Position 2022 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright guys, this is my final question for the pre-season and then I'm locked and loaded.

I have the ability to get Crisp in, with some changes elsewhere. Essentially right now, I've got the SDK/McCartin/NOD loophole going and 262K remaining. This is what I can do to change my side and get him in, with 0K remaining:

Jelly > M. Crouch
Grundy > R. Marshall
Hough > Mead/Baldwin
NOD > Crisp

Thoughts?

WaynesWorld19 , Corby_4 - particularly interested in your insights, given three of the 4 premos mentioned play for your teams, and Wayne has been just as keen as me on Jelly all pre-season.

Alright guys, this is my final question for the pre-season and then I'm locked and loaded.

I have the ability to get Crisp in, with some changes elsewhere. Essentially right now, I've got the SDK/McCartin/NOD loophole going and 262K remaining. This is what I can do to change my side and get him in, with 0K remaining:

Jelly > M. Crouch
Grundy > R. Marshall
Hough > Mead/Baldwin
NOD > Crisp

Thoughts?

WaynesWorld19 , Corby_4 - particularly interested in your insights, given three of the 4 premos mentioned play for your teams, and Wayne has been just as keen as me on Jelly all pre-season.
It feels like a lot of reshuffling and even downgrading just to get him in imo.
He looks to have the role though and I think he will score really well this year.

Given you've already got Whitfield I also feel it's a one or the other kinda scenario this year.

Jelly > M. Crouch
Grundy > R. Marshall
Hough > Mead/Baldwin
NOD > Crisp

Thoughts?

I've cooled heavily on Crouch.

You forget the speed of good AFL games.

Crouch wouldn't have touched the ball last night if he was playing in that Carlton v Richmond game or in the Doggies v Melbourne game.

I'm very off sore bodies for the start of the season.

Once it gets wet and cold and the games slog up a bit he should bounce back but think he will start slow.

It feels like a lot of reshuffling and even downgrading just to get him in imo.
He looks to have the role though and I think he will score really well this year.

The way I see it is:

Grundy 115
Jelly 110
Bench (SDK/McCartin) 50

VS

Marshall 95
Mrouch 100
Crisp 100

275 vs 295 - but no cash left over (rule of thumb is usually 70K for every 10 points, but may be 80K given cap increase now - meaning it would need to be a 30+ point favourable difference to be worth it).

I'm still leaning towards the whole 'wait and see' approach and sticking with what I've got - but it is a possibility for me to do it if I wanted. Also Stewart and then leaving Hough on the bench, is another option.

The way I see it is:

Grundy 115
Jelly 110
Bench (SDK/McCartin) 50

VS

Marshall 95
Mrouch 100
Crisp 100

275 vs 295 - but no cash left over (rule of thumb is usually 70K for every 10 points, but may be 80K given cap increase now - meaning it would need to be a 30+ point favourable difference to be worth it).

I'm still leaning towards the whole 'wait and see' approach and sticking with what I've got - but it is a possibility for me to do it if I wanted. Also Stewart and then leaving Hough on the bench, is another option.
Yeah true, I would probably wait and see also considering Maynard is yet to come back and will more than likely get mid time this year, plus JDG floating through there.
See my edit further up also regarding Whitfield.

Yeah true, I would probably wait and see also considering Maynard is yet to come back and will more than likely get mid time this year, plus JDG floating through there.
See my edit further up also regarding Whitfield.

Yep agreed with all that - plus the looming spectre of COVID at all times as well, haha

Agree, if you need to use the loop for a vc you just choose your best match up.
This is the only problem with this plan, if you want to VC loop, you are locked in for one of the defenders.

ATM, I want to take Crae's 120, so will need NOD on ground and E for McCartin or SDK. I have to choose, and would prefer McCartin.

However, as SDK plays first, I need to E him, so if he gets 30, then Crae + SDK = 270.

If I think McCartin score 60, I need another mid to go 105 to BE, noting I don't have Steele, Titch or Touk.

All of this in 20mins, when I'm probably in the car driving!

This is the only problem with this plan, if you want to VC loop, you are locked in for one of the defenders.

ATM, I want to take Crae's 120, so will need NOD on ground and E for McCartin or SDK. I have to choose, and would prefer McCartin.

However, as SDK plays first, I need to E him, so if he gets 30, then Crae + SDK = 270.

