to see where Davey ends up in the draft as well, he's had two pretty good games so far. I think he will go first round if he keeps performing the way he has which is good for us. We could also trade up our 2nd and 3rd round pick for Brisbanes 1st. That would give them more points for Ashcroft, but I'd expect they would want more so we would have to be a bit crafty.

I would like to see us keep our first round pick if possible, there's plenty of talls to like around that point in the draft. It would be more ideal if we could use our future 1st in a trade.

There's quite few talls to like right across the board though, so it should be interesting. This is what I've got so far.

1st round

Unlikely

Busslinger - KPD. Intercept defender that can lock down.

Keeler - KPF/2nd ruck. Very athletic, good mark, exciting and very marketable

Probable

Jefferson - KPF. See above. Would like to see him in the back line a bit more

Barnett - Ruck/KPD/KPF. Not exactly sure what he is yet. Has played mostly ruck, but looks like he could be a KPD. He's a quality mark, reads the play well and intercepts well.

Not sure

Lemmey - KPF. Was supposed to be a No 1 pick contender. Disappointing so far. Looks a bit slow to me

Scully - KPF. I haven't seen enough.

2nd round

Cadman - KPF/KPD. Some have him in the top 10, so maybe this is unlikely. I like him, but not that much. Plays forward, played down back last year apparently. He works hard and is competitive.

Hayes - KPD. Listed at 197cm, yet he looks taller to me. Athletic, decent one on one, composed and intercepts. Pretty skinny. Could go higher.

3rd round

Broadbent - Ruck. Mobile and very good at ground level. Pretty poor mark above his head which makes him a bit limited.

Van Es - KPD. 196cm and already solidly built. Good one on one, intercepts and is physical. Does the basics well. Question mark on his kicking and not exactly sure how athletic he is

Late/Rookie

Tom McCallum - KPD/3rd tall. Only 192cm so more of a 3rd tall I guess. Great interceptor and very athletic. Kicking needs work though.

Ryan Eyers - KPD/2nd Ruck. Clean above his head and at ground level for a big guy. Decent interceptor. Has good agility. Question mark on his speed.

Some projects

Hudson O'Keeffe - Ruckman 202cm. Comes from a basketball background and I think only switched to footy not long ago. Good mobility. Ruckwork looks good. Has poor endurance which means he can struggle around the ground.

Josh Tweedale - Ruckman/utility 201cm. Won a national high jump as a junior, so he has a great leap on him and mobile. Been injured a bit this year, was originally on Vic Country's list. Has played down back and forward. Looked ok down back and in the ruck the little I've seen of him. Looks a good mark. Doesn't really have a set position though.
Thanks for the post, very informative

I am on the Barnett bandwagon. Love the competitiveness he is developing in the ruck. The versatility and football brains to play multiple positions; really excites me about his potential as a CHB.

Later in the draft Van Es is a lockdown KPD we really need. It’s not often I want us to double dip BUT this draft is a tall draft and few smalls have stood out (aside obvious top 5 ones).

So if we only win 2 more games for the rest of the year depending on other results that leaves our first pick somewhere between picks 7-9.

Obviously Busslinger would be awesome but don’t think he slides that far. Keeler, Cadman, Scully, Sheezal, Jefferson, Phillipou, Hollands and Barnett are some names that appear around the mark. Would love a genuine KPD like Hayes or Van Es with a later pick.

Who do you think we should target?

So if we only win 2 more games for the rest of the year depending on other results that leaves our first pick somewhere between picks 7-9.

Obviously Busslinger would be awesome but don’t think he slides that far. Keeler, Cadman, Scully, Sheezal, Jefferson, Phillipou, Hollands and Barnett are some names that appear around the mark. Would love a genuine KPD like Hayes or Van Es with a later pick.

Konstanty as a small pressure forward if he’s around the mark.

If we have been witness to for the last last couple of weeks to our defence, we need help now and in the long term with developing KPD's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am on the Barnett bandwagon. Love the competitiveness he is developing in the ruck. The versatility and football brains to play multiple positions; really excites me about his potential as a CHB.

Later in the draft Van Es is a lockdown KPD we really need. It’s not often I want us to double dip BUT this draft is a tall draft and few smalls have stood out (aside obvious top 5 ones).
We doubled dipped on KPDs when we took Collins & Adams in the same draft. One made it (sadly not with us), one didn't.
I really don't see a problem with taking 2 KPDs if they project as good players.

Don’t we always double dip? Agree I normally would like it. But take last year - we wanted a third tall intercept defender and took TOB as a supposedly best 22 improvement, Charlie Parker as a high potential and Cody Raak as a roughy.

Not really double dipping - we actually need a minimum of two tall defenders. We are one short in our top 22 with only Keath - if fit - a matching playing. All others we take a loss every time we play and opposition just have to expose it.

Plus, Keath will just maybe make it to the time a draft picked this year starts to play. Most likely won’t - these tall defenders normally (excluding freaks like Weitering) take 4-5 years of development before they can hold their own against the oppositions stars. Most top teams have a at least two senior KPFs and do need 2 senior KPDs.

If I were Schache I would still want to play there. He had a couple of bad games and didn’t persist. Persistence is the only way to make it as a defender and it takes ages. Better to start and show you are an option for next four years until kids can come through - Darcy or Draft this year.

