2022 Federal Election Watch - Part 2 the count

Then why do they simultaneously need to criticise the minimum wage rising at the same rate as inflation?
Because they fear the inflationary spiral effect (this is difficult to prove/ disprove) and the higher inflation rate further eroded standard of living for all but worse for those on benefits (as they only got 3.5% not 5.1%)

Again, the tax cuts were LNP legislation and Labor blocking tax cuts in the lead up to an election with the rabid media climate in Australia is electoral suicide.

The only time Morrison did anything was if it fitted both of these criteria;
  1. It had to benefit the wealthy
  2. It had to wedge Labor
Tax cuts for the wealthy were a Morrison wet dream.
However tossing the tax cuts now outside of an election would appear risk free to me.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because they fear the inflationary spiral effect (this is difficult to prove/ disprove)
Whatever the answer is, I'm pretty confident sending more people below the poverty line isn't it.

and the higher inflation rate further eroded standard of living for all but worse for those on benefits (as they only got 3.5% not 5.1%)
My point is that both can be fixed simultaneously. There's no need for anyone to criticise the minimum wage keeping up with inflation in order to support a rise to welfare. One can support both.

well, he could also be living purely on income support and then fearing inflation affecting basic cost of living, seeing those more fortunate to get a job getting the 5.1% but not seeing the same protection. So I don't read it as necessarily being on a good wicket.
I don't see it as a bad thing that low income earners got a raise.

Obviously it isn't physical debt collection, but it's really just a nicer face on the same thing. I agree with Gralin that the government should just forgive the debt, the same way that the previous one didn't try clawing back Jobkeeper (which was much more egregious and costly).
As far as Social security debt I tend to agree and there is no evidence as yet that the Labor Government will not do exactly that in many cases.

The Libs did not try to claw back Jobkeeper because businesses benefited, that did not even require it. Gerry Harvey, Qantas.
I hope that Labor does go after them.

Whatever the answer is, I'm pretty confident sending more people below the poverty line isn't it.

My point is that both can be fixed simultaneously. There's no need for anyone to criticise the minimum wage keeping up with inflation in order to support a rise to welfare. One can support both.
I think that poster would support both happening but at the moment only one is which means that those missing out (welfare) are getting a real pay cut and there doesn’t appear to be anyone out there that gives a s**t. And if the (lnp leaning economists) are right about increasing wages increasing inflation then those on welfare lose out, so it makes a perverse sense that they would not want to see low paid workers get pay rise if it means more hardship for them.

Similarly I don’t think ANYONE should be supporting stage 3 tax cuts as this will be very inflationary in itself and then the low incomes (workers and welfare) both lose

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Whilst I think the Coalition will win government again in some form, I just feel so content and satisfied about politics at the moment.

Evil has been vanquished.
It's nice to have a government that does at least the bare minimum to improve the country.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was the turning point of the federal election for you?

For me, it was when Daniel Andrews appeared alongside Anthony Albanese and ripped into the Morrison government about their lack of respect for Victoria.

From that point onwards, Morrison was kaput.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Nice to see Albo cutting staffing levels for the crossbench...
A stupid senseless own-goal that c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ will come back to haunt them.

Greens get an effective cut in staffers too.

Without the Coalition, Labor needs all the Greens plus one crossbencher to pass Senate bills!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
A stupid senseless own-goal that c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ will come back to haunt them.

Greens get an effective cut in staffers too.

Without the Coalition, Labor needs all the Greens plus one crossbencher to pass Senate bills!
Doesn't matter, Albanese's Do-Nothing ALP has no plans to pass any worthwhile Senate Bills anyway.

Particularly since he’ll almost certainly back down. He needs the cross bench and the backlash was obvious. If there was a sense that there were too many staffers costing too much money (four each may be a bit much), he should have cut it more gradually.
I mean it just looks like he's trying to limit their ability to do their jobs to make his life easier.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean it just looks like he's trying to limit their ability to do their jobs to make his life easier.
Except it’s obvious alienating the cross bench won’t make his life easier. Sure, he has the numbers in the HoR but he needs the Greens, and either Pocock or Lambie in the Senate. So it makes no sense to piss them off.

Sure, piss off the Libs and One Nation, that’s fun.

Except it’s obvious alienating the cross bench won’t make his life easier. Sure, he has the numbers in the HoR but he needs the Greens, and either Pocock or Lambie in the Senate. So it makes no sense to piss them off.

Sure, piss off the Libs and One Nation, that’s fun.
Just shows his contempt for democracy I reckon.
All these pricks think they're born to rule

It looks like one of those things that a new government does to try to put their stamp on it and they haven't got it right.
I reckon Labor and the coalition are shitting bricks and this is an attempt to undermine independents and small parties to get votes back in 3 years

They are trying to stop the push back against the status quo

I reckon Labor and the coalition are shitting bricks and this is an attempt to undermine independents and small parties to get votes back in 3 years

They are trying to stop the push back against the status quo
I'm not sure I see the point of Labor picking a fight with the independents. As it stands they are no challenge to them at all in terms of seats and as long as they can keep them inside the tent for the next three years they'll remain like that.

I'm not sure I see the point of Labor picking a fight with the independents. As it stands they are no challenge to them at all in terms of seats and as long as they can keep them inside the tent for the next three years they'll remain like that.
I'm seeing a lot of Albo's way or the highway and we're only doing the small target things we promised.

I don't think he gives a s**t he'd rather pass no policy than compromise, same as Rudd

But Labor stans will blame the greens and independents for it

Nice to see Albo cutting staffing levels for the crossbench...
Can you post the staffing levels prior to Abbott?
I was always of the belief the levels were raised, for the benefit of the halfwit independents like Hanson, to buy their vote for the Liberal campaigners.
The assumption is that the new raft of independence do not need to be "paid off" by allowing them to employ friends and relatives on the public dollar.

James Ashby is a perfect example.
Human cancer.

Back