Discussion 2022 Fantasy General Discussion / Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ....why are people not going to the Football, in the numbers, B4 the pandemic

I saw a number yesterday ....19% down on 2019

I've had a lot of discussions & personal thoughts on this ....these are my 3 conclusions

1. Club Members used to just rock up at games, scan their membership ticket ...and go to their allocated seats ...now they have to go online to get a ticket & pay a booking fee ....many are saying **** that !

2. Going to the football is a habit ....and that habit has been broken

3. Many people suffered financially during & continuing post pandemic .....they now simply watch on TV

4. The game is changing .....as Eddie McGuire said last night, the contact nature of the game is disappearing .....the fans are totally frustrated, they're seeing players suspended for actions Coach's have always applauded (shepherding)

Now I know, every year, people say that's it ...not renewing membership, not going to the footy again ect ect .....and by n large, it's a furphy ......but IMO there is a straw that breaks the Camels back

They're seeing a politicising of the game .....a corporate look, the average fan is hating

Understand the head knocks & legal implications, down the track ......but it is an occupational habit, you sign up, knowing may occur ......how does boxing / MMA handle ?
If you don't want the head knocks, don't play .....if you want the insane $$$$ , then there is a trade-off .....you cannot tell me the skills of today's AFL footballer (in the main) is worthy of $500K - $1M a year

Do you ruin the fabric of the game, to avoid legal action ......seems to me, the AFL's priority is not in the right area
AFL is dying.

watching arnold schwarzenegger GIF

So ....why are people not going to the Football, in the numbers, B4 the pandemic

I saw a number yesterday ....19% down on 2019

I've had a lot of discussions & personal thoughts on this ....these are my 4 conclusions

1. Club Members used to just rock up at games, scan their membership ticket ...and go to their allocated seats ...now they have to go online to get a ticket & pay a booking fee ....many are saying **** that !

2. Going to the football is a habit ....and that habit has been broken

3. Many people suffered financially during & continuing post pandemic .....they now simply watch on TV

4. The game is changing .....as Eddie McGuire said last night, the contact nature of the game is disappearing .....the fans are totally frustrated, they're seeing players suspended for actions Coach's have always applauded (shepherding)

Now I know, every year, people say that's it ...not renewing membership, not going to the footy again ect ect .....and by n large, it's a furphy ......but IMO there is a straw that breaks the Camels back

They're seeing a politicising of the game .....a corporate look, the average fan is hating

Understand the head knocks & legal implications, down the track ......but it is an occupational habit, you sign up, knowing may occur ......how does boxing / MMA handle ?
If you don't want the head knocks, don't play .....if you want the insane $$$$ , then there is a trade-off .....you cannot tell me the skills of today's AFL footballer (in the main) is worthy of $500K - $1M a year

Do you ruin the fabric of the game, to avoid legal action ......seems to me, the AFL's priority is not in the right area
It comes down to classic corporate advisory bullshit. A couple of overpaid puffer jackets with an Econ degree and no actual talent will come in and tell you that you can access 10% more market share by attracting soccer mums, inner city hippies and [insert under represented minority here] all by doing x, y and z. The problem is, these types never look at the down side, they only see the upside, the dollar bills and before you know you've alienated your core supporter base that has made you so successful in the first place. 10% on top of 3 million sounds good, but not when it alienates and disenfranchises half a million of your core base. It's what happened to Netflix, Marvel, the NBA, the Big Bash and it's happening to the AFL. Corporate advisory is the number one indicator of a bloated, fall-of-rome-esque society.

It comes down to classic corporate advisory bullshit. A couple of overpaid puffer jackets with an Econ degree and no actual talent will come in and tell you that you can access 10% more market share by attracting soccer mums, inner city hippies and [insert under represented minority here] all by doing x, y and z. The problem is, these types never look at the down side, they only see the upside, the dollar bills and before you know you've alienated your core supporter base that has made you so successful in the first place. 10% on top of 3 million sounds good, but not when it alienates and disenfranchises half a million of your core base. It's what happened to Netflix, Marvel, the NBA, the Big Bash and it's happening to the AFL. Corporate advisory is the number one indicator of a bloated, fall-of-rome-esque society.
The AFL made the classic business mistake .....keep your business structure flat ....don't have too many layers

They can't even get the Umpire Colours correct, to not clash .....I mean, how hard is that ....reckon most secondary students could do a better job

I love my players having a bit of sass ....as long as they can play & don't put the cart B4 the horse

Takes a wild swing, misses the ball, kcocks himself out on the stand....

It's the typical AFL overreaction to something that creates an even worse situation than what we had before...

They need to get a few people with brain cells into AFL House, it's not actually that hard to sort out.

It's the typical AFL overreaction to something that creates an even worse situation than what we had before...

They need to get a few people with brain cells into AFL House, it's not actually that hard to sort out.
Umpire on the spot, saw it as everyone else did ....no Free Kick .....so the Ump 50 mtres away decides to be the hero & guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA footy legend Neil Kerley dies in Walker Flat car crash​

One of South Australian football’s most influential and famous figures, Neil Kerley, has died in a car crash.

Kerley, a former state captain and coach who was involved at five SANFL clubs, winning four premierships, crashed on Mallee Rd, Walker Flat, in the Murraylands just before 5.30pm on Wednesday.

His car, towing a trailer, smashed through a fence into a paddock about 4km from his home. He was 88.

rest-in-peace-candle.gif

Maybe the umpires can just pay HTB instead of letting players drop the ball when they're tackled...or even a ball up within the first 2 minutes of a scrimmage and then not wait for every player to crowd around while team work out who's nominating for the ruck contest.
Nice to see Leigh has been reading my posts

More stats for outside players (wingman, rebound defenders) less stats for inside midfielders and rucks (less stoppages)
Rucks less relevant .....tap rucks that is

Good for the likes of English, Jackson .....bad for Witts, Gawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back