Taking Notes1.gif
1639473738980.png

Last edited:

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeh don't mind Short just prefer the others and can't see that changing. He avg 95.2 without Houli last year and avg 93.4 for the year.

Lloyd - Just love his safety of scoring and durability, similar to Short. I can't see myself not picking him

Serong - Just think he's close to freos number 2 midfielder now behind BrayshW and we've seen his PPM so high, apparently becoming a really good endurance runner so I expect continued increase in TOG. Only priced at 82 ish

M.Crouch - Purely depends on PS, he needs to play a game in PS. Avg 105+ for the last 4 years he's played. Priced 77.

Yeo - Come back early in PS and training really well. Avg 107 (2018), 103 (2019) as non injury interrupted year. Priced 83

Rowell- I'm a little less convinced by. Think he gets a tonne of midfield time 2nd behind Touk as their starting mid. I didn't start him last year at a similar price and never brought him in last year either. I think he had a soft draw for his big scores early in 2020, I believe they won a few of those games. Priced 55 though 80 is a pass mark.

Getting a bit worried about Worpel. I really rated him before ehe was drafted and then was waiting for that mid time which led to a breakout and B+F. Last year was a strange one. Hawks trialling a few through the middle. Titch, JOM, Worpel, Wingard, Nash, Newcombe and newly drafted Ward. This isn't including Shiels who I thinks going to play a different role.

Mcgrath I like aswell. Not as much as the Yeo, Serong, M.Crouch group but his issue is also alot of mouths to feed at Essendon

Parish
Zerrett
Stringer CBAs
Caldwell
D.Shiel
Mcgrath
Langford
N.Cox
Hobbs (Drafted as a pure mid)
[/QUOTE]

McGrath as future captain of the club looked really good early on last year before he was injured. But yeah, bit of a questionmark on Essendon's midfield setup atm. He (like the rest of them) seems to have a 130+ game then a 60 game. No consistency.

Parish flourished with him gone, but his scores dropped later in McGrath back.
I think I'll have McGrath ahead of Parish on my list just on price.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
McGrath as future captain of the club looked really good early on last year before he was injured. But yeah, bit of a questionmark on Essendon's midfield setup atm. He (like the rest of them) seems to have a 130+ game then a 60 game. No consistency.

Parish flourished with him gone, but his scores dropped later in McGrath back.
I think I'll have McGrath ahead of Parish on my list just on price.

I think playing him on the wing is where the club goes wrong. All his attributes suit inside congestion now.

Certainly have him on the list higher than Parish although I'm still bullish on Parish after round 3 he was huge and started getting tags late in the season which burnt a few as they followed RoyDT. I'm surprised he was the target ahead of Zerrett who's mainly an outside player and has the elite foot skills Parish doesn't

Just alot of midfield mouths to feed now at Essendon. Really Hobbs walks into most teams one of the most ready to go players from the draft 18 yr olds and its looking like he's not best 22 and relying on injury.

Last edited:
Yep I think you only take 1 of the 3 as a lock it and leave captain.

Of the three I'm leaning towards Steele at this stage also.
Steele i just can't see dropping, Saint Kilda were crap and he kept scoring well

Can't see him stop tackling

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Steele i just can't see dropping, Saint Kilda were crap and he kept scoring well

Can't see him stop tackling
At over a $M it won't take too much for him to drop .....but I'd take Steele at his price B4 Touk Touk

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Naturally if you pick the best scorer (Steele) and everyone maintains there price you score more than someone who doesn't pick the best scorer due to captaincy

I'm just worried on Steele that he is now Saints best mid and could cop a fair bit more attention imo. Remember he avg 29 disp 5 marks and kicked 13 goals for the year. I also think a tag can nullify tackles aswell without any evidence

Milo Cyrus

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Naturally if you pick the best scorer (Steele) and everyone maintains there price you score more than someone who doesn't pick the best scorer due to captaincy

