Last edited:
Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Macrae, Steele, Mitchell pick 2? That’s my conundrum
Yep I’m in that same boat. Not sure how to play it right now but Steele is absolutely locked in

I have all 3 .....biggest conundrum for me is Walsh v Zerrett

Lyons last season for me was great ....I don't have him so far this year (too expensive) ....I'm having those remorseful feelings though, and it's only Jan
I feel like Lyons regresses a touch this year so isn’t a must start. You must be going massive to start off with in your mids if M4 is one of Walsh or Merrett!

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I feel like Lyons regresses a touch this year so isn’t a must start. You must be going massive to start off with in your mids if M4 is one of Walsh or Merrett!
Yep going big in Mids .....Walsh M4 ....Crouch M6

DEF down to D4 ...then Rookies
FWD down to F3 ...then Rookies .....but a lot of Rookies with DPP sitting in my mids as backup

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep going big in Mids .....Walsh M4 ....Crouch M6

DEF down to D4 ...then Rookies
FWD down to F3 ...then Rookies .....but a lot of Rookies with DPP sitting in my mids as backup

Im taking a similar approach and loading up big in the midfield to start the year. With Covid interruptions throughout the year, I think getting in the big midfielders could become difficult as we are plugging gaps left right and centre. At least by starting with them (assuming they don’t have injury issues) they can somewhat carry the load when we may need to be carrying an extra rookie on field some weeks.

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Im taking a similar approach and loading up big in the midfield to start the year. With Covid interruptions throughout the year, I think getting in the big midfielders could become difficult as we are plugging gaps left right and centre. At least by starting with them (assuming they don’t have injury issues) they can somewhat carry the load when we may need to be carrying an extra rookie on field some weeks.
That’s actually a great call, and something I hadn’t considered. We’ll likely be without a good player or 2 most rounds probably, so best to have as many 110 averaging players as possible

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Solid as. What do you see ROB averaging?
Back half of last season he went at a 95 average. I think he can hit that which makes him nearly 10 unders. I think borderline 100 average is probably the top of what he can achieve. Started so poorly last year but came home a lot better. Still only 26 which is not even prime time for a ruck so I think he has potential improvement in him if I'm lucky. I don't see a clear standout R2 which makes it a lot easier to pick him. I'm high on Marshall but can't afford him. He should get forward DPP though at some point which means I can get him then. Foot injury still of slight concern with Marshall too. If Ryder were to go down this pre season then Marshall would be the biggest lock ever. I think Big O is a decent smokey too if I want to save a little coin

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
Currently rolling with this team. Absolutely not sold on Milera and unsure if there'll even be defence rookies at this stage but pretty happy with the rest

View attachment 1307175
Interesting team.

Very high risk/high reward IMHO as there are 7 players you have picked to take the next step.
Dawson, Clark, McInerney, Simpkin, Serong, Butters and Gresham!! That's a heap of punts and of those I'd only put $$ on Serong to be close to elite this year!

For reference, I currently have 3 in my team...Maynard, Hewitt and Draper.

I'm happy to burn a couple of trades to fix these, but you could burn 6!!!

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting team.

Very high risk/high reward IMHO as there are 7 players you have picked to take the next step.
Dawson, Clark, McInerney, Simpkin, Serong, Butters and Gresham!! That's a heap of punts and of those I'd only put $$ on Serong to be close to elite this year!

For reference, I currently have 3 in my team...Maynard, Hewitt and Draper.

