2022 Federal Election - How will you vote?

How will you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

just wear your "do you want a conversation about jesus?" tshirt, and everyone will ignore you
raf,750x1000,075,t,000000:44f0b734a5.u3.jpg

Is my election shirt

“It is an ongoing concern that one in two Australians believe that when voting 1-6 in the Senate, that 6 ought to be beside the party you dislike more than any other, rather than your 6th most preferred choice,” said Ben Oquist, executive director of the Australia Institute.

Put simply, to actually ‘put a party last’ on the ballot, voters must number all the boxes above the line in the order of their choice, not just six."

A tie dyed Grateful Dead tshirt usually gets you a wide berth from certain parties.

not franga, you will get people asking if youre carrying anything that you can spare

Have voted several times using each method, just "borrowed" the details of unsuspecting extended family, work colleagues, etc who reside in the seat of Ballarat with me... :)

Nah, not really. I'm a stickler for enjoying the whole electoral experience, so will vote on the day as usual.

Ballarat is a fait accompli for ALP anyway, Catherine King had 2PP over 60% last time.

Our other candidates:
  • a Greens former mayor who seems a genuine alternative, but realistically his preferences from a small vote will almost exclusively flow to King
  • a ON candidate who ran in South Brisbane last time (!), and allegedly has family connections to Ballarat, but no photo on any electoral material for ON (surprise!)
  • a self-described Trump fan running for UAP whose focus is "freedumb" and direct quote from her "bringing back jobs in coal"
  • a Lib (lawyer) who is the son of Jim Cairns' former press secretary :(and gives off a strong arrogance vibe
  • an AFP candidate also all about "freedumbs"
  • a LibDem (lawyer) with questionable and shallow ideas
  • an independent having a third go at the seat across 24 years with only a single banking pie-in-the-sky policy that he has written a book about and will solve the country's financial dependence on banks :laughing:

So I can confidently number 1 and 2, then throw a blanket over the remaining 6 for numbers 3-8. Might have to be the least-nutty Ind and Lib at 3 and 4, so I can keep all the full-blown nutters in the bottom half. What a choice!

At least there is more genuine choice in the Senate!

On the day, hoping the snags are not burnt to a crisp, actually had to look this morning to see what electorate i'm in and where i can vote. I am in Lalor, i suppose i should look and see who is running. Below is what i have to choose from, i know nothing about them, very little advertising in the mail or around my area.

View attachment 1403459
Same..but at least I know the current sitting member!

Have voted several times using each method, just "borrowed" the details of unsuspecting extended family, work colleagues, etc who reside in the seat of Ballarat with me... :)

Nah, not really. I'm a stickler for enjoying the whole electoral experience, so will vote on the day as usual.

Ballarat is a fait accompli for ALP anyway, Catherine King had 2PP over 60% last time.

Our other candidates:
  • a Greens former mayor who seems a genuine alternative, but realistically his preferences from a small vote will almost exclusively flow to King
  • a ON candidate who ran in South Brisbane last time (!), and allegedly has family connections to Ballarat, but no photo on any electoral material for ON (surprise!)
  • a self-described Trump fan running for UAP whose focus is "freedumb" and direct quote from her "bringing back jobs in coal"
  • a Lib (lawyer) who is the son of Jim Cairns' former press secretary :(and gives off a strong arrogance vibe
  • an AFP candidate also all about "freedumbs"
  • a LibDem (lawyer) with questionable and shallow ideas
  • an independent having a third go at the seat across 24 years with only a single banking pie-in-the-sky policy that he has written a book about and will solve the country's financial dependence on banks :laughing:

So I can confidently number 1 and 2, then throw a blanket over the remaining 6 for numbers 3-8. Might have to be the least-nutty Ind and Lib at 3 and 4, so I can keep all the full-blown nutters in the bottom half. What a choice!

At least there is more genuine choice in the Senate!
So, change of plan. Was out and about in Ballarat CBD tonight, so popped into the Showgrounds as pre-poll is open until 8pm. While waiting in the queue, had a chat to John Barnes, the Greens candidate and one of his volunteers, and after voting, happened to be walking past (ALP) incumbent Catherine King, so had a chat to her too, mainly regarding some boundary re-alignments that saw us moved into the Wannon electoral boundary in 2019 (nearly 200kms from Hamilton and Warrnambool!), but moved back into Ballarat this year.

As I walked away back to my car, I thought "how good is Australian democracy, where you can just stop and chat to two candidates (one a sitting federal MHR) in semi-darkness, with many people wandering past, or handing out their own party HTVs?"

Not something so easily contemplated in the Philippines, the US, or even in recent years the UK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday's are terrible for me

Work 6-11am, then a good chance I umpire from 12-5
Too tight to vote in that period

So I did a postal vote for the first time

Next minute - Im only umpiring from 2-5 (Not doing a double header) so I could have voted in person on the day

next minute - Get covid so am in isolation on the day - so good thing I already did a postal vote.

Back