I'm just worried on Steele that he is now Saints best mid and could cop a fair bit more attention imo. Remember he avg 29 disp 5 marks and kicked 13 goals for the year. I also think a tag can nullify tackles aswell without any evidence
I’ll still likely pick him but I wonder what a fit Gresham, Z Jones, Hanners etc do to their midfield make up. I fully expect Gresham to play bulk inside minutes like he did before his injury

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I’ll still likely pick him but I wonder what a fit Gresham, Z Jones, Hanners etc do to their midfield make up. I fully expect Gresham to play bulk inside minutes like he did before his injury

laugh3.gif

Sep 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
With how forthcoming he was with wanting to trade him, and them going the full rebuild, anyone worried how Sam Mitchell will use Tom Mitchell? I mean he would find the footy anywhere he plays, but there may be players cheaper than Titch with more upside perhaps?
Strikes me that Smitchell is the kinda guy who just likes to win. And he won't really give a crap who he personally likes and doesn't like, or who got put up on the trade table. I think at this point (really early to say, I know) Titchell and Wingard will get first dibs in the midfield? I'm leaning towards starting them both

Edit: I mean, it's not going out on a limb to say Titchell is Hawks first choice mid. Just saying I don't think the trade thing will be an issue

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Strikes me that Smitchell is the kinda guy who just likes to win. And he won't really give a crap who he personally likes and doesn't like, or who got put up on the trade table. I think at this point (really early to say, I know) Titchell and Wingard will get first dibs in the midfield? I'm leaning towards starting them both

Edit: I mean, it's not going out on a limb to say Titchell is Hawks first choice mid. Just saying I don't think the trade thing will be an issue
You’re probably right. I’m definitely keen on Mitchell. Think he could easily be the number 1 averaging player in 2022, just wanted to get some thoughts on how the fantasy cohort think he’ll be used under Sam Mitchell

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Sshhh on Gresham. A bargain as a forward
Who are Saints small forwards without him? Butler, edit and Higgins (Was the one I forgot)

Losing Dunstan maybe allows for more time but I think Bytel gets a large chunk of that. Also interesting what happens with Hunter Clark

Saints do seem a bit thinner compared to other sides and also always get injuries to injury prone Gresham, Zak Jones, Hanners ect

Expect Steele, Zak Jones, B.Crouch to be their starting 3 inside mids with Bytel rotating in there. Gresham does offer a bit of speed, power and creativity that's a bit unique to the others

Last edited:

Cm Perfect

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Dorset, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
I spend way too much time on fantasy footy as is, but the more cash they give us, the more I want a second type of game that has less budget (and less or no prizes if need be).

Give ~ 2 thirds of the salary cap. Would be interesting to not be able to field all guns and rookies for a change.

Yes that would be great.

I'd also be up for some kind of bonus points system if you field a low-ownership player - e.g. a 20% mark up on their weekly score if their ownership is 1% or less that week. Would stop people all picking the same players and encourage more risk taking. People would have to keep their uniques to themselves so their ownership stays down. You could play it safe and take someone really dull like Mitch Robinson or Taylor Duryea and just get his 70 + bonus score each week.

It feels like a large chunk of the players in the AFL aren't Fantasy relevant, so encouraging people to dive into that pool a little more would be a good addition to the game I think.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes that would be great.

I'd also be up for some kind of bonus points system if you field a low-ownership player - e.g. a 20% mark up on their weekly score if their ownership is 1% or less that week. Would stop people all picking the same players and encourage more risk taking. People would have to keep their uniques to themselves so their ownership stays down. You could play it safe and take someone really dull like Mitch Robinson or Taylor Duryea and just get his 70 + bonus score each week.

It feels like a large chunk of the players in the AFL aren't Fantasy relevant, so encouraging people to dive into that pool a little more would be a good addition to the game I think.
This is why I prefer draft. A couple leagues I have each year run deep teams with 10 of us. Something like 6 defender, 8 mids, 2 rucks, 6 forwards. Means by the time you get to your bench there is almost zero relevant guys left. Makes it very interesting

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Yes that would be great.

