Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Which will make for some interesting decisions regarding the midfield structure.

JHF, Daicos seem locks. Ward close behind if he gets named.

JHF may get the flick I reckon if enough $190k names bob up to fill out the bench. $100k extra fielding Clark over JHF.
North seem to have quite a few potential high scorers in Hall, Simpkin, Thomas so definitely considering giving JHF a miss. Have FOMO though lol

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
North seem to have quite a few potential high scorers in Hall, Simpkin, Thomas so definitely considering giving JHF a miss. Have FOMO though lol

I really dont have that fomo atm. I'm actually itching to get rid of him.

$290k is huge as a start price. How many rookies do we get through the year that start at base salary and don't even make it to +$100k made?

Imagine if JHF gets plonked in a forward pocket (highly likely) and scores 20-40's. It's alot of cash doing not alot.

But I guess it all boils down to what that $100k could do for you.

For me it turns Treloar into Duncan if I'd prefer that.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat

$290k is huge as a start price. How many rookies do we get through the year that start at base salary and don't even make it to +$100k made?

Imagine if JHF gets plonked in a forward pocket (highly likely) and scores 20-40's. It's alot of cash doing not alot.

For me it probably gets me from Curnow to Gresham if I trade Sinn down as well.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

JHF will not be getting plonked in a forward pocket. He's not a small forward and Noble has any intention of playing him like one. Paul Curtis far more likely to be that if they play a rookie.

Far more likely he actually transitions into more midfield time as opposed to deeper forward from what I've seen in training.

His role is very much a rolling up half forward/wing into the stoppages through the arcs like Zak Butters.

Milo Cyrus

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
JHF will not be getting plonked in a forward pocket. He's not a small forward and Noble has any intention of playing him like one. Paul Curtis far more likely to be that if they play a rookie.

Far more likely he actually transitions into more midfield time as opposed to deeper forward from what I've seen in training.

His role is very much a rolling up half forward/wing into the stoppages through the arcs like Zak Butters.
My guess is JHF will get Will Phillips' role of last year and Will Phillips goes into the mid rotations in Cunnington's spot. At 366k M/F I reckon W Phillips is a steal. 3% ownership currently.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My guess is JHF will get Will Phillips' role of last year and Will Phillips goes into the mid rotations in Cunnington's spot. At 366k M/F I reckon W Phillips is a steal. 3% ownership currently.

Nah, not really.

Phillips played a heap as the sub then probably played 60/40 mid/fwd.

JHF will probably be the starting half forward along with Stephenson and plays 70/30 fwd/mid according to Noble.

Phillips tended to almost play a forward pocket role when forward, JHF is playing a lot higher in training and is one of the main creative outlets delivering it inside 50.

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
JHF has been penciled in for a 70/30 FWD/MID split. I am not keen on him at 290k. Currently have Rowell, Daicos, Clark M6-8.

Mar 13, 2006
Perth Central
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NY Giants, UM Wolverines
Personally I've never had JHF even with the millions of chopping and changing I've done.

I know it's not a completely fair comparison/scenario but I just get the Cam Rayner hunch with him. It's also the strictly M position that kills it for me.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
People that keep questioning the JHF selection are forgetting the main part - he'll get forward status in Round 6, where there looks to be a dearth of rookies at this stage. It's not about his scoring, as much as it is about the fact that his DPP will allow you to plan for a free spot in the mids, and simultaneously hide what will likely be a 55-65 average in your forward pocket - who will play every game.

It then means you can say pick someone you know might have a good starting price (like Hollands), on field - and then transition him to the bench and open up a spot in your midfield come Round 6. It's the same thing that made Powell and Gulden so valuable last year (and why people were able to hold onto them for so long).

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
People that keep questioning the JHF selection are forgetting the main part - he'll get forward status in Round 6, where there looks to be a dearth of rookies at this stage. It's not about his scoring, as much as it is about the fact that his DPP will allow you to plan for a free spot in the mids, and simultaneously hide what will likely be a 55-65 average in your forward pocket - who will play every game.

It then means you can say pick someone you know might have a good starting price (like Hollands), on field - and then transition him to the bench and open up a spot in your midfield come Round 6. It's the same thing that made Powell and Gulden so valuable last year (and why people were able to hold onto them for so long).

DPP is nice, but the thing is if he starts at $290k and scores poorly, then we'll be cutting him by round 6 anyway.

By the time our rookies hit $300k+ it only takes 1 poor score to flatten their price rises for a few weeks. Which alot of the time means we hit the eject button.

JHF probably needs to average 70-80 to make as much as any $190k pumping out 60's.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
DPP is nice, but the thing is if he starts at $290k and scores poorly, then we'll be cutting him by round 6 anyway.

By the time our rookies hit $300k+ it only takes 1 poor score to flatten their price rises for a few weeks. Which alot of the time means we hit the eject button.

JHF probably needs to average 70-80 to make as much as any $190k pumping out 60's.

Don't underestimate JS either. Some of the best rookies I chose last year saved my ass alot of times, due to them being 'safe' choices.

The thing that screwed me up the most was continually wasting trades on 170K players who played a game or two - and then got dropped never to be seen again

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Don't underestimate JS either. Some of the best rookies I chose last year saved my ass alot of times, due to them being 'safe' choices.

The thing that screwed me up the most was continually wasting trades on 170K players who played a game or two - and then got dropped never to be seen again

Yeah but too be fair those 170k rookies were when we were absolutely dry on cows and needed to upgrade a position.

Ronin O’Connor for example, bring that guy in and you could of gone a Gulden to Hall, pretty quickly

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The thing with JHF is he will likely be spending a great deal of time forward so you'd imagine in the games where North get demoralised he's going to struggle to score. Has all the tools for sure but is playing for a bottom 4 team as a forward with maybe a 75/25 split in the mids. I think if someone like Ward gets named I'll opt for him instead as he should play midfield / wing

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Somewhat flying under the radar but with a physique like this and the fact the Giants went for him hardwith a first rounder, surely Aleer plays plenty of games down back as an interceptor.

Look at that core strength!

9F8319A3-B1EB-4C81-BE40-044979A57B47.jpeg

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Somewhat flying under the radar but with a physique like this and the fact the Giants went for him hardwith a first rounder, surely Aleer plays plenty of games down back as an interceptor.

Look at that core strength!

View attachment 1317628
Didn't he average something like 9 possies in the SANFL last season?

Didn't he average something like 9 possies in the SANFL last season?
  • Kicks. 6.1.
  • Handballs. 2.8.
  • Marks. 4.4.
  • Tackles. 2.5.
  • Clearances. 0.1.
  • Inside 50s. 0.7.
  • Rebound 50s. 1.6.
  • Dreamteam Points. 46.7.
Avoid like the plague, looks more lockdown then intercept

JADED

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
SA
AFL Club
West Coast

Seen Luke Valente on a few benches, needs replacing

Wow, fantasy numbers as a junior were tops.
Feel for him, moving half way across the country to never get a game, and it's your body failing the rigours.

Similar story for Aaron Nietschke, also a South Aussie from the same draft. Gun junior, injuries, never debuted.

Both were top 5 fantasy scorers in their draft year.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
  • Kicks. 6.1.
  • Handballs. 2.8.
  • Marks. 4.4.
  • Tackles. 2.5.
  • Clearances. 0.1.
  • Inside 50s. 0.7.
  • Rebound 50s. 1.6.
  • Dreamteam Points. 46.7.
Avoid like the plague, looks more lockdown then intercept
Aleer is a spoiler .....one of the best leaps to punch the ball .....disposal is iffy at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back