List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the chat with Milesi on the Dog's site.

I find the debate of needs v best available interesting.

It becomes more interesting when you consider that individual decision at a pick level (as opposed to an overall strategy).

Surely to a degree you have to layer in needs.

Sure you can trade for needs, but you're leaving the bottom age profile up to 'whoever comes through'

I'm sure part of it is just media spin surely?

Then again, maybe it isn't & it's exactly how we've ended up with a giant hole at one end of the ground.

Ginbey strikes me as high floor, low ceiling player. Tough inside mid but what you see is what you get.
Duggan 2.0
Good medium defender who plays a handful of decent midfield games in his draft year, and is drafted early off the back of "midfield potential". Duggan has never done that, and always been a reasonable but not elite defender. Not sure he's someone I'd want to spend a top end pick on.

HAPPY DRAFT DAY!

My order of preference for our first rounder goes as follows;

Phillipou (extremely unlikely unless we trade up)
Busslinger (becoming increasing likely he’ll be available)
Allan (I’m a sucker for “potential”)
Trade back (could get lots of value depending on offers)

Still a massive fan of Hayes, would love to nab him at some stage.

And very interested in George despite the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I dunno why you’re so worried about him, who in their right mind would go back to Tassie 😂

He’ll spend two years in Melbourne and never go back, 1hr flight if he wants to see friends and family Etc I’d be more concerned about the go home factor with every other state, especially considering they don’t even have a team… it’s just not worth even a consideration at this point
What's wrong with Tassie? Obviously you haven't been here to enjoy gods country. Try a holiday and get out and see what we have to offer.

Finally! Two more days of interest, before 4 long months of boredom.

Our pick will probably come by around 8pm. They tend to drag out the top 10 a bit for photo opps and such.

Hoping we land Busslinger, or for a Phillipou slide. Late mail on, I forgot which page, it was. Says we are fans of Phillipou and may be one of two or three teams that could actively trade up if he slips a little.

As for pick 21, there will be so many options come there. I doubt anyone here will be too disappointed with whoever it is. Now to sleep all day after a world cup all nighter. Will feel like the draft is only a few minutes away for me :D

Last edited:
What's wrong with Tassie? Obviously you haven't been here to enjoy gods country. Try a holiday and get out and see what we have to offer.
Went to Tasmania once for a music festival. The place is beautiful as. Unfortunately my plans for a few extra days there ended when at the airport, where all hire cars were sold out. Aside from being cold, I do not get the knock on Tasmania. Such a chilled place, and if you like the wilderness and adventures, it is definitely the place to go.

Latest intel: The Dogs are one of several teams that have shown significant interest in — and done ample work on — top SA prospect Mattaes Phillipou, to the point where they’ve pondered trading into the first round. If they hold their spot at Pick 11, the Dogs are weighing up between a key defender and a midfielder with their first pick — and they’re more likely to get a higher-quality defender with their first selection rather than their second-rounder. Should that come to fruition, expect them to pounce on WA backman Jedd Busslinger. But if they go for a midfield/hybrid type, Oliver Hollands would be a strong chance to go should the Blues not pounce on him with the previous pick, while the Dogs have also put a lot of work into WA bolter Ed Allan. Lewis Hayes or Josh Weddle would be their other best key defensive options. There’s even a few whispers top Tasmanian prospect Lachie Cowan — a rebounding defender in the Bailey Dale mould — is in the Dogs’ sights, but that could be more likely with their second-rounder. Rival clubs also wouldn’t be shocked if the Bulldogs again dipped into their VFL program — like they did in 2018 and 2021 to select Will Hayes and Robbie McComb respectively — and recruited Footscray captain Lachie Sullivan.

Best-case scenario: Phillipou, somehow, slides to Pick 11 in a major steal for the Dogs. Cowan is still available at the Bulldogs’ second selection

Worst-case scenario: Phillipou, Allan, Hollands and Busslinger are all off the board by the time the Dogs pick.

