Strategy 2022 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My early team, with a rough'ish idea on pricing:

DEF: Hall, Lloyd, Stewart, Sicily, Wilmot, Rook (Rook Rook)

MID: Steele, Macrae, Oliver, Yeo, N. Daicos, JHF, Ward, G. Clark (C. Stephens, Hobbs)

RUCK: Grundy, Witts (Preuss)

FWD: Duncan, Dunkley, Treloar, Dusty, Butters, Hollands (Rook, Rook)

INT: Hayes

Aside from Hall and Treloar (who is still very iffy but also completes the Dogs 'trio' so I can get the best scorer of the 3 - besides Bont -), I've gone with guys who are proven scorers, with proven roles and (most) with proven durability. Also chose Butters as a 'breakout' star, given his rumored increased midfield time this pre-season, and slim Dusty with rumoured increase of mid minutes (this could change though along with Treloar).

After last season, I'm going with durability over 'risk.' Guys like Macrae and Oliver might not be as exciting, but you can pencil them in for at least a hundred every week. As we all know though, it's not the team you start with, but the trades you make that really separate the wheat from the chaff - no matter how much starting cash you're given.

Last edited:
My early team, with a rough'ish idea on pricing:

DEF: Hall, Lloyd, Stewart, Sicily, Wilmot, Rook (Rook Rook)

MID: Steele, Macrae, Oliver, Yeo, N. Daicos, JHF, Ward, G. Clark (C. Stephens, Hobbs)

RUCK: Grundy, Witts (Preuss)

FWD: Duncan, Dunkley, Treloar, Dusty, Butters, Hollands (Rook, Rook)

INT: Hayes

Aside from Hall and Treloar (who is still very iffy but also completes the Dogs 'trio' so I can get the best scorer of the 3 - besides Bont -), I've gone with guys who are proven scorers, with proven roles and (most) with proven durability. Also chose Butters as a 'breakout' star, given his rumored increased midfield time this pre-season, and slim Dusty with rumoured increase of mid minutes (this could change though along with Treloar).

After last season, I'm going with durability over 'risk.' Guys like Macrae and Oliver might not be as exciting, but you can pencil them in for at least a hundred every week. As we all know though, it's not the team you start with, but the trades you make that really separate the wheat from the chaff - no matter how much starting cash you're given.
Love the call on durability. After having my season derailed last year by injuries aplenty, I’ll be valuing durable guys highly when putting together my side

I find going too deep in draft can have the opposite effect.

With no pool left of spare players it becomes obvious who'll win by round 3 or 4. Then there's the fact no one trades or swaps out players.

If you cop a big injury like dunkley out for the season you're basically sunk.
Interesting. My league is very very even so there’s lots and lots of trading going on. You’re right in the big injury though but generally I feel you’re stuffed in any draft league if you get 1-2 big injuries

Just throwing this out there for a really very early days pre-pre-season team, with lots of ramblings (sorry, I'm a bit drunk). There'll surely be many many more iterations to follow.

Overall I'm trying to avoid Dees players - loosely along the lines of "the premiership hangover is real" theory. Plus none of them are underpriced or have any major upside... With the possible exception of Petracca, who I reckon could go truly next-next level. But he'll have to be an in-season upgrade target.

(Prices are based on dtlive - but I guess Marchbank and W.Rioli probably won't actually be basement price in the end.)

Defence:
Crisp
Dawson
Young
Sicily
Chesser
C.Dean
(W.Kelly
Marchbank)

Really uncertain about this bunch. Never had Crisp on my team in the past, but he seems like a safe(ish) D1 option. Dawson - why not? At this stage, there no one else really screaming pick me. Lloyd and Whit just don't seem to have the same aura that they used to. Young and Sicily I like for their value, high floors and job security.

Mids:
Steele
Mitchell
Neale
Yeo
Serong
Horne-Francis
Daicos
J.Ward
(M.Johnson
Goater
G.Clark)

Got all giddy at first and insta-added both Touk and Steele - but really can't justify going with two guys priced at 120+. Bit of a coinflip, but I think Steele's past seasons show a steadier trajectory. Don't really love that my thinking seems to reflect that of the Traders on their last pod, but what can you do? Neale and Yeo are really underpriced if they're fully fit again, which it *seems* they are - and they'll have every chance to hit their 100+ ceilings again. I went with Serong last season and he was a fail, but I'm trying not to let that cloud my thinking this year - surely *this* is his year lol. Happy to wait and see on Rowell - he's only played like 5? senior games in 2 seasons ever - it can't be easy to deal with the uncertainty and expectation that he's under.

Rucks:
Grundy
Witts
(S.Hayes)

I think they'll ease Gawn into the year, especially with the luxury of having Jackson to give extra opportunity to. I was a bit surprised to see just how well Grundy had averaged the past two years, given all the discussion about his form etc. Witts seems like just as good a starting option as last year - though Darcy is tempting if I can find the extra cash.