I'm happy to burn a couple of trades to fix these, but you could burn 6!!!
This is how I roll every year. I semi pride myself on picking those breakout guys correctly and I also find it makes it very interesting. Last year I started with Cumming, Hind etc and it really kicked off my season. I was in the top 200 for most of the season until I fell away at the last couple of hurdles (every year this happens for * sake). Of those you listed these are my thoughts:

Dawson - will play wing at Adelaide and is 10 x the player Seedsman is. Seed went 96 last year. Hopefully Dawson can go to that next level but at worst should stay roughly the same level
Clark - I think he transitions to midfield meaning an 85+ average isn’t out of the realms of possibility. I’m also flirting with putting in Day in this spot due to his injury ravaged year last year and the fact he is quality. Just unsure on his role at the moment
McInerney - I have him in a keeper and his move to the backline did him wonders last year. From round 14 onwards he averaged 20 pos and lifted his fantasy average significantly. fourth year in the system and I think he can make the jump like other high quality players do in their third season generally
Simpkin - I’m extremely bullish on him to take that next step especially with no Cunnington
Serong - added responsibility and hopefully a kick up in time on ground
Butters - had a horrid year last year, surely improves on that and gets there mid time he deserves
Gresham - probably the diciest of the lot. Before his Achilles he played full time mid and scored very well. I think he might split it 50/50 mid forward now. Hard to say. I like saints early run which is why he is sitting there. High chance I change my mind. I like Nash as well but unsure if he’s cemented in hawks 22. If he is should get lots of inside mid time. Otherwise at that price I can try go up to someone like Heeney who also should see some wing time

High risk high reward is the name of the game baby 💁🏼‍♀️

The flip side is if half of them come off I’m well ahead on a few guys and even if I’m burning trades early on on the other half which didn’t come off, then technically round 1 and 2 are the right time to burn trades on things that need fixing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
This is how I roll every year. I semi pride myself on picking those breakout guys correctly and I also find it makes it very interesting. Last year I started with Cumming, Hind etc and it really kicked off my season. I was in the top 200 for most of the season until I fell away at the last couple of hurdles (every year this happens for fu** sake). Of those you listed these are my thoughts:

Dawson - will play wing at Adelaide and is 10 x the player Seedsman is. Seed went 96 last year. Hopefully Dawson can go to that next level but at worst should stay roughly the same level
Clark - I think he transitions to midfield meaning an 85+ average isn’t out of the realms of possibility. I’m also flirting with putting in Day in this spot due to his injury ravaged year last year and the fact he is quality. Just unsure on his role at the moment
McInerney - I have him in a keeper and his move to the backline did him wonders last year. From round 14 onwards he averaged 20 pos and lifted his fantasy average significantly. fourth year in the system and I think he can make the jump like other high quality players do in their third season generally
Simpkin - I’m extremely bullish on him to take that next step especially with no Cunnington
Serong - added responsibility and hopefully a kick up in time on ground
Butters - had a horrid year last year, surely improves on that and gets there mid time he deserves
Gresham - probably the diciest of the lot. Before his Achilles he played full time mid and scored very well. I think he might split it 50/50 mid forward now. Hard to say. I like saints early run which is why he is sitting there. High chance I change my mind. I like Nash as well but unsure if he’s cemented in hawks 22. If he is should get lots of inside mid time. Otherwise at that price I can try go up to someone like Heeney who also should see some wing time

High risk high reward is the name of the game baby 💁🏼‍♀️

The flip side is if half of them come off I’m well ahead on a few guys and even if I’m burning trades early on on the other half which didn’t come off, then technically round 1 and 2 are the right time to burn trades on things that need fixing
Just a few of my thoughts.....
Dawson is twice the player Seedsman is but he still has to share the HB/wing ball with Seedsman, Scholl and Smith, where as at Sydney he didn't have that competition. There is also no Lloyd type at Adelaide to feed him marks!
You have Gresh and Clark getting mid time.....who then doesn't out of Crouch, Steele, Hanners, Byrnes, Hill, Jones, Ross and Billings?! Again, a lot of mouths to feed!
Simpkin - I have no doubt will step it up a but he still only averaged 85 odd without Cunnington after rd 19 last year. Plus Greenwood comes in and other young mids will get plenty of time. I have him pegged as a 100-105 career guy who will have big games but too many sub 80 scores to be elite.
McInerney - great player and will get better, but at his price he needs to basically become a top 10 defender to pay off. If I'm taking apunt on mid price defenders, I'd rather they get midfield clock. My worry with McIrneney is that with an injury or 2, he could be playing lock down roles.

