Strategy 2022 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance that TT is worth picking - especially with Greene missing the first quarter of the season. They've got more mids than they know what to do with now - and they just got Callaghan as a mid/winger too.

Just can't trust Cameron, unless they cop a bunch of injuries and he's forced to play TT as a full time mid - which he becomes a lock then.

Wait until the byes, and then grab him at a bargain if he's getting enough mid time - otherwise avoid. Same with injury prone Cogs - who screwed me big time last year.

Taranto is a must have. They've always had depth at the midfield spot and it's never stopped Taranto from being a jet. Sure its annoying when he plays forward but he scores well when forward too.

Sean Darcy
He looks magnificent. I was watching him (on Monday) and he’s easily in the best shape of his career. There’s a guy over here, a personal trainer that a lot of these local guys here have been using in the off-season. In their four to six weeks off they go to this bloke three or four times a week and they come out sculpted and Darcy was the first one to do it. He started doing it two or three years ago and now they’re all there. Even the guys form Melbourne and the Bulldogs that were over and stayed over from the Grand Final were all going too. He’s like a sculptor of bodies and that’s where Darcy’s breakout came from, he even said in in (Doig Medal winning) speech. It’s a really good sign that he cares that much about getting in shape, his ceiling is massive. Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn are probably still one and two in terms of fantasy ruckman, but I reckon Darcy is going to push them this year. Within two to three years it’s not going to be a competition, he’ll just be the number one guy, he’s looking fantastic, better than I’ve seen him at this time of year.

Caleb Serong
I was massive on Caleb Serong last pre-season, I talked him up every single place. I think I did it on this podcast and his start was really slow and I was really surprised by that. By the time he clicked into gear he exploded and that’s what I think he is. This guy is already a leader at this Club, he’s already shown that he’s an elite ball-winner, he’s hard as nails, he’s got that Joel Selwood thing where he just starts the game with strapping around his head, he’s a warrior. I think he’s just going to be a fantastic midfielder for the next 15 years, I would be putting a lot of stock into Caleb Serong from a fantasy perspective and from what he can possibly achieve in his career. He’s just an absolute find for the Fremantle Dockers and him and Andy Brayshaw together are going to be their one-two punch for a long time.

Sean Darcy
He looks magnificent. I was watching him (on Monday) and he’s easily in the best shape of his career. There’s a guy over here, a personal trainer that a lot of these local guys here have been using in the off-season. In their four to six weeks off they go to this bloke three or four times a week and they come out sculpted and Darcy was the first one to do it. He started doing it two or three years ago and now they’re all there. Even the guys form Melbourne and the Bulldogs that were over and stayed over from the Grand Final were all going too. He’s like a sculptor of bodies and that’s where Darcy’s breakout came from, he even said in in (Doig Medal winning) speech. It’s a really good sign that he cares that much about getting in shape, his ceiling is massive. Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn are probably still one and two in terms of fantasy ruckman, but I reckon Darcy is going to push them this year. Within two to three years it’s not going to be a competition, he’ll just be the number one guy, he’s looking fantastic, better than I’ve seen him at this time of year.

Caleb Serong
I was massive on Caleb Serong last pre-season, I talked him up every single place. I think I did it on this podcast and his start was really slow and I was really surprised by that. By the time he clicked into gear he exploded and that’s what I think he is. This guy is already a leader at this Club, he’s already shown that he’s an elite ball-winner, he’s hard as nails, he’s got that Joel Selwood thing where he just starts the game with strapping around his head, he’s a warrior. I think he’s just going to be a fantastic midfielder for the next 15 years, I would be putting a lot of stock into Caleb Serong from a fantasy perspective and from what he can possibly achieve in his career. He’s just an absolute find for the Fremantle Dockers and him and Andy Brayshaw together are going to be their one-two punch for a long time.