Fwds:
Duncan
Dunkley
Wingard
Heeney
Gresham
Hollands
(Pedlar
W.Rioli)

Hard to go past Duncan and Dunks - sort of a defensive choice given they'll be highly owned. Wingard and Heeney - maybe I'm not as scarred as others, but they both finished pretty well last year, I think with good mid minutes, and they could get the same or more opportunities this year. Apparently Horse (I know) said Heeney (I know!) could get a 70:30 mid:fwd split this year (yeah I know!) - haha, we'll see. But it's money if he does finally meet his potential.

Do yourself a favour and delete Wingard and Heeney.

Don't do it to yourself in 2022. You can do without the heartache and stress. Just ignore they exist. Do NOT be suckered in when they score 2x 100+ scores in a row and look like they've turned a corner to consistency. It's NOT real.

Do yourself a favour and delete Wingard and Heeney.

Don't do it to yourself in 2022. You can do without the heartache and stress. Just ignore they exist. Do NOT be suckered in when they score 2x 100+ scores in a row and look like they've turned a corner to consistency. It's NOT real.

Haha, thanks for the warning - always good to get a reality check! It's preseason time, when everyone is the next big breakout candidate and/or future superstar!

My way too early 2022 team:

Hall, Whitfield, Ridley, Sicily, Hambling, Marchbank (Rook, Rook)

Steele, Macrae, Oliver, Mitchell, Serong, JHF, Daicos, Clark (Rook, Rook, Rook)

Grundy, Witts (Probably Strnadica via SPP)

Duncan, Dunkley, Coniglio, Gresham, Rioli, Hollands (Rook, Rook)

If Matt Crouch is fit, he'll be in (probably one of Crouch, Serong, Yeo). Also very keen on Will Day.

Last edited:

If Matt Crouch is fit, he'll be in (probably one of Crouch, Serong, Yeo). Also very keen on Will Day.
Absolutely

It kind of saddens me how good that team looks.

Seems like starting teams get stronger and stronger every year.

3-5 years ago and I'd be stoked with that sort of team by mid-year....

If we're ignoring last year and the fact he's in a dogs jumper... if offered Treloar for $731k last year we'd have all jumped on him.

Let alone wtih forward status.

Surprising not more love for him. I think I need to squeeze him in somewhere. You can almost be assured he'll be a top 6 forward come seasons end.

Ditto Coniglio around $700k. Simply too cheap not to lock them in up forward. Basically just getting extra midfield depth with these picks.

Duncan, Dunkley, Coniglio, Treloar, Gresham, Rioli, Hollands... theres 7 that scream "PICK ME" straight off the bat.
I may end up with a DPP in the midfield as a result.

I was going to pick Duncan regardless in the midfield this year so I could stick him there to make my midfield look nice also.

First pointless crack at a team on drawing board:

Def: Hall, Whifield, Ridley, Sicily, Milera, Marchbank (Rook, rook);
Mid: Steele, Mitchell, Duncan, Neale, M.Crouch, JHF, Daicos, Clark (rook, rook);
Ruck: Grundy, Darcy (rook);
Fwd: Dunkley, Treloar, Coniglio, Gresham, Hollands, Rioli (rook, rook).

Honestly it makes me sick how much I like it. Looks like a joke team with about +50% salary cap.
Not sure how accurate drawing board is though as they have Marchbank/Rioli at $190k. I would think those guys would be a bit higher and ruin this "dream" team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're ignoring last year and the fact he's in a dogs jumper... if offered Treloar for $731k last year we'd have all jumped on him.

Surprising not more love for him. I think I need to squeeze him in somewhere. You can almost be assured he'll be a top 6 forward come seasons end.

Ditto Coniglio around $700k. Simply too cheap not to lock them in up forward. Basically just getting extra midfield depth with these picks.

Duncan, Dunkley, Coniglio, Treloar, Gresham, Rioli, Hollands... theres 7 that scream "PICK ME" straight off the bat.

I was going to pick Duncan regardless in the midfield this year so I could stick him there to make my midfield look nice also.
The graveyard shift on the HFF could kill both of them. Nice first crack at a team btw! Good structure.

The graveyard shift on the HFF could kill both of them. Nice first crack at a team btw! Good structure.

Yeah very true. Although I think the advantage with both Treloar and Coniglio is that neither are particularly good at that half forward role haha.
Guys like Dunkley/Bont and Taranto/Greene are the weapons up forward.
I would hope the coaches see reason... but then it doesn't always work out that way.

Luckily they're both priced as if they're playing forward anyway, so there's really only upside in both.

To be honest, Marchbank isn't going to score more than 55-60 anyway so a rookie priced half back flanker will likely have him covered in any event. Willie, the same. But it would be handy to have the job security for hte bench if they were priced at 190.

