World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup (Qualifiers)

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah bit of a farce when the likes of Willian didn't have to quarantine I think.

Supposedly the issue is that the English based players didn't declare they were in England on their paperwork which one assumes was completed by the AFA.

That's farcical because the Brazilian FA must know that the likes of Romero, Lo Celso etc all play and live in England. Highly political stunt this one, you feel FIFA must penalise them heavily.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Picture the return match Argentina vs Brazil in Buenos Aires. A fine, hard fought game is evenly balanced at 1-1 after 75 minutes. Neymar gets through the Argentinean defence with some brilliant footwork. Round the keeper, is about to score....then an Argentinean health official hacks him down from behind and arrests him because he failed to declare every single location he attended in the previous 14 days prior to the match.

Supposedly the issue is that the English based players didn't declare they were in England on their paperwork which one assumes was completed by the AFA.

That's farcical because the Brazilian FA must know that the likes of Romero, Lo Celso etc all play and live in England. Highly political stunt this one, you feel FIFA must penalise them heavily.

Punish who?

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
The irony of requiring people to quarantine in Brazil... given what the President thought of Covid. They've had one tenth of world cases and now they care..
Only people from the UK, India and South Africa (i.e. the places besides Brazil itself that were the genesis of most of the variants)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
England B v Andorra was like watching paint dry. So much 🦀🦀🦀. It was obvious early doors that Andorra had a Sunday League keeper but England didn't test him until the last few minutes.

Brazillan FA. They must have been in on this.
Maybe, maybe not.

But surely Argentina have to take some responsibility as well. By all accounts the letter of the law was followed by the Brazilian authorities.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Maybe, maybe not.

But surely Argentina have to take some responsibility as well. By all accounts the letter of the law was followed by the Brazilian authorities.

Yeah you could say Argentina are partially responsible. But let's be honest, the Brazilian FA were well aware that all 4 EPL based players had travelled from England. Remember this is a country with a far right wing leader who regularly flouts or ignores lockdown advice and openly spreads misinformation about covid. If the health department were going to make an issue of this 3 days before the game was the right time to do it. Not force your way onto the pitch 6 minutes into the game and ignore your own social distancing requirements. They should have not even been allowed in the stadium.

Either way this will surely undermine CONEMBOL fixtures in the future as long as the pandemic is continuing. Not sure why they aren't playing in a amber country hub. And good luck expecting clubs to release players for further fixtures in Brazil after this episode.

Even some of the Asian qualifiers are currently being played in a hub despite the situation being much better in Asia (apart from India & Indonesia - neither of whom are participating) covid wise.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Health Department isn't the Brazilian FA.

Probably best to wait for facts to come out.

AFA are saying all CONEMBOL nations had an agreed protocol for World Cup qualifiers which they have followed. Sounds like the Brazilian Health department decided for whatever reason to ignore that agreement. The Brazilian FA shouldn't have allowed them access to the stadium though, they had no business entering.

Meanwhile on Brazil national day:

Not a health department official to be seen. Bolsonaro holding rallies with massive crowds.

AFA are saying all CONEMBOL nations had an agreed protocol for World Cup qualifiers which they have followed. Sounds like the Brazilian Health department decided for whatever reason to ignore that agreement. The Brazilian FA shouldn't have allowed them access to the stadium though, they had no business entering.

Not a health department official to be seen. Bolsonaro holding rallies with massive crowds.
You can't deny health authorities access to the stadium.

Football may have an agreed protocol, but they are subject to the laws of the land as well.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You can't deny health authorities access to the stadium.

Football may have an agreed protocol, but they are subject to the laws of the land as well.

I don't know what sort of laws there are in Brazil but you certainly can deny anyone entry to a private venue like a football stadium here in Australia. Health authorities are not the police. To me the right thing would have been to turn them away when they attempted entry to the stadium and to direct them to contact the Argentinian Football Association if they had an issue to raise. I'd imagine them trying to force their way onto the pitch in itself would be a breach of covid regulations.

Remember these same health authorities are nowhere to be seen for political rallies on Brazil national day with tens of thousands in attendance. The whole thing is absolutely farcical and it is unfair that innocent players are caught up in the crossfire.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

You seem to be under the assumption that the Brazilian health authorities were party to the agreement in the first place, but I don't think that's a smart assumption to make.

If the Brazilian FA makes an agreement with all the other FAs to just let footballers in to play games without first consulting the health authorities, its not the fault of the health authorities if they do their job and enforce the laws they are supposed to enforce

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You seem to be under the assumption that the Brazilian health authorities were party to the agreement in the first place, but I don't think that's a smart assumption to make.

If the Brazilian FA makes an agreement with all the other FAs to just let footballers in to play games without first consulting the health authorities, its not the fault of the health authorities if they do their job and enforce the laws they are supposed to enforce

Maybe they weren't party to the agreement but either way if that really was an issue they should be approaching the Argentineans when they arrived 3 days prior to the game. They obviously had no issue passing through customs etc etc.

Barging onto the field after 6 minutes of play is simply unacceptable and a breach of covid protocol. It seems they only had an issue just before the game.

Lets also not forget the very same health authorities do nothing while the president holds massive national day rallies with tens of thousands of attendees.

If I were a betting man I would say the Brazilian FA were not happy about their English based players not being released (dont forget they were demandiing their release despite the claimed 14 day quarantine requirement) so took it out on the Argenitinean players that were released from English clubs.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maybe they weren't party to the agreement but either way if that really was an issue they should be approaching the Argentineans when they arrived 3 days prior to the game. They obviously had no issue passing through customs etc etc.

Barging onto the field after 6 minutes of play is simply unacceptable and a breach of covid protocol. It seems they only had an issue just before the game.

Lets also not forget the very same health authorities do nothing while the president holds massive national day rallies with tens of thousands of attendees.

If I were a betting man I would say the Brazilian FA were not happy about their English based players not being released (dont forget they were demandiing their release despite the claimed 14 day quarantine requirement) so took it out on the Argenitinean players that were released from English clubs.
How much have you actually read on what happened?

If you had read up before commenting, you'd know its been reported that the national health authority had directed the local health authorities to send the 4 players in question into quarantine after finding out that their visa applications were incorrect, and that they tried to approach the players at their hotel and in the dressing room prior to the game starting and were blocked form doing so

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
How much have you actually read on what happened?

If you had read up before commenting, you'd know its been reported that the national health authority had directed the local health authorities to send the 4 players in question into quarantine after finding out that their visa applications were incorrect, and that they tried to approach the players at their hotel and in the dressing room prior to the game starting and were blocked form doing so

I wouldn't want random strangers approaching me at a hotel. They could have commuicated to the AFA.

The 14 day quarantine thing is total crap. Brazillian FA attempted to select 5 EPL players for the game. Somehow the quarantine requirement didn't magically apply for them.

Unbelievable the health department is pulling this crap when rallies of tens of thousands are being run by the president on Brazil national day with a health official nowhere to be seen.

I don't know what sort of laws there are in Brazil but you certainly can deny anyone entry to a private venue like a football stadium here in Australia. Health authorities are not the police.

I think you'll find that's not the case.

Remember these same health authorities are nowhere to be seen for political rallies on Brazil national day with tens of thousands in attendance. The whole thing is absolutely farcical and it is unfair that innocent players are caught up in the crossfire.

Not sure that's anything to do with the Brazilian FA.

Back