Latest intel: The Dogs are one of several teams that have shown significant interest in — and done ample work on — top SA prospect Mattaes Phillipou, to the point where they’ve pondered trading into the first round. If they hold their spot at Pick 11, the Dogs are weighing up between a key defender and a midfielder with their first pick — and they’re more likely to get a higher-quality defender with their first selection rather than their second-rounder. Should that come to fruition, expect them to pounce on WA backman Jedd Busslinger. But if they go for a midfield/hybrid type, Oliver Hollands would be a strong chance to go should the Blues not pounce on him with the previous pick, while the Dogs have also put a lot of work into WA bolter Ed Allan. Lewis Hayes or Josh Weddle would be their other best key defensive options. There’s even a few whispers top Tasmanian prospect Lachie Cowan — a rebounding defender in the Bailey Dale mould — is in the Dogs’ sights, but that could be more likely with their second-rounder. Rival clubs also wouldn’t be shocked if the Bulldogs again dipped into their VFL program — like they did in 2018 and 2021 to select Will Hayes and Robbie McComb respectively — and recruited Footscray captain Lachie Sullivan.

Best-case scenario: Phillipou, somehow, slides to Pick 11 in a major steal for the Dogs. Cowan is still available at the Bulldogs’ second selection

Worst-case scenario: Phillipou, Allan, Hollands and Busslinger are all off the board by the time the Dogs pick.
Not sure how their worst case scenario is bad. It would mean that 2 of the top 10 prospects would be available to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice place to spend a long weekend, let’s be honest 20yo kids with disposal income aren’t going to be jumping over bridges to get back

Nice place to spend a long weekend, let’s be honest 20yo kids with disposal income aren’t going to be jumping over bridges to get back
Maybe not, but could see them having a Geelong-esque sort of pull eventually. Nice change of pace for young families

Interesting we’re that keen on Phillipou, I think as we’ve seen though clubs are valuing those top 8 or so picks extremely highly and I doubt we could/would want to beat Melbs offer for example.

Worst case scenario is actually probably best case scenario, I really hope we get McKenzie

Watched the chat with Milesi on the Dog's site.

I find the debate of needs v best available interesting.

It becomes more interesting when you consider that individual decision at a pick level (as opposed to an overall strategy).

Surely to a degree you have to layer in needs.

Sure you can trade for needs, but you're leaving the bottom age profile up to 'whoever comes through'

I'm sure part of it is just media spin surely?

Then again, maybe it isn't & it's exactly how we've ended up with a giant hole at one end of the ground.
good point,
its always going to be a bit of both,
even if you say you were taking best available, if you rate Buss at 92% and Allen at 93%, or whatever your ratings are, and the list manager says the list needs key talls, youre taking Buss all day

good point,
its always going to be a bit of both,
even if you say you were taking best available, if you rate Buss at 92% and Allen at 93%, or whatever your ratings are, and the list manager says the list needs key talls, youre taking Buss all day
The implication of a policy of “always best available” with first and second round picks is that you trade for any resultant needs / gaps.

With all phantoms linking us to Busslinger, which probably means it won't happen, I just thought I'd post a few obsevations from other draft watchers to help everyone get excited.
Busslinger was rated much higher across the board before his season ended with injury and I think it was a little bit, out of sight out of mind, which is why he has slipped down boards.

His knocks seem to be a possible weakness one on one but it's worth noting that he is 82kg and I think would have been even lighter at the start of the year. That's almost 10kg less than Cadman. He was also hampered with his shoulder which would have an impact on ability to push and shove.

We also tend not have our defenders play one on one so even if it is a weakness it would be less detrimental in our system.

The other knock is speed which is possible more concerning but he is by no means slow and reads the ball so well that he doesn't need to be fast. If we can sure up our midfield defensively we should be able to reduce fast entries into our defence.

Anyway enough of my thoughts here is what the experts have said:

PM Bangers had Busslinger rated 3rd best in the middle of the season before he was injured. These are some of his observations:

I think Busslinger would be capable of playing round 1 like Gibcus, he doesn't have the raw athleticism of Gibcus but is a smart player which allows him to intercept well, and he's probably more damaging with his disposal and offers more in transition. I'd say he's pretty similar to DGB however, but again I like his disposal a bit more heading forward, but DGB is probably better in one-on-ones.

Is Busslinger good because he’s the best kpd prospect in this draft or would he be a good kpd prospect in any draft?
He would be good in any draft, maybe not as high as I've got him now but I imagine he'd be easily top 10 over the past 2-3 years as well

Can Busslinger play a contested lockdown role?