If I think McCartin score 60, I need another mid to go 105 to BE, noting I don't have Steele, Titch or Touk.

All of this in 20mins, when I'm probably in the car driving!
If you prefer McCartin put the E on him.

but SDK plays first so if i want to loop him, i'll need to E on him. Otherwise, it's a straight VC loop and not a rookie loop as well.
SDK at D8, McCartin (E) at D7 and NOD (C) @ D6 ?
is that how you are structured up?
feel i'm missing something in the message.

I dont think you will be able to VC loop and rookie loop in the same position.
either one or the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definite concerns about Sic. Looking at the lineups can see him playing 3rd tall again like he did in pre-season. CJ also to come back..

Similar concerns for Chapman who's another option with the 2 talls then Ryan, Young, Clark in that backline

The way I see it is:

Grundy 115
Jelly 110
Bench (SDK/McCartin) 50

VS

Marshall 95
Mrouch 100
Crisp 100

I'd be interested to know what Selby's take on Crisp is (if anyone knows) as I'm in a similar boat to you and also torn.

I think Crisp is priced at his score (103) with little upside, however there doesn't look to be many big scorers in the backline so he could still be quite an upgrade on the next group (Short, Dawson, etc) considering everyone will have Whit. I see more room for upside / value in the mids so currently am playing up for Whit and Crisp and then getting a bit cute with mids to fund it.

I think Jelly is a great pick so would look for alternatives if possible but if you already have a Macrae/Touk/Steele then I reckon it's a viable move down to Crouch.

SDK at D8, McCartin (E) at D7 and NOD (C) @ D6 ?
is that how you are structured up?
feel i'm missing something in the message.

I dont think you will be able to VC loop and rookie loop in the same position.
either one or the other.

That's the challenge.

I have NOD at D6 - with P McC and SDK on the bench.

Steele is VC. However - if Steele goes huge tonight, NOD needs to stay on field and gets the C badge for the weekend.

However, that means I only get one shot at the Def Interchange position - I don't get to have either or of P McC or SDK. You can't have both with only one red dot....

I'd be interested to know what Selby's take on Crisp is (if anyone knows) as I'm in a similar boat to you and also torn.

I think Crisp is priced at his score (103) with little upside, however there doesn't look to be many big scorers in the backline so he could still be quite an upgrade on the next group (Short, Dawson, etc) considering everyone will have Whit. I see more room for upside / value in the mids so currently am playing up for Whit and Crisp and then getting a bit cute with mids to fund it.

I think Jelly is a great pick so would look for alternatives if possible but if you already have a Macrae/Touk/Steele then I reckon it's a viable move down to Crouch.
Bumped him up his rankings in pre season due to midfield role

People love talking about Crisp's consistency, but it's true. He performs every week, whether that be as an inside midfielder or a running defender, you can rely on him scoring around the 100 mark. He saw less CBAs towards the end of the season when Robert Harvey took over and De Goey got the run in there, but this didn't impact his scoring. He averaged 103 in the first half on 50% CBAs and then 100 in the second on 25% CBAs (107 in last five on 18%). He doesn't need CBAs to score well. Despite this, it would be nice to know what role he's playing and it's all up in the air with the new coach. My guess is that he'll remain as a running defender and should certainly be a top six defender in Fantasy in that role with another season around the 100 mark. That might not seem attractive enough to start with him in Classic. 27 Feb UPDATE: Had a very strong CBA rate and played the majority of the first practice game through the midfield. I've bumped him up slightly.

At that price I'm weary of Crisp's scoring under Pies new game plan. When playing midfield in the past he still relies on finding a lot of short marks, something Pies are moving away from if pre-season was anything to go by.

I'd have preferred him in the back 50 with last year's possession based game plan over a midfielder with the new game plan this year.

At that price I'm weary of Crisp's scoring under Pies new game plan. When playing midfield in the past he still relies on finding a lot of short marks, something Pies are moving away from if pre-season was anything to go by.

I'd have preferred him in the back 50 with last year's possession based game plan over a midfielder with the new game plan this year.
Yep 100%, I had Lloyd up until yesterday as I saw a bit more value there.

Toying with dropping Crisp down to Dawson but it doesn't really get me anywhere in other positions (only NOD up to a ~300k defender, none of whom I like) so might just stick with him despite the lack of value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back