World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup (Qualifiers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sterling can do so much right and then mess up at the end.

There were two or three times he got to the byline and instead of sliding it through he turned back out giving all the defenders a chance to regroup.

England need a better goalkeeper. Pickford nearly cost England a goal with that howler and his distribution is awful. They might as well just give the ball to the opposition instead of passing the ball back to him.

Southgate should have gone to his bench. There were some tired legs by the end and a couple on yellow cards. It would have also broken up the game when Poland were getting up a head of steam.

Hoping Honduras can pick up a win today

I still remember back to 2010 when Russia and Qatar won the rights and some Americans were filthy and said they should boycot the world cup

Well, they couldn't qualify for 2018, here's hoping the same happens for 2022 (unlikely, but a man can dream cant he)

That's what you get for trying to manage a game at 1-0 and not being Italian
Yep Italians would have at least made some subs, certainly wouldn’t have defended late with four attacking players still on

So Brazil are forcing 5 day suspensions on players called up to play for Brazil but didn't go even though they would need to quarantine once they got to Brazil.

Sounds like they were just upset the Argentine players still joined the national team and the Brazilian players didn't

Yep, that confirms what it was all about. Sounds like clubs are fighting it. Players would have needed a 14 day quarantine on arrival in Brazil (making them ineligible for the Argentina game) and a 10 day isolation on return.

Hoping Honduras can pick up a win today

I still remember back to 2010 when Russia and Qatar won the rights and some Americans were filthy and said they should boycot the world cup

Well, they couldn't qualify for 2018, here's hoping the same happens for 2022 (unlikely, but a man can dream cant he)
Given how they've started (draws with El Salvador and Canada) it might not actually be that unlikely.

Honduras up 1-0 over the USA at half time.

C'mon los catrachos

WTF is up with the yanks these days? Qualifying from CONCACAF should be pretty much guaranteed to US/Mexico every WC. Will be ridiculously easy when they bring in the 48 team tournament.

EDIT: I only just noticed that the US put 4 goals past Honduras after you posted lol. Not surprising, I remember our 2 legged playoff against Honduras, we dominated them away and then accounted for them easily at home 3-1 back in 2017.

WTF is up with the yanks these days? Qualifying from CONCACAF should be pretty much guaranteed to US/Mexico every WC. Will be ridiculously easy when they bring in the 48 team tournament.

EDIT: I only just noticed that the US put 4 goals past Honduras after you posted lol. Not surprising, I remember our 2 legged playoff against Honduras, we dominated them away and then accounted for them easily at home 3-1 back in 2017.
Karma after someone made comment 'should we boycot Russia and Qatar'
I normally dont care if they make it or not as it should be a forgone conclusion.
However, if they fail it'll be hilarious

Turns out Brazillian citizens do not need to complete 14 days of quarantine upon entering Brazil from the UK.

Non citizens must, although all of the conembol nations did have (and still do) have an agreement in place allowing travel for WC qualifying fixtures.

Didnt realise that covid could distinguish between passport holders!!

what an absolute cluster*.

I'm want to savor these qualifiers while I can. I've always enjoyed watching the qualifiers, but with the expansion to 48 I don't know if I'll be too into it next time (and I say that as a Canadian who has never seen Canada play in a 32 team World Cup).

I'm want to savor these qualifiers while I can. I've always enjoyed watching the qualifiers, but with the expansion to 48 I don't know if I'll be too into it next time (and I say that as a Canadian who has never seen Canada play in a 32 team World Cup).

I hope the 48 team comp is canned. Just too diluted in terms of quality. 32 is just right.

I hope the 48 team comp is canned. Just too diluted in terms of quality. 32 is just right.
Pfft, speak for yourselves! I, for one, am very much looking forward to Uzbekistan vs Tahiti.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of drama in African qualifying. Guinea-Bissau accused the Moroccan hotel they were staying at of poisoning them after 25 of their players and staff suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting on match eve. The Guinea-Bissau government asked for the match to be called off and the boss of their FA said "Morocco is afraid of us".

Anyway the match went ahead and Morocco won 5-0 :D . That's the magic of World Cup qualifying.

Bit of drama in African qualifying. Guinea-Bissau accused the Moroccan hotel they were staying at of poisoning them after 25 of their players and staff suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting on match eve. The Guinea-Bissau government asked for the match to be called off and the boss of their FA said "Morocco is afraid of us".

Anyway the match went ahead and Morocco won 5-0 :D . That's the magic of World Cup qualifying.

Sounds like Lasagne gate episode 2.

Teams that can qualify this international break

Brazil - Need to win both games (at Columbia, vs Uruguay), rely on Columbia losing their other game (vs Ecuador), Paraguay either losing both games, or lose one and draw the other (at Chile, at Bolivia) and Peru either lose both games, or lose one and draw the other (at Bolivia, at Argentina)

Belgium - Need Estonia to steal a point off Wales

Denmark - Win both games (at Moldova, vs Austria) - Or a multitude of permutations (but a win tonight will just about wrap it up, even mathematically)

England - Would need to win both games (vs Hungary, at Andorra) and need results to go their way (quite a few)

Germany - Need to win (at North Macedonia) and have Armenia drop a point (at Romania)

Might update this tomorrow when England/Denmark/Brazil have a clearer path.

Ironic that Andorra v England was on a plastic pitch. Because the game was like watching grass grow...

It was good to see Grealish get his first goal for England. He needs to add that to his game. Foden was outstanding in the quarter back position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back