2022 Federal Election Watch - Part 2 the count

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we know poor people are doing it tough and those on welfare are struggling the most but we can't commit to raising payments

Funny how they can comit to tax cuts for the wealthy, pay rises for themselves, hundreds of millions to the French oh and going after those hardest hit poor people to pay back money
The Rushworth sentiments read kinda like a more verbose way of saying "thoughts and prayers". Like damn that sucks, we're not actually planning on doing anything about it though.

The new social services minister, Amanda Rishworth, has acknowledged the financial situation for the “most vulnerable” Australians is “not improving” and conceded those in poverty have been hit hardest by the cost of living crisis.
3ar9.gif

Speaking to Guardian Australia, she insisted she “can’t commit” to increasing support for those on fixed incomes, such as below-the-poverty-line jobseeker and other welfare payments.
mcmahon-ear.gif

Apparently he's having a sook, claims he lost his seat because people are discriminating against conservatives lol

You know how i always say they've got GLASS-JAWS ??.....
Seemingly forgetting that he was in power for decades despite having a legit Nazi in the attic.

Seems pretty damn TOLERANT of us if you ask me.

On the topic of Robodebt, never forget that the former government gave a huge multi-million dollar contract to operate Centrelink call centres to the company responsible for what was essentially UK robodebt.

I've read it, what do you think this means?
It means exactly what it says.

First you wrote "Good to see labor saying the coalition were too soft on debt collection from welfare recipients....."
Which is simply just your personal rant.
No such words or sentiments are in the actual press release

Next you wrote "They're going to start debt collecting against poor people for the former governments mistakes"

Which is partially true, in that the former Government cutting staff resulting in making the mistakes, but the rest is inaccurate and again your rant.
The Labor Government is notifying the taxpayer of the problem left by the former government and laying out how they intend to fix the problem, and yes, recover the overpayments caused by the former government. No mention of "debt collection".

When quoted in full and read in context it is pretty clear.

“The former Government—the architects of the Robodebt Scheme—cut staff in our key service delivery agencies, which has led to mistakes like this being made,” Minister Shorten said.

“It has also meant that the agency has been unable to undertake compliance activities, meaning welfare debts have remained unchecked for years.

We have a responsibility to take steps to recover debts owing and therefore efforts to recover existing debts will need to recommence. Importantly, it is possible for people with debts owing to enter into payment arrangements with Services Australia.

What is clear is that the process will not be done by an algorithm and no-one will be driven to suicide as under the Liberals.
#icacnow #robodebtmurderersabbottmorrison

I reckon the payment arrangements will be pretty generous. Wait and see.
I reckon telling people below the poverty line that you're going to offer them flexible payment plans during an affordability crisis is ****ed and I have no interest in waiting to see how ****ed

It means exactly what it says.

First you wrote "Good to see labor saying the coalition were too soft on debt collection from welfare recipients....."
Which is simply just your personal rant.
No such words or sentiments are in the actual press release

Next you wrote "They're going to start debt collecting against poor people for the former governments mistakes"

Which is partially true, in that the former Government cutting staff resulting in making the mistakes, but the rest is inaccurate and again your rant.
The Labor Government is notifying the taxpayer of the problem left by the former government and laying out how they intend to fix the problem, and yes, recover the overpayments caused by the former government. No mention of "debt collection".

When quoted in full and read in context it is pretty clear.

“The former Government—the architects of the Robodebt Scheme—cut staff in our key service delivery agencies, which has led to mistakes like this being made,” Minister Shorten said.

“It has also meant that the agency has been unable to undertake compliance activities, meaning welfare debts have remained unchecked for years.

We have a responsibility to take steps to recover debts owing and therefore efforts to recover existing debts will need to recommence. Importantly, it is possible for people with debts owing to enter into payment arrangements with Services Australia.

What is clear is that the process will not be done by an algorithm and no-one will be driven to suicide as under the Liberals.
#icacnow #robodebtmurderersabbottmorrison
Keep defending the campaignery behaviour
They're trying to blame the coalition for their choice to debt collect.
Its their choice, they could choose to not be campaigners

Where exactly do you stand on Robodebt Gralin.
I think it was deplorable, it's also not fully removed and it was Shorten that started the ball rolling under Gillard last time.