Love this thought

I actually liked last year not many teams got a full 22 super premos towards the end

This year is way too easy and going to make it very stale imo. First year I've lost a bit of interest in fantasy with PS as much as I'm posting here

Much prefer DFS these days

I don't think the aim should be to allow most teams to have a really strong 22 towards the back end of the season. The aim should be only for the very few top sides to finish like that. This year it seems you can pretty much start with 4 rookies on field and thus 4 rookie upgrades and a couple of midpricers like Milera ect to be upgraded

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This is why I prefer draft. A couple leagues I have each year run deep teams with 10 of us. Something like 6 defender, 8 mids, 2 rucks, 6 forwards. Means by the time you get to your bench there is almost zero relevant guys left. Makes it very interesting

I find going too deep in draft can have the opposite effect.

With no pool left of spare players it becomes obvious who'll win by round 3 or 4. Then there's the fact no one trades or swaps out players.

If you cop a big injury like dunkley out for the season you're basically sunk.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes that would be great.

Love this thought

I actually liked last year not many teams got a full 22 super premos towards the end

This year is way too easy and going to make it very stale imo. First year I've lost a bit of interest in fantasy with PS as much as I'm posting here

Much prefer DFS these days

I don't think the aim should be to allow most teams to have a really strong 22 towards the back end of the season. The aim should be only for the very few top sides to finish like that. This year it seems you can pretty much start with 4 rookies on field and thus 4 rookie upgrades and a couple of midpricers like Milera ect to be upgraded
Yeah, I’ve thought about this too. It’d be great if there was a mechanism that increased the pool of options.

Sep 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Just throwing this out there for a really very early days pre-pre-season team, with lots of ramblings (sorry, I'm a bit drunk). There'll surely be many many more iterations to follow.

Overall I'm trying to avoid Dees players - loosely along the lines of "the premiership hangover is real" theory. Plus none of them are underpriced or have any major upside... With the possible exception of Petracca, who I reckon could go truly next-next level. But he'll have to be an in-season upgrade target.

(Prices are based on dtlive - but I guess Marchbank and W.Rioli probably won't actually be basement price in the end.)

Defence:
Crisp
Dawson
Young
Sicily
Chesser
C.Dean
(W.Kelly
Marchbank)

Really uncertain about this bunch. Never had Crisp on my team in the past, but he seems like a safe(ish) D1 option. Dawson - why not? At this stage, there no one else really screaming pick me. Lloyd and Whit just don't seem to have the same aura that they used to. Young and Sicily I like for their value, high floors and job security.

Mids:
Steele
Mitchell
Neale
Yeo
Serong
Horne-Francis
Daicos
J.Ward
(M.Johnson
Goater
G.Clark)

Got all giddy at first and insta-added both Touk and Steele - but really can't justify going with two guys priced at 120+. Bit of a coinflip, but I think Steele's past seasons show a steadier trajectory. Don't really love that my thinking seems to reflect that of the Traders on their last pod, but what can you do? Neale and Yeo are really underpriced if they're fully fit again, which it *seems* they are - and they'll have every chance to hit their 100+ ceilings again. I went with Serong last season and he was a fail, but I'm trying not to let that cloud my thinking this year - surely *this* is his year lol. Happy to wait and see on Rowell - he's only played like 5? senior games in 2 seasons ever - it can't be easy to deal with the uncertainty and expectation that he's under.

Rucks:
Grundy
Witts
(S.Hayes)

I think they'll ease Gawn into the year, especially with the luxury of having Jackson to give extra opportunity to. I was a bit surprised to see just how well Grundy had averaged the past two years, given all the discussion about his form etc. Witts seems like just as good a starting option as last year - though Darcy is tempting if I can find the extra cash.

Fwds:
Duncan
Dunkley
Wingard
Heeney
Gresham
Hollands
(Pedlar
W.Rioli)

Hard to go past Duncan and Dunks - sort of a defensive choice given they'll be highly owned. Wingard and Heeney - maybe I'm not as scarred as others, but they both finished pretty well last year, I think with good mid minutes, and they could get the same or more opportunities this year. Apparently Horse (I know) said Heeney (I know!) could get a 70:30 mid:fwd split this year (yeah I know!) - haha, we'll see. But it's money if he does finally meet his potential.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back