BTW - reckon Raak will end up a very good player in the Dale Morris mode. Has real courage about him just needs to add 15 kegs to his frame. Dale was drafted much later but when he came in he was a huge roughy and look how that turned out.

i don’t know anything about him so not saying we shouldn’t, just they’d have to be a hell of a talent to take a small forward with a top 8 pick imo

Yeah, it all depends on where our picks fall. I honestly have no idea what we'll do with our first, and if we can get an established KPD with it I'd trade it out. Get Hayes and Van Es with second and third rounders.

I'm interested in quite a few names this year, nothing I'm set on. Unless if Sheezel was somehow available we would be silly not to take him. High impact player and match winner. We could certainly use a player like him around goals and delivering to our forwards. Will be shocked if he's not a top 5 pick as he's shown he can play in the midfield.

On those other names you mentioned

Keeler - is probably the most talented player in the draft and might be too hard to pass up if available. Floats in and out of games which makes me a little hesitant and he doesn't really fill a need unless the club sees Darcy as a defender (which I don't). He would add some athleticism, x-factor and aerial marking to the forward line if we did get him. His ruck work is pretty good also. I think someone like GWS should be taking him anyway as he will get bums on seats and he fits a need for them. Certainly talented enough to go top 5.

Cadman - I may have underrated, I was hoping he might be available at our 2nd pick. I'm still keen on him though and he's certainly worth considering at our first pick. I do think he's the most likely of the tall forwards that could make it as a tall defender. That's mostly because he's very competitive and aggressive, works hard and is strong in a contest. His mobility is decent enough also and I have read he played as a defender some of last year also. The reason why I'm not as high on him is because of his overall kicking and perhaps his ground ball game. He is a terrific mark though, even when under significant heat, he grabs them in one go.

Jefferson - Models his game on Naughton and Curnow and there's some similarities. Doesn't have as good as a ground ball game as either of them though, is more of a lead mark type. Possibly too similar to Jamarra as a forward and I'm not entirely sure if he could play in defence also. Will take a bit more time as he is skinny also. Probably lean against taking him at this stage.

Phillipou - Tall, plays inside and outside, athletic and kicks goals. His hands above his head in particular are special. He's what most teams would want in a modern day midfielder IMO. Late birthaday too (if he was born 5 days later he wouldn't qualify for this year's draft). I expect him to be gone by our pick. If not, he's another that might be hard to pass on.

Barnett - He's the most interesting player of the draft for me mainly because I'm not sure what he is yet. Has mostly played ruck and up forward from what I can tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a defender. Reads the play and intercepts quite well when in the ruck which is why I think he could be a defender. He has pretty good mobility also and is a terrific mark. Certainly one to consider, would like to see more vision of him.

Hollands - I'm really not a fan. I wouldn't even consider at our first pick. Too similar to what we have and I don't rate his talent levels high enough.

Scully - He's not getting picked for SA in the champs which speaks volumes. The way things are going he might be available later on in the draft. Double grabs a lot of his marks which seems to be the major knock on his game. Gets away with it at U18 level because he's way taller then everyone else.

Some others worth considering

Cameron McKenzie - Another that I think might go higher then some have on their boards. Has been one of the most impressive players at the champs this year. Plays as an inside outside midfielder, but I think could play on all three areas of the ground. He's a very good kick and has good speed and agility. He's quite good at reading the play and taking intercept marks also. He's 187cm so is a good size. I'm a big fan and I think he could add a lot to side mainly with his field kicking.

Jacob Konstanty - As mentioned above, he's a small forward. Has terrific leg speed and evasiveness. Very good around goals and at ground level. Kicked three against the Allies, could have been 6 if he kicked a bit straighter. Comes from a soccer background so there's plenty of upside still to come. Could he be the missing ingredient for our forward line? Possibly.

Brayden George - Missed the last 6 weeks because of an injury. I've never seen him, but like the sound of him. Very explosive and deadly around goal. Loads of X-factor. Great at ground level and good overhead. Hopefully will be right to play towards the backend of the champs which will give us a better idea.

Busslinger out for the rest of the year opting for shoulder surgery. I’m sure he’s done enough where it won’t impact his draft range however hopefully for us he does drop down slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Busslinger out for the rest of the year opting for shoulder surgery. I’m sure he’s done enough where it won’t impact his draft range however hopefully for us he does drop down slightly.

Who below us do you think might look at Busslinger? North need another KPD but don’t think they’d take him at #1. Despite being a WA boy it’s not an area of need for the Eagles. Essendon are pretty much locked on for an inside mid. Adelaide don’t need a KPD. Hawks already have Blank and DGB as young KPDs so might look elsewhere although I could see the merit in them taking Busslinger.

GWS (Davis retiring, Haynes and O’Keefe getting on), Port and Gold Coast all make a bit more sense to me.

Who below us do you think might look at Busslinger? North need another KPD but don’t think they’d take him at #1. Despite being a WA boy it’s not an area of need for the Eagles. Essendon are pretty much locked on for an inside mid. Adelaide don’t need a KPD. Hawks already have Blank and DGB as young KPDs so might look elsewhere although I could see the merit in them taking Busslinger.

GWS (Davis retiring, Haynes and O’Keefe getting on), Port and Gold Coast all make a bit more sense to me.

GWS will take a tall forward, ruck or ruck forward. This draft will have one there for them and they need a good one now.

GCS & Port the most likely to take him.

IF we start throwing the magnets around, we could finish below both of those teams.

GWS will take a tall forward, ruck or ruck forward. This draft will have one there for them and they need a good one now.

GCS & Port the most likely to take him.

IF we start throwing the magnets around, we could finish below both of those teams.

Agreed - think he’s ours (if we want him), if we finish below Suns/Port in particular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back