Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The ones I’m keen on are Hayes, Hustwaite, George, and Humphrey. Two of them plus a KPD trade and I’m pretty happy.

And Ginbey.

Really like him after watching some replays. Ideal medium defender, who has speed, power and is really competitive. Reminds me of a faster M Boyd (HBF version).

IF the early KPDs are gone, Ginbey would be my pick and then get Van Es or Weddle later in the draft.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our defence is our weakest part of the team. IF we are bringing back Liam Jones to play FB. Sam Darcy looks like a good building block at CHB, but we only have Richards and Dale as solid options, leaving 2 spots to fill.

1. Busslinger / Hayes / Hustwaite as the intercept / developing KPD. Can intercept, kick well for big blokes and are developing 1v1 skills.

2. Ginbey or Casey Voss (older defender playing well in SANFL) as medium defenders.

Investing high picks into our defensive half is not something we have done regularly BUT I think we must as there are few other positions we can get top line quality to improve our list. Unless we can get one of the really top impact forwards (Sheezel, Philipou or George), there isn’t much point in spending early picks on this position.

Draftees are usually two years away from having a consistent impact. Unless we pull off a recruiting masterstroke, then I expect we will be in the ‘magic beans’ draft shop again.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1660430809163.png

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also looks like Ryan Gardner’s little brother

1C2EA631-675A-4B3F-9172-794FF55E8639.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the point of that trade was to improve our draft hand this year, we actually gave up more points in last year’s draft than we received.
So we get Darcy anyway but have better picks this year? Happy with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move, would have been wasted points last year. Trade would have been even better if we were higher up the ladder.
Only if we are wanting to get a rise out of North (Leon, where aaaare you?) or want to skite about winning trade week (hi there Dodo!)

If we finish 9th our third would have been pick 46 (leaving aside any AFL meddling with PPs etc).
Getting North's third as wooden spooners means we get pick 37 instead. It's immaterial what happens to our original third round pick if the third round pick we get in exchange is from a club finishing bottom of the ladder. Even if we'd finished 17th we'd have improved.

We need some good middle range picks this year. We've cleaned ourselves out of those sort of picks for the last two years in order to secure JUH and Darcy. They were well worth it of course, but there's been a cost to us as there are always good players to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IF we must take a mid & not taking a Defender, George isn’t a bad option. Probably my third favourite behind Sheezel & Philipou.

Really hoping we get Busslinger though.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
if we can get Lobb and Logue or Barrass over the line I’m happy to take pick 70 as our first draft pick. Dunkley leaving will be a massive pain in the middle though. Any chance GWS have another kid that might fall out in the cheap? We were linked with Callahan via Bevo last year. GWS can have our Dunkley pick for him if we can winkle him out of their albeit he isn’t the “bull” replacement we’d ideally need. I think Bont has been injured all year though so maybe next year our midfield will come good again. If so we’ll be ready to roll and looking forward to the new game plan ……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back