World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group A - (Qatar, Ecuador, Senegal, Netherlands)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ecuador have been streets better here

If you took a shot every time you heard the word Estupinan you’d need your stomach pumped

So does this game help finally break the myth that VVD is a great defender? What was he doing on that goal
Ake keeps Valencia onside for the goal. If he holds the line with VVD, it's no goal.

But why isn't VVD trying to close down
In this case, he's going across to cover Timbers area (who loses the ball), but at the same time he has to protect his area as well. Ake just needed to hold the line with him and they would have got the ball back.

In this case, he's going across to cover Timbers area (who loses the ball), but at the same time he has to protect his area as well. Ake just needed to hold the line with him and they would have got the ball back.
He did neither. He's too busy ball watching which is one of his fatal flaws that existed at Celtic. Doesn't get out to close down, it's poor defending yet again

Hoping for another Qatar spanking tonight. Would love for them to be the first team eliminated on their home patch.

Their Asisn Cup win looking more and more suspect by the day. They are piss poor.

Not sure they will qualify even with AFC getting 8 places for 2026.

I haven’t thought much of the Dutch national side in years. Definitely an overhype, yet again.
I never understood why some rated them a chance. They have no world class striker, and only one world class midfielder. They were bailed out by Gakpo magic to get a point, Ecuador were the better team and deserve to go through. The Dutch won't go further than the quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never understood why some rated them a chance. They have no world class striker, and only one world class midfielder. They were bailed out by Gakpo magic to get a point, Ecuador were the better team and deserve to go through. The Dutch won't go further than the quarters.

It's the group of s**t.

I don't think Ecuador have made the round of 16 in my lifetime (maybe 2006?). Good to see them just about there.
Their matchup vs Senegal is essentially win or bust (Ecuador can draw though) for both teams.

So does this game help finally break the myth that VVD is a great defender? What was he doing on that goal
Ake keeps Valencia onside for the goal. If he holds the line with VVD, it's no goal.

FFS! He did nothing to close down space and thwart the initial shot on goal. Surely that's your job as a defender rather than letting the attacker stroll in and have your GK deal with a rocket from inside the penalty box?

But they have the Gakpo magic, which is more than many of these teams have!

The Eindhoven boy won't be living in Eindhoven much longer after this tournament me thinks.

FFS! He did nothing to close down space and thwart the initial shot on goal. Surely that's your job as a defender rather than letting the attacker stroll in and have your GK deal with a rocket from inside the penalty box?

Lol. He cant be in two places at once. Either he rushes toward the striker in a last ditch attempt to block him or he defends the zone, forces the striker to take a shot from out wide. Every chance if he dives in that the striker then cuts inside and has an easy finish. As a defender you have to play the odds and the least xg in this situation was forcing a shot on goal from out wide unlikely to be finished.

Lol. He cant be in two places at once. Either he rushes toward the striker in a last ditch attempt to block him or he defends the zone, forces the striker to take a shot from out wide. Every chance if he dives in that the striker then cuts inside and has an easy finish. As a defender you have to play the odds and the least xg in this situation was forcing a shot on goal from out wide unlikely to be finished.
Thought you were boycotting ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back