Do you rate Blake Drury as a contested pressure forward?
Yes to both, Busslinger is better with some freedom obviously but has shown he's more than capable one-on-one.

Smythe had Busslinger ranked 4 mid year and said: "Busslinger - IMO better than DGB"

Bastyys had Busslinger 2 mid year and said: "Busslinger is probably my favourite tall defender I've ever watched in the prelude to a draft. DGB took that mantle a few years back but now I am a huge fan of the Buss"

Davo-27 had Busslinger 6 mid year "Jedd Busslinger - 195cm KPD, plays more the intercepting 3rd tall defender than a lock down defender although im sure he can play that role at a decent level as well, played 2 champs games and made the AA team, even though he had a shoulder that needed surgery he was still one of WA 's best in both games and confirmed what we all thought last year and that was that he was a 1st round talent"

ModernArtillery didnt do a mid year ranking but had him at 8 in his end of year phantom "I don't usually get overly excited about key position defenders but I think Busslinger can have a really impactful career at AFL level. I like that he can negate and intercept, but it's his ability to use the footy that I like most. He's really comfortable as a distributor in the back half and that will allow him to impact the game offensively from a key position defensive post."

The last poster I'll reference is WCE_Phil who only seems to post on the WCE board but, unless it's an elaborate ruse that has all the other posters on the board fooled, does scouting work for a Melbourne based club. He has said:

"If we have to use pick 2 I'd draft Busslinger." "As far as im concerned after Ashcroft the safest pick for an A grade player is Busslinger (I think he may be able to play forward too)"

On Busslinger, I have some queries about him as a KPD, very good footballer, but I am not sure he will be able to hold down the gorilla type KPF in the AFL, in many ways he plays like a tall attacking HBF.

He may prove me wrong BUT that’s the concern that I have with him.

And we have Bazzo who can already play that role, plus Bazzo can play either end of the ground, if needed.

Just on Busslinger I dont have that as a concern. I actually think the future requires 1 genuine big lockdown key defender and then a couple of guys like Bazzo and Busslinger who can float, read the play as well as forwards (or in the Bus's case better than almost all forwards) and then intercept or bring the ball to ground. You then need 1 lockdown small on the ground and two run, kick and carry HBF's. Busslinger at 197 with the footskills and playreading of an elite HB is a huge tick from me. He as you know was my safety pick at 2. I also wouldn't write off his ability to play man on man yet either. From what is reported to me his shoulder affected pretty much his whole year. So to put in the performances he did before having to go off for surgery was a huge tick for me.

It's why Buss is still my pick for 8 unless Mackenzie is available.

With all phantoms linking us to Busslinger, which probably means it won't happen, I just thought I'd post a few obsevations from other draft watchers to help everyone get excited.
Busslinger was rated much higher across the board before his season ended with injury and I think it was a little bit, out of sight out of mind, which is why he has slipped down boards.

His knocks seem to be a possible weakness one on one but it's worth noting that he is 82kg and I think would have been even lighter at the start of the year. That's almost 10kg less than Cadman. He was also hampered with his shoulder which would have an impact on ability to push and shove.

We also tend not have our defenders play one on one so even if it is a weakness it would be less detrimental in our system.

The other knock is speed which is possible more concerning but he is by no means slow and reads the ball so well that he doesn't need to be fast. If we can sure up our midfield defensively we should be able to reduce fast entries into our defence.

PM Bangers had Busslinger rated 3rd best in the middle of the season before he was injured. These are some of his observations:

I think Busslinger would be capable of playing round 1 like Gibcus, he doesn't have the raw athleticism of Gibcus but is a smart player which allows him to intercept well, and he's probably more damaging with his disposal and offers more in transition. I'd say he's pretty similar to DGB however, but again I like his disposal a bit more heading forward, but DGB is probably better in one-on-ones.

He would be good in any draft, maybe not as high as I've got him now but I imagine he'd be easily top 10 over the past 2-3 years as well

Yes to both, Busslinger is better with some freedom obviously but has shown he's more than capable one-on-one.