First pointless crack at a team on drawing board:

Def: Hall, Whifield, Ridley, Sicily, Milera, Marchbank (Rook, rook);
Mid: Steele, Mitchell, Duncan, Neale, M.Crouch, JHF, Daicos, Clark (rook, rook);
Ruck: Grundy, Darcy (rook);
Fwd: Dunkley, Treloar, Coniglio, Gresham, Hollands, Rioli (rook, rook).

Honestly it makes me sick how much I like it. Looks like a joke team with about +50% salary cap.
Not sure how accurate drawing board is though as they have Marchbank/Rioli at $190k. I would think those guys would be a bit higher and ruin this "dream" team.
Dtlive has the prices wrong for Rioli, Marchbank, Sicily, Milera, M.Crouch and anyone that didn't play last year

Last edited:
Yeah very true. Although I think the advantage with both Treloar and Coniglio is that neither are particularly good at that half forward role haha.
Guys like Dunkley/Bont and Taranto/Greene are the weapons up forward.
I would hope the coaches see reason... but then it doesn't always work out that way.

Luckily they're both priced as if they're playing forward anyway, so there's really only upside in both.
Those roles have killed Dunkley and Taranto aswell. Bonts yet to do it. Greene's a what max 90 guy in that role and maybe more realistically a low to mid 80 guy there

After owning him this year and watching him closely, I really do think Sean Darcy can average 105 and push Gawn/Grundy as a top 2 ruck. He knows how to find the footy and tackles, doesn’t rely on hit outs

Bit of a mid-priced madness team here just for fun:

DEF: Dawson, Luke Ryan, Lukosius, Hayden Young, Day, Foley (Marchbank, O'Driscoll)
MID: McCluggage, Gaff, Simpkin, Dangerfield, Yeo, Caldwell, Horne-Francis, Nick Daicos (Pedlar, Cooper Stephens, Greg Clark)
RUC: Darcy, Witts (Hayes)
FWD: Duncan, T. Thomas, Butters, Gresham, Nash, W. Rioli (W. Kelly, E. Hollands)

I agree that the new salary cap is way too generous. I used to have to grit my teeth and scrape to field a half-decent starting team, now it's like I've got all this cash just lying around. I'm sure it will be enjoyable regardless but just feels like they could have tightened it up a bit.

Yeah, our teams look good but it's too easy. I'm not saying I'm putting a competition winning team together but I'm not having a lot of angst fitting guys in.

As I said the other day: when I updated my prices with the new magic number my current team went from having 200K in the bank to 800K in the bank.
Makes a difference.
Not sure how accurate drawing board is though as they have Marchbank/Rioli at $190k. I would think those guys would be a bit higher and ruin this "dream" team
Dtlive has the prices wrong for Rioli, Marchbank, Sicily, Milera, M.Crouch and anyone that didn't play last year
Yeah figured especially on marchbank and rioli.
You'd be a mad man not to pick them at the prices on drawing board.
I've got W Rioli at 348K
Marchbank at 307K
Sicily 510K
Milera 378K
M Crouch 649K

After owning him this year and watching him closely, I really do think Sean Darcy can average 105 and push Gawn/Grundy as a top 2 ruck. He knows how to find the footy and tackles, doesn’t rely on hit outs
Give me 22 games from him and I'm there. Can't see it, though.

I like this team of mine except for one thing: it looks like a lot of other teams. We've all spotted similar value players. Need to do some more digging but my shortlist has a lot of guys who I would never consider so at this stage, I reckon options are a little thin.

No doubt things will change once the preseason starts. That's where we overreact to one performance and stuff our teams up.

First Team 10 Dec.png

Last edited:
Bit of a mid-priced madness team here just for fun:

DEF: Dawson, Luke Ryan, Lukosius, Hayden Young, Day, Foley (Marchbank, O'Driscoll)
MID: McCluggage, Gaff, Simpkin, Dangerfield, Yeo, Caldwell, Horne-Francis, Nick Daicos (Pedlar, Cooper Stephens, Greg Clark)
RUC: Darcy, Witts (Hayes)
FWD: Duncan, T. Thomas, Butters, Gresham, Nash, W. Rioli (W. Kelly, E. Hollands)

I agree that the new salary cap is way too generous. I used to have to grit my teeth and scrape to field a half-decent starting team, now it's like I've got all this cash just lying around. I'm sure it will be enjoyable regardless but just feels like they could have tightened it up a bit.

I know it’s a bit of fun

But lukosius is our new centre half forward AVOID

I know it’s a bit of fun

But lukosius is our new centre half forward AVOID

Ah, cheers for the tip. He's always looked so talented so you know it's only a matter of time till he has a proper break out. But yeah if he's playing KPF then it's not going to help his Fantasy game.

I'm interested in who gets his wing/half back distributor role in that case. Maybe Powell becomes an option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back