“Sculptor of bodies”
1638598968049.jpeg
ive sculpted my body in a similar manner at my local pie shop body sculptor

Finally got my team under the cap. Had to remove M Crouch, R Marshall and Dunkley among others.

Defence is a bit loaded, but, as is always the case: I'll place the best rookies, then fill in the gaps and that will be probably after the first couple of games.

I don't see Melbourne, Dogs, Tigers or Carlton having any rookie spots available.

Obviously prices are based on the 2021 magic number and salary cap.

Edit: Lipinski and Horne-Francis won't be forwards. Not Happy

First Team Nov 29.png

Last edited:
Finally got my team under the cap. Had to remove M Crouch, R Marshall and Dunkley among others.

Defence is a bit loaded, but, as is always the case: I'll place the best rookies, then fill in the gaps and that will be probably after the first couple of games.

I don't see Melbourne, Dogs, Tigers or Carlton having any rookie spots available.

Obviously prices are based on the 2021 magic number and salary cap.

View attachment 1292036
Just seen the release of some positions, and Lipinski won't be a forward. Bummer.

But Jed Anderson will be a forward. Very interesting.

Obviously, I should have looked at all the released positions before posting my team because Horne-Francis won't have DPP. Quite bizarre: was playing forward a lot for Sth Adelaide and kicking goals.

I wonder if Champion Data are just guessing how often he started forward in the SANFL. No doubt, a mid in u19's but I reckon mid/fwd for South.

Oh well. Another to try and squeeze into the mids.

Last edited:
Just seen the release of some positions, and Lipinski won't be a forward. Bummer.

But Jed Anderson will be a forward. Very interesting.
Wonder if you could go Lipinski in the mids?

Wonder if you could go Lipinski in the mids?

I wouldn't, but watch the pre-season games to see how he goes.

He's not quick, doesn't tackle much (or make them stick) - good kick though. Not sure he'll generate THAT much cash to be worth holding onto for long enough to make upgrading him the right move to make...

I wouldn't, but watch the pre-season games to see how he goes.

He's not quick, doesn't tackle much (or make them stick) - good kick though. Not sure he'll generate THAT much cash to be worth holding onto for long enough to make upgrading him the right move to make...
Be interesting but could see him either going 110 or 70

Like Phillips I think he'll be a bust but could explode in the pre-season

Shame he wasn't a forward

Be interesting but could see him either going 110 or 70

Like Phillips I think he'll be a bust but could explode in the pre-season

Shame he wasn't a forward

He doesn't move enough to get lots of cheap +6's, running around the middle. He doesn't get the +4's from a good hug - he'll be more like Phillips I suspect.

He'll rise (not sure what he's currently priced at), but not enough to allow a straight or easy swap to a premo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't move enough to get lots of cheap +6's, running around the middle. He doesn't get the +4's from a good hug - he'll be more like Phillips I suspect.

He'll rise (not sure what he's currently priced at), but not enough to allow a straight or easy swap to a premo.
definetly there is a reason so many others went past him at the Bulldogs

Phillips was the name and player who kinda looks similar

Id lock in a 90 average at best

With a few 120s to tease coaches

Confirmed it is staying
Link?

I was expecting the first game Saturday morning as lockout as thats what Warnie wanted and he usually gets

The rolling lockout plays into the die hard (Us) hands though

Apparently the salary cap will be increased to around 14.8M for next year.

Makes it pointless trying to put together any teams until a full price list is released now.

You could still base it on how many points spent on field last year. I doubt it will be massivily different

Link?

I was expecting the first game Saturday morning as lockout as thats what Warnie wanted and he usually gets

The rolling lockout plays into the die hard (Us) hands though

You could still base it on how many points spent on field last year. I doubt it will be massivily different
Warnie confirmed it in the first Traders Podcast that was published today.

Makes it pointless trying to put together any teams until a full price list is released now.
As indicated below, magic number will just change so likely the similar amount of points on field. But you're right though, there's not point putting a team together ahead of official prices anyway. Just get your spreadsheet or shortlist going and wait for it to go live. I think it will be a pre-Christmas launch again.