Serong and Butters I'm keen on, Serong more so. Butters will be a bit more of a slow burn I think, more like 5-10 points a year increase. But again, at his price he needs to be a top 6 fwd to really pay off.

I also got it right with Cumming and Hind last year, but 2-3 other $400-$600K players cost me big time, hence why I will be trying to limit my risks from round 1 this year
For example, Rowell and Witts will be in over %40 of teams this year but I'm keen to fade them both as they both have more risk than upside I<MHO

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
The other interesting thing to note, is how rarely 2 players from the same team end up in the top 10 defenders at years end!

Hall and Ziebell were a slight anomaly last year due to the ridiculous game plan, Howe and Crisp may have done it, but I can't think of many others!!

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just a few of my thoughts.....
Dawson is twice the player Seedsman is but he still has to share the HB/wing ball with Seedsman, Scholl and Smith, where as at Sydney he didn't have that competition. There is also no Lloyd type at Adelaide to feed him marks!
You have Gresh and Clark getting mid time.....who then doesn't out of Crouch, Steele, Hanners, Byrnes, Hill, Jones, Ross and Billings?! Again, a lot of mouths to feed!
Simpkin - I have no doubt will step it up a but he still only averaged 85 odd without Cunnington after rd 19 last year. Plus Greenwood comes in and other young mids will get plenty of time. I have him pegged as a 100-105 career guy who will have big games but too many sub 80 scores to be elite.
McInerney - great player and will get better, but at his price he needs to basically become a top 10 defender to pay off. If I'm taking apunt on mid price defenders, I'd rather they get midfield clock. My worry with McIrneney is that with an injury or 2, he could be playing lock down roles.

Serong and Butters I'm keen on, Serong more so. Butters will be a bit more of a slow burn I think, more like 5-10 points a year increase. But again, at his price he needs to be a top 6 fwd to really pay off.

I also got it right with Cumming and Hind last year, but 2-3 other $400-$600K players cost me big time, hence why I will be trying to limit my risks from round 1 this year
For example, Rowell and Witts will be in over %40 of teams this year but I'm keen to fade them both as they both have more risk than upside I<MHO
You could argue the flipside with Dawson in that Sholl isn’t much chop currently, Smith is another year older and won’t do a great deal, meaning there’s lots of ball up for grabs. Hard to know for certain right now but it’s a pre season watch either way with his role and the whole crowd defence mid set up.

Saints are going to be interesting too. Literally all those players were at the club when Gresh played full time midfield early last year and the back end the previous year (before his bad injury, doesn’t include Brouch though) and yet he still played pure mid. You could also argue that guys like Billings and Ross have fallen out of favour and have nowhere near the midfield time they once had. Hanners will no doubt be injured in due course as well. Hill playing wing / half back. I still think there is plenty of time available in that saints midfield and Gresh adds X factor for them. I think him and Clark take big steps this year for the saints. They’re both coming into that prime age where things happen.

Simpkin actually averaged 99 post round 19 last year which includes a 49 where he tweaked an ankle early and got tagged out of the game. Averaged 105 post bye last year. Has a fantasy game about him.

I agree on McInerny. He’s a risky pick but he passes the eye test for me. He could easily be switched to a Day, Bowes etc who should both see midfield time.

I think Serong and Butters will find themselves in plenty of teams this year. Seem like no brainers

Im not entirely sure I subscribe to the whole ‘not starting someone if they won’t be top 6/8 in their position’. I think in other fantasy games (SuperCoach and RDT) it’s a necessity but not as important in fantasy. For me, as long as you can find guys who improve enough then that goes a long way to vying for a high rank. You no doubt have to start a portion of top guys though but it’s about finding that balance.

