2022 Federal Election Watch - Part 2 the count

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greens very rarely vote against the ALP

People focus on the dud ETS, but that was a rarity

In effect the ALP have a huge majority in the House

Sort of like the Libs who rarely vote against the Nats. ;)

But that subservient position has finally backfired badly on the Libs.

I think the teals campaigned under icac and climate action.

I dont think they will have a problem with kowtowing…. Their aims will align

Yes in those two aims they will to a great extent.

It'll be interesting with any tax change initiatives, corporate welfare cuts & the like.

They mightn't like their investment portfolios threatened. ;)

I'm hoping for a Labor minority government. It'd be full of drama.

Considering the left wing nature of a fair portion of the cross bench and the change in leadership spill rules to make it very difficult to remove a sitting PM, I think it is unlikely an Albanese minority government would be 'full of drama'.

Even the Gillard minority government managed to get a lot of things done (iirc the amount of legislation passed every year exceeded Rudd and Abbott when they had significant House of Representatives majorities).

Considering the left wing nature of a fair portion of the cross bench and the change in leadership spill rules to make it very difficult to remove a sitting PM, I think it is unlikely an Albanese minority government would be 'full of drama'.

Even the Gillard minority government managed to get a lot of things done (iirc the amount of legislation passed every year exceeded Rudd and Abbott when they had significant House of Representatives majorities).
Most of it organised and negotiated by Albanese as Leader of the House

At least the interests of the Taylor family will continue to be well represented.

Rupert got behind biden?
giphy.gif

there is perhaps a distinction between passing legislation and getting stuff done

the cross bench forced the Gillard government to bastardise a lot of their platform, which resulted in a bunch of fairly jumbled and half-arsed policy that it was fairly easily for Abbott to make a case for scrapping

Certainly they didn’t get very close to realising the vision they laid out at the 2010 election, regardless of the number of bills they passed (although I must say, New England ended up with some beautiful highways)

First port of call for the government should be offshore wind farms.

Australia does not have an operating offshore wind farm, or even one under construction. But there are at least 12 different proposals in the pipeline, totalling more than 25GW, all looking for opportunities created by the retirement of coal generators and the emerging green hydrogen technology.

From what I've heard Antony Albinese was a big part holding together the cross benches in the Gillard government so I don't see too many problems for this government to get its agenda past parliament.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

First port of call for the government should be offshore wind farms.

Australia does not have an operating offshore wind farm, or even one under construction. But there are at least 12 different proposals in the pipeline, totalling more than 25GW, all looking for opportunities created by the retirement of coal generators and the emerging green hydrogen technology.
We aren't exactly bereft of space or wind load to build them onshore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albo must have a majority led Labor Government or his time in office will be a frustrating one, the last thing this nation needs is a PM kowtowing to the teals and the mad and irrational Greens. It might've been "Independents Day" but we don't need Albo ending up flying into an impenetrable force field?
Not so sure, he has to work with them in the Senate anyway so why not in the lower house as well. Government works best when it’s bipartisan, a feature unseen for far too long, but ironically highlighted by the change in laws post Port Arthur. We are headed towards more of this not less so we might as well start now.

We aren't exactly bereft of space or wind load to build them onshore
True but according to this 'Offshore wind farms generate electricity from wind blowing across the sea. They are considered more efficient than onshore wind farms, thanks to the higher speed of winds, greater consistency and lack of physical interference that the land or human-made objects can present.'

At least the interests of the Taylor family will continue to be well represented.
Could be fun, Leader and Deputy, out by ICAC.....

I think the teals campaigned under icac and climate action.

I dont think they will have a problem with kowtowing…. Their aims will align
Isnt it really as simple as the 2030 policy with Albo at 43%, teals at 60%. Greens 75%.

'Labor announced its target of cutting Australian emissions 43% by 2030 from a 2005 baseline in its Powering Australia plan, which was released at the end of 2021.

This will now be submitted to the UN as Australia’s new nationally determined contribution (NDC) under the Paris Agreement. Labor says it will also set the nation on a course for net-zero emissions by 2050.
The target is less ambitious than the one proposed by the party in both the 2016 and 2019 elections, when it suggested a 45% cut in the same timeframe.
Nevertheless, it is a marked improvement on the Coalition’s target of a 26-28% emissions reduction. This is less than the 30% cut that would be expected to take place in Australia with no additional action taken, according to analysis commissioned by Labor.
Australia had originally submitted this target in 2015. Later, the Morrison government refused to increase it despite international pressure in the run-up to COP26.
Commentators noted that while Labor’s new target is roughly comparable to the ones set by Japan and Canada, it is not as ambitious as those of the EU, the UK or the US.

In contrast, the 2030 targets set out by the Greens – a 75% cut – and the teal independents – a 60% cut.'

Someone has to compromise & the ALP is unlikely to turn its back on those for them.

True but according to this 'Offshore wind farms generate electricity from wind blowing across the sea. They are considered more efficient than onshore wind farms, thanks to the higher speed of winds, greater consistency and lack of physical interference that the land or human-made objects can present.'
More costly and more scope for damaging sensitive environments with them.

The AEC has just released an updated 3CP count which now has the Liberals in front, followed by Labor and the Greens:

We know the Liberals won't win, only issue is whether Hodgins-May can close the gap on Burns. I think Burns will hang on, but Antony Green was right not to call it, once again showing why he is the best in the business.
The maths suggest the micro party preferences are going
46.97% Liberal
35.43% Greens
17.61% Labor

on my morning walk in macnamara bumped into a local labor die hard party member/volunteer (quite a few around here)

he reckons labor might have lost macnamara, seems devastated

never would have thought my electorate would decide a government majority before, it always has been declared labor within hours after an election

i must be missing something, surely labor will win macnamara?
they'll win

Greens claim Brisbane.
So ON, UAP, AJP and LD together with their 7.1% of votes that didn't preference Liberal had more preferences to Greens than Labor by 0.7 percentage points?

Someone please explain that to me.
The AJP candidate told people not to follow her own HTV and put the Greens before Labor. You see, Labor had made a deal with the AJP to preference Labor ahead of the Greens in every potential Labor-Greens contest in return for a promise to end live sheep export. But once HTVs had been printed, Albanese publicly U-turned on the policy. The AJP got taken for a ride. Well done to the candidate for not meekly accepting that betrayal.

I don't know who Rob Stott is, but he is a mongrel and needs to get the Press C*nt of the year award. Perhaps BF could have a yearly award for the worst of the press, like Moffra's spuds of the year list. My suggestion would be to call it the 'Cunny'.
Stott doesn't work for the Australian and it wasn't his photo. In fact his tweet was praising Albo by calling him the ideal PM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back