I must admit im surprised the cap has significantly increased from 12.8 from memory or was it 13.0 last year to 14.8 this year. I always thought they liked to keep it similar to the AFL team caps, maybe there caps have gone back up significantly

His VFL average was in the 130s and will get inside mid opportunity at the Pies. He was hardly played in that position at the dogs (which is fair enough), only ever getting around 30% cbas a few years back and 0 cbas in 2021. He averaged 85 2 years ago with those cba numbers.

he should be 3rd in line after Adams and whoever plays mid out of crisp and Maynard. DeGoey out will help as well but just a wait and see there.

He has a huge endurance and work ethic from what I’ve read which would somewhat explain the ridiculous VFL numbers.

Has work to do on the defensive side, his tackles/contested numbers in the vfl aren’t that bad though. We’ll see if players get away from him too easily in preseason.

To me this pick looks free and has 95+ conservatively written all over it.

phillips comparisons are unfair, he only has one thing going for him - endurance. A blind man competing in shooting would hit more targets than Phillips. Phillips role is also different and cbas dropped from 50 to 5% from preseason to in season

How the pies set up will be one of the most intriguing watches

Pendles, Adams, JDG, Crisp, Sidebottom, Lipinski, J.Daicos, N.Daicos, F.Macrae could all play in the middle. Then you have guys like Poulter and Bianco as possible wing options

Not really. You can still put teams together using all last season’s parameters. It’s all relative. Last year you needed your 30 players to be priced at an average of 56.74 or it’s equivalent price. That is: $433,333.

You just need to know what average your player will be priced at next season. If you need help with that, just ask me. I won’t guarantee that I’ll be looking at this page every day, though.

Whereas last year’s magic number was ~7636.5; it would seem next year’s will be roughly 8,688 or 8,687.995 more precisely.

Assuming the 14.8 million is correct, that is.

If it’s correct, then I’d say we can expect the minimum price to increase for the first time since it was raised to $170,000 in 2018.

If they use the same minimum to cap ratio as last season then the minimum in 2022 would be $193,000. The ratio has been different each year that the min has been 170K and each of those four seasons it has helped affordability by staying the same with an increasing cap.

I think we can expect it to be rounded to $200,000 in 2022, and thus, make it a bit harder to squeeze your players in.

Just had a quick look at the last four seasons and the rookie priced players in round 1.

Every pre-season we hear it from everywhere that there is a dearth of rookies and this year will be no different. It never turns out that way though. I always take the attitude that the less rookies the better, because it would force us to be far more creative with the result being sides that are different to each other. But it's all irrelevant; there will be rookies.

Anyway, the number of players to play round 1 that were priced at under 300K have been:

2018: 38
2019: 38
2020: 31
2021: 46

But of course, that doesn't tell the full story, because many of these players are NEVER going to be picked in our teams.

They are going to be a Nathan Brown, Alex Pearce or a Stratton, or even a first year player like Sam Taylor or McAsey who are not cheap enough and are obviously negating Key Defenders. Whereas, I think a guy like Butts could have been picked because he was cheap and 40 points a week would be acceptable if you a bench defender.

So, round 1 rookies available after ruling out those who you'd never pick:

2018: 32
2019: 33
2020: 24
2021: 38.

As always, 2020 is an outlier.

Although, we will look through best 22's (well, I will) and look, seemingly, in vain for opportunities for rookies to get selected, by round 1 we, once again, will have enough options to sift through.

I must admit im surprised the cap has significantly increased from 12.8 from memory or was it 13.0 last year to 14.8 this year. I always thought they liked to keep it similar to the AFL team caps, maybe there caps have gone back up significantly
That's right, they do just follow the AFL Salary Cap so it must have expanded this year. I think it was due to have expanded the last couple of years but the Covid cuts affected it, must have returned to normal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back