I reckon telling people below the poverty line that you're going to offer them flexible payment plans during an affordability crisis is ducked and I have no interest in waiting to see how ducked

I think it was deplorable, it's also not fully removed and it was Shorten that started the ball rolling under Gillard last time.
Are you looking for them to sets threshold below which repayment should not occur (eg if the government ****ed up you are forgiven up to $5 k a year of overpaid benefits?) could be cheaper than trying to administer a repayment scheme for small amounts.

Are you looking for them to sets threshold below which repayment should not occur (eg if the government ducked up you are forgiven up to $5 k a year of overpaid benefits?) could be cheaper than trying to administer a repayment scheme for small amounts.
I think they should forgive it all.

I think they should immediately raise all payments to the poverty line as a minimum

Abolish mutual obligations
Abolish work for the dole

They're also going ahead with the new points based system which is punitive and materially worse than what we currently have, this shouldn't be done either

Our welfare system should actually be there to help people, not what we have currently

I think they should forgive it all.

I think they should immediately raise all payments to the poverty line as a minimum

Abolish mutual obligations
Abolish work for the dole

They're also going ahead with the new points based system which is punitive and materially worse than what we currently have, this shouldn't be done either

Our welfare system should actually be there to help people, not what we have currently
We have no money to do this. It’s all been wasted on dead end defence projects and stage 3 tax cuts.
That and the prejudice that still exists against those on welfare

I reckon telling people below the poverty line that you're going to offer them flexible payment plans during an affordability crisis is ducked and I have no interest in waiting to see how ducked

Last thing first.

I agree.
Robodebt is deplorable, heads should roll of those who conceived it and implemented it.

Debt recovery legislation was initially mooted by Shorten. Labor had nothing whatsoever to do with Robodebt.
The acted in a similarly ideological driven and heartless way with Medibank/Care
Medibank was conceived and implemented by Labor.
It was semi-privatised by Libs(the profitable part) and then the social welfare part was raped by the Libs.

First part.
I am not defending anyone in any way. There is nothing to defend until we see how Labor actually handle the issue.
I responded to your misrepresentation of the press release.

Second part.
Lets see how it plays out before assuming Labor will not treat this issue totally fairly.
I agree it is an issue that should not result in unfair financial pressure being placed on the most vulnerable.

Last thing first.

I agree.
Robodebt is deplorable, heads should roll of those who conceived it and implemented it.

Debt recovery legislation was initially mooted by Shorten. Labor had nothing whatsoever to do with Robodebt.
The acted in a similarly ideological driven and heartless way with Medibank/Care
Medibank was conceived and implemented by Labor.
It was semi-privatised by Libs(the profitable part) and then the social welfare part was raped by the Libs.

First part.
I am not defending anyone in any way. There is nothing to defend until we see how Labor actually handle the issue.
I responded to your misrepresentation of the press release.

Second part.
Lets see how it plays out before assuming Labor will not treat this issue totally fairly.
I agree it is an issue that should not result in unfair financial pressure being placed on the most vulnerable.
Again labor cut welfare when last in power and laid the groundwork for Robodebt

They've shown for a long time they don't care about people on welfare.

They won't raise payments but they will go after debts.

Apparently it doesn't matter to them that this will kill people, seems to not matter yo you.

How anyone can think there is anyway this can be done fairly for the people being impacted is beyond me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again labor cut welfare when last in power and laid the groundwork for Robodebt

They've shown for a long time they don't care about people on welfare.

They won't raise payments but they will go after debts.

Apparently it doesn't matter to them that this will kill people, seems to not matter yo you.

How anyone can think there is anyway this can be done fairly for the people being impacted is beyond me
Lets see what plays out over the next few months.
Labor have been systematically ticking boxes and reversing many Liberal landmines and I reckon there are literally hundreds to go.
These are big ticket issues and I would not expect them to be attempted without a sound platform to base them on.

What that means is the Coalition left a house that has been trashed.