I agree on Witts. Big men after knees no thank you! Rowell I honestly have no clue on. Could go bang. Could he be a perennial 80ish guy? Really hard to know. Fading the right guys goes a long way to climbing those ranks early but choosing the right blokes to do that with is so hard

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The other interesting thing to note, is how rarely 2 players from the same team end up in the top 10 defenders at years end!

Hall and Ziebell were a slight anomaly last year due to the ridiculous game plan, Howe and Crisp may have done it, but I can't think of many others!!
So what you’re saying is Lloyd and Mcinerny aren’t in with much chance ;)

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
So what you’re saying is Lloyd and Mcinerny aren’t in with much chance ;)
Something like that!!

But it's also the same with...
Scicily, Day, Scrimshaw, Hardwick and CJ
Hind, Heppell and Ridley
Salem, May and Lever
Also with Brisbane, Rich really hit his scores once Birchall retired and could once again suffer if Coleman plays HBF
Hayes suffered once Cumming and Ash got more ball

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
(On Total Points)
2021 - Ziebell and Hall
2020 - Crisp and Maynard
2019 - None
2018 - Tuohy and Stewart
2017 - Howe and Crisp
2016 - Howe and Crisp

Wouldn't exactly call it rare when its happened 5 out of 6 times.

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
(On Total Points)
2021 - Ziebell and Hall
2020 - Crisp and Maynard
2019 - None
2018 - Tuohy and Stewart
2017 - Howe and Crisp
2016 - Howe and Crisp

Wouldn't exactly call it rare when its happened 5 out of 6 times.
That's actually 5 out of 108 individual team years across 6 seasons = rare!!!

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
V3.0 - complete guns and rookies, with a few cheap mid-pricers to round things out:

DEF: A. Hall, J. Lloyd, Whitfield, Bowes, Bowey, McDonagh

MID: Steele, Titch, J. Kelly, L. Neale, Rowell, JHF, N. Daicos, G. Clark

RUCK: Grundy, Preuss

FWD: Duncan, Dunkley, Butters, Heeney, W. Rioli, Hollands

Eight 190K rooks on the bench, with 2K remaining

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
View attachment 1307709

This is the first year I'm doing Fantasy with a goal beyond "make a viable team with a fun theme".
Who are your guaranteed Vice Capt and Capt options .....need at least 5 players you can count on

Rozee is a low possession player :crossmark:
Rachelle, likewise :crossmark:

You have too many $250K - $400K players ......it's taking away from your ability to have the SP's you need

Pick 2 of your M6-M8 Rookies .....toss one

Will Jake Bowery be primarily a small fwd ? :crossmark: .....not great value IMO

IMO most who pick Neale will have him as their M4 ......M2 is too high

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who are your guaranteed Vice Capt and Capt options .....need at least 5 players you can count on

Rozee is a low possession player :crossmark:
Rachelle, likewise :crossmark:

You have too many $250K - $400K players ......it's taking away from your ability to have the SP's you need

Pick 2 of your M6-M8 Rookies .....toss one

Will Jake Bowery be primarily a small fwd ? :crossmark: .....not great value IMO

IMO most who pick Neale will have him as their M4 ......M2 is too high

Macrae and Darcy, wih Daniel and Dunkley in the wings. Was considering ditching Macrae for Steele.

Bowey finished the year in great form as a defender and I'm thinking he'll only improve this year.

How much does the order matter?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Macrae and Darcy, wih Daniel and Dunkley in the wings. Was considering ditching Macrae for Steele.

Bowey finished the year in great form as a defender and I'm thinking he'll only improve this year.

How much does the order matter?
Bowey a HUGE risk .....great form didn't equate to great Fantasy scoring .....in fact it's poor rookie level scoring

1641627923551.png

Try and get both Steele and Macrae

At the end of the day, you have 3 objectives with your starting team:

1. Reliable Capt and VC options

2. A team that will score you maximum points ....sound obvious, but many fail to calculate this .....rookies can score as well as your mid-pricers .....don't gamble on who you think will improve, use statistical data to support your opinions

3. How many trades will you need to complete your team ? .....allow for Covid & Concussions this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back