Smythe had Busslinger ranked 4 mid year and said: "Busslinger - IMO better than DGB"

Bastyys had Busslinger 2 mid year and said: "Busslinger is probably my favourite tall defender I've ever watched in the prelude to a draft. DGB took that mantle a few years back but now I am a huge fan of the Buss"

Davo-27 had Busslinger 6 mid year "Jedd Busslinger - 195cm KPD, plays more the intercepting 3rd tall defender than a lock down defender although im sure he can play that role at a decent level as well, played 2 champs games and made the AA team, even though he had a shoulder that needed surgery he was still one of WA 's best in both games and confirmed what we all thought last year and that was that he was a 1st round talent"

ModernArtillery didnt do a mid year ranking but had him at 8 in his end of year phantom "I don't usually get overly excited about key position defenders but I think Busslinger can have a really impactful career at AFL level. I like that he can negate and intercept, but it's his ability to use the footy that I like most. He's really comfortable as a distributor in the back half and that will allow him to impact the game offensively from a key position defensive post."

The last poster I'll reference is WCE_Phil who only seems to post on the WCE board but, unless it's an elaborate ruse that has all the other posters on the board fooled, does scouting work for a Melbourne based club. He has said:

"If we have to use pick 2 I'd draft Busslinger." "As far as im concerned after Ashcroft the safest pick for an A grade player is Busslinger (I think he may be able to play forward too)"

Just on Busslinger I dont have that as a concern. I actually think the future requires 1 genuine big lockdown key defender and then a couple of guys like Bazzo and Busslinger who can float, read the play as well as forwards (or in the Bus's case better than almost all forwards) and then intercept or bring the ball to ground. You then need 1 lockdown small on the ground and two run, kick and carry HBF's. Busslinger at 197 with the footskills and playreading of an elite HB is a huge tick from me. He as you know was my safety pick at 2. I also wouldn't write off his ability to play man on man yet either. From what is reported to me his shoulder affected pretty much his whole year. So to put in the performances he did before having to go off for surgery was a huge tick for me.

Yeah it’s funny to see the backflip on him, mid year we would have all killed for him.

He’s still my biggest want with 11 and I think we’ll get him too - I’ll be bloody stoked if we do. Yes we need a lock down defender but we’re also the worst team for intercept marks in defence in the comp so not sure why we’d turn our nose up at the best one in the draft by a mile

Can’t go past elite talls at the top end

I've been a bit down on Busslinger (relative to alternatives), mostly because he gives me some McAsey vibes, but some of the views there are reassuring. I share the view that he presents as a tall intercepting half back at AFL level more than a KPD (like Josh Worrell). His disposal seems to be genuinely good, enough to be an attacking weapon, although occasionally prone to error. That's a distinct advantage he has over the other KPD(ish) options in this draft.

If some of his shortcomings (in my eyes at least) were down to the shoulder injury this year, then I've probably been too negative with my assessment. Although the lack of speed will always worry me. If we do pick him up, his attacking disposal could eventually see us moving away from stacking our best kicking smalls at half back e.g. Daniel & Dale.

I've been a bit down on Busslinger (relative to alternatives), mostly because he gives me some McAsey vibes, but some of the views there are reassuring. I share the view that he presents as a tall intercepting half back at AFL level more than a KPD (like Josh Worrell). His disposal seems to be genuinely good, enough to be an attacking weapon, although occasionally prone to error. That's a distinct advantage he has over the other KPD(ish) options in this draft.

If some of his shortcomings (in my eyes at least) were down to the shoulder injury this year, then I've probably been too negative with my assessment. Although the lack of speed will always worry me. If we do pick him up, his attacking disposal could eventually see us moving away from stacking our best kicking smalls at half back e.g. Daniel & Dale.
I don't really think they're comparable.
I know watching footage isn't always accurate but looking back at McAsey's vision he seems to take long slow strides and is not very nimble.
Busslinger has quicker feet and is more agile. His speed should improve as he builds power in his legs.
Busslinger is also a sharper flatter kick which makes him a more damaging player on the rebound.

I'd be very happy with Busslinger.

In fact the only scenario that would worry me is if we took Allan, he feels like he has a lot of bust potential.

The other thing worth noting in the phantom drafts is that in all of them Hayes is available (or looks likely to be in the shorter ones) at our second pick if we wanted to do the defender double.
They also have Hotton available who I quite like as a potential wing/high half foward.
I can also understand the appeal with Clark who could come in and probably play as a pressure forward from round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back