Broken dishes everywhere, no curtains, power is faulty, no gas, the sewer is full of the left overs from the last landlord, it is structurally unsound and inhabited by an Old campaigner who owns a newspaper.
Let's fix the house first and then we can start letting the owners back in out of the cold.

I find it hard to disagree with you.

Hopefully they will forgive smaller amounts and be lenient on bigger amounts.

The Labor party is the party of labour. They aren't a friend of the unemployed.

I find it hard to disagree with you.

Hopefully they will forgive smaller amounts and be lenient on bigger amounts.

The Labor party is the party of labour. They aren't a friend of the unemployed.
No they are not

Lets see what plays out over the next few months.
Labor have been systematically ticking boxes and reversing many Liberal landmines and I reckon there are literally hundreds to go.
These are big ticket issues and I would not expect them to be attempted without a sound platform to base them on.

What that means is the Coalition left a house that has been trashed.

Broken dishes everywhere, no curtains, power is faulty, no gas, the sewer is full of the left overs from the last landlord, it is structurally unsound and inhabited by an Old campaigner who owns a newspaper.
Let's fix the house first and then we can start letting the owners back in out of the cold.
Very long winded way of saying you see no real problem with Labor targeting poor people

On the topic of Robodebt, never forget that the former government gave a huge multi-million dollar contract to operate Centrelink call centres to the company responsible for what was essentially UK robodebt.

God save the queen…….

Under-55s and higher educated voters propelled Labor to victory, study finds

Young voters were slightly more likely to have voted for Labor and substantially more likely to have voted for the Greens.

The largest aggregate flow between April and May 2022 was from Labor to the Greens, with 4% of all voters switching their vote from the centre-left party to the minor party.

That late surge appears to have helped the Greens pick up three seats, including Labor-held Griffith and Liberal-held Ryan and Brisbane.

Young voters were slightly more likely to have voted for Labor and substantially more likely to have voted for the Greens.

The largest aggregate flow between April and May 2022 was from Labor to the Greens, with 4% of all voters switching their vote from the centre-left party to the minor party.

That late surge appears to have helped the Greens pick up three seats, including Labor-held Griffith and Liberal-held Ryan and Brisbane.

The Guardian, aligned with the far right of the Centre-Right ALP, persists in misdescribing the ALP as centre-left.

Cute.

So in a generations time, alp could be the main centre right party and greens the main centre left?

No wonder the coalition hate widespread tertiary education

It looks like (unfortunately) the United Australia Party will pick up a Senate seat as the sixth one elected in Victoria (this despite only having 0.28 quotas or 4% of the vote during the election).

(Fortunately) it won't make much of a difference for this term of Parliament, as with the ALP's 26 and Greens 12 they only need 1 of David Pocock or 2 of Jacqui Lambie to get legislation through.

Final composition of Senate
LNP: 32
ALP: 26
Greens: 12
ON: 2
JLN: 2
UAP: 1
David Pocock: 1

Importantly, in 2025 17 of the LNP but only 11 of the ALP's Senators will be up for reelection which makes the right wing crossbench seem more impotent.

It looks like (unfortunately) the United Australia Party will pick up a Senate seat as the sixth one elected in Victoria (this despite only having 0.28 quotas or 4% of the vote during the election).

(Fortunately) it won't make much of a difference for this term of Parliament, as with the ALP's 26 and Greens 12 they only need 1 of David Pocock or 2 of Jacqui Lambie to get legislation through.

Final composition of Senate
LNP: 32
ALP: 26
Greens: 12
ON: 2
JLN: 2
UAP: 1
David Pocock: 1

Importantly, in 2025 17 of the LNP but only 11 of the ALP's Senators will be up for reelection which makes the right wing crossbench seem more impotent.

What makes it f'n hilarious is that UAP ousted the Libs from the Senate seat thanks to the Vic Libs preferencing UAP.

Last edited:
What makes it f'n hilarious is that UAP ousted the Libs for the Senate seat thanks to the Vic Libs preferencing UAP.

What is not so hilarious is the possibility that the early 'retirement' of Ralph Babet allows the UAP to select anyone they wish to take up the vacancy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back