World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group D - (France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia)

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips was playing for England when we were in the championship. Villa offered 30 mil for him when we were in the championship. He was named Englands player of the year last year. City paid 45-50mil for him. He’s been injured this year which is why he’s not been playing. To say he’s never been a decent player is hilarious.

He isn't good enough to get a regular game for city.

Yet another 50m quid back up.

Middle east ruining football via oil

That’s probably what we all wanted wasn’t it? Anything from here is a bonus. We’ve only ever won twice before at a World Cup, and the Serbia game didn't help us get through anyway.

To win in prime time like that on a Saturday night was huge for the game here. The scenes in Fed Square have gone viral, and a lot of the people there were probably kids when we beat Japan.

Soutter close to the best individual game by a Socceroo in a World Cup match for mine. Was at a pub watching it and the eruption when he laid that tackle in the 85th minute was as big as the goal. The speed he showed to get across was phenomenal.

I thought it had moved past Mooy, but he was unbelievable as well - never seen him so engaged defensively before.

The Behich-Goodwin combo down the left side has been working well too.

Few concerns though - how many of the guys have 270 minutes in them with such short turnarounds? Soutter and Mooy in particular is a big ask.

I reckon Hrustic should play for McGree, but we might have to save him in case Mooy runs out of legs. Also the subs were all underwhelming when they came on - Karacic was gassed and should have gone off earlier, and Mabil was a liability in both phases when he was on.

We are up against it but at least we have a live chance going into the last game.

Phillips was playing for England when we were in the championship. Villa offered 30 mil for him when we were in the championship. He was named Englands player of the year last year. City paid 45-50mil for him. He’s been injured this year which is why he’s not been playing. To say he’s never been a decent player is hilarious.
On that logic, Grealish is England’s best ever player at 100m.

English player should are incredibly lucky to have EPL due to visa restrictions and can be easily transferred.
Phillips gets an impressive amount, no doubt.
Think about this. If he played for Tunisia, would he be getting that amount?

That’s probably what we all wanted wasn’t it? Anything from here is a bonus. We’ve only ever won twice before at a World Cup, and the Serbia game didn't help us get through anyway.

To win in prime time like that on a Saturday night was huge for the game here. The scenes in Fed Square have gone viral, and a lot of the people there were probably kids when we beat Japan.

Soutter close to the best individual game by a Socceroo in a World Cup match for mine. Was at a pub watching it and the eruption when he laid that tackle in the 85th minute was as big as the goal. The speed he showed to get across was phenomenal.

I thought it had moved past Mooy, but he was unbelievable as well - never seen him so engaged defensively before.

The Behich-Goodwin combo down the left side has been working well too.

Few concerns though - how many of the guys have 270 minutes in them with such short turnarounds? Soutter and Mooy in particular is a big ask.

I reckon Hrustic should play for McGree, but we might have to save him in case Mooy runs out of legs. Also the subs were all underwhelming when they came on - Karacic was gassed and should have gone off earlier, and Mabil was a liability in both phases when he was on.

We are up against it but at least we have a live chance going into the last game.
Need to change a few players. Leckie and Goodwin were spent, and it slowed Australia down.
Could see Hrustic ahead of Mcgree. But Arnold will probably settle with the same 11

He never played for England while you were in the Championship. He got one call up but didn't play.

I didn’t think we’d get past Peru in the qualifier, and it happened.

Once I was proved wrong and we made the world cup group stage, I thought we’d get a 1-0 win vs Tunisia and go scoreless (and lose) in the other 2 games.

We scored vs France, and still have 1 game to go. A 0-0 draw would be massive, but even if we lost, it’s already above my expectations.

I didn’t think we’d get past Peru in the qualifier, and it happened.

Once I was proved wrong and we made the world cup group stage, I thought we’d get a 1-0 win vs Tunisia and go scoreless (and lose) in the other 2 games.

We scored vs France, and still have 1 game to go. A 0-0 draw would be massive, but even if we lost, it’s already above my expectations.

TBH, getting anything more than 1 point exceeds my expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn, didn't realise France are through and could theoretically play a B team against Tunisia. I expect us to lose to Denmark regardless however it would be really shitty if we snag a draw in that game only for France to lose and we miss out.
People have said France's 5th team would still destroy us yet are concerned their 2nd team will lose to Tunisia :think:.

On that logic, Grealish is England’s best ever player at 100m.

English player should are incredibly lucky to have EPL due to visa restrictions and can be easily transferred.
Phillips gets an impressive amount, no doubt.
Think about this. If he played for Tunisia, would he be getting that amount?
No that’s not the logic at all. You said he’s never been decent, which is just plain wrong.

He never played for England while you were in the Championship. He got one call up but didn't play.
Doesn’t take anything away from the argument. You don’t get called up for England, play in the euros and get named their player of the year, play in the premier league and get picked up by the best team while ‘never been decent’.

Damn, didn't realise France are through and could theoretically play a B team against Tunisia. I expect us to lose to Denmark regardless however it would be really shitty if we snag a draw in that game only for France to lose and we miss out.

The problem I see with Tunisia is that they're basically a well-organised side with hard-working, ball-winning midfielders (Laidouni and particularly Skhiri), some technical skill (Sliti and particularly Msakni) but very limited firepower.

I don't see how they can beat France outright TBH, even if FRA rests players (which they probably will). They could maybe hold them, or make them work for their victory, but beyond that?

Edit: got GD wrong way around. Ignore the below.

If we draw and Tunisia do snag a win, they'd need to win by 2 goals to get ahead on GD.
If they win by 1 goal, we're even on GD and as such they'd have to outscore us by 3 goals to go ahead on Goals Scored.
If they outscore us by 2 goals then we'd be even on GD and GS, and as such we'd go through on H2H having beaten them.

Basically, Get the draw, we're through !

Last edited:
Doesn’t take anything away from the argument. You don’t get called up for England, play in the euros and get named their player of the year, play in the premier league and get picked up by the best team while ‘never been decent’.

He's definitely a lot better than Mooy.

If we draw and Tunisia do snag a win, they'd need to win by 2 goals to get ahead on GD.
If they win by 1 goal, we're even on GD and as such they'd have to outscore us by 3 goals to go ahead on Goals Scored.
If they outscore us by 2 goals then we'd be even on GD and GS, and as such we'd go through on H2H having beaten them.

Basically, Get the draw, we're through !
Our GD is -2 to their -1, if we draw and Tunisia win they finish above us.

Are we going to have to admit Arnold is a decent coach if he gets us through?

carol GIF

I put a pineapple on Australia finishing the group stage on 0 points @ $5 and its looking a beaut bet so far.

Tunisia will kick an early goal against us and then park the bus, whilst Denmark will beat us by a couple goals imo.

It's looking a beaut?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back