World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup (Qualifiers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Canada lose all 3
Panama win all 3
USA win the 2 not involving Panama
Mexico win the 2 not involving USA

1/2 USA and Mexico on 27pts
3 Panama on 26pts
4 Canada on 25pts

How'd that pan out?

In the biggest news of the international break Solomon Islands defeat Papua New Guinea in a thrilling 3-2 victory and now face New Zealand for the right to play 5th placed CONCACAF for a place at Qatar 2022.

This will be the second WC qualification section in a row where NZ and Solomon Islands have faced off to play against a Concacaf (2022) or Conmebol nation (NZ vs Peru in 2018). I wonder if NZ would consider applying to come to Asia, they did beat Bahrain in 2010 to qualify for the WC.

This will be the second WC qualification section in a row where NZ and Solomon Islands have faced off to play against a Concacaf (2022) or Conmebol nation (NZ vs Peru in 2018). I wonder if NZ would consider applying to come to Asia, they did beat Bahrain in 2010 to qualify for the WC.

Oceania should really just become part of Asian confederation.

At the rate things are going for Russia don't be surprised if they leave UEFA and join the AFC with over half the country located within Asia!!

Oceania get a full spot after this one though don't they with the new world cup format?

Oceania should really just become part of Asian confederation.

At the rate things are going for Russia don't be surprised if they leave UEFA and join the AFC with over half the country located within Asia!!
I don’t think Oceania nations outside of NZ have very good prospects of making the World Cup so at least going through their own region will give them an opportunity to play against a Concacaf or Conmebol nation. You bright them all to Asia and they will get demolished every match.

Edit: Oceania get a full spot from 2026.

I don’t think Oceania nations outside of NZ have very good prospects of making the World Cup so at least going through their own region will give them an opportunity to play against a Concacaf or Cinmebol nation. You bright them all to Asia and they will get demolished every match.

The idea was that if they joined Asia they play as a sub association. So they all play off against each other and the best of them goes into the next stage of qualifying.

Yep, 8 qualify from Asia, up from 4. It would take a monumental implosion not to qualify moving forward.

That's why he needs to be sacked now as if he thinks he can hang on until 2026 qualifying he knows he has an easy ride!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

48 teams in the WC …fmd

Not to sound elitist but it’s going to feel watered down. It’s still a World Cup and they are always fun but in order for FIFA to get all the top European nations in the tournament (all the top South American nations are always in the WC), the tournament is now 48 nations.

I don’t think we will get many “oops, Italy or [insert big European nation] didn’t qualify” moments in the future.

Not to sound elitist but it’s going to feel watered down. It’s still a World Cup and they are always fun but in order for FIFA to get all the top European nations in the tournament (all the top South American nations are always in the WC), the tournament is now 48 nations.

I don’t think we will get many “oops, Italy or [insert big European nation] didn’t qualify” moments in the future.
Takes a bit of interest away from latter qualifying matches. Just look at Asia..top four from each group..we would’ve clinched a spot a few games ago if it applied this time around. We’d go around thinking gee aren’t we good and hide all the problems we do have

Oceania get a full spot after this one though don't they with the new world cup format?
correct me if im wrong but it looks like 1 full world cup spot, plus a play off

The play off consists of 2 spots in a qualifier involving: OFC, AFC, Africa, South American, CONCACAF, and the hosts from CONCACAF.

There will be two seeded teams, from what i gather that advance to a semi-final, with the other 4 lower ranked teams battling for those 2 semi spots.

So basically to put it in a nutschell

• 2nd best Oceania side
  • 10th best African side
  • 7th best CONCACAF side
  • 7th best South American side
  • 9th best Asian side
  • CONCACAF host

given whats gone on in Asian qualifying the 9th best side in asian qualifying might be the likes of a China or a Lebanon. Oceania might be a Solomon Islands.

Im assuming in Africa and given their condensed schedule, that probably break it up into 5 groups of 5 , with the 4 best runner ups going straight through, and the 5th best runner up get placed into that World Cup playoff pot.

The current 7th best side in South America is Chile. In CONCACAF, its a team like Jamaica.

I mean probably I expect a team like Chile and an African team to be seeded in that scenario.

Teams from : Oceania, Asia, CONCACAF, and the host of CONCACAF to play that 1 extra game like they do in that FIFA Club World Cup.

THe problem is I cant for honestly say that the 2nd best Oceania side is any worse than the 9th best Asian side.

Im all for expanding the World Cup, to give these countries and FIFA acknowledge that they have to grow the game. As much as I hate to say, you can pinpoint the top 3-4 nations in : Asia, South America and North America before qualification starts.

Im thinking of South American now basically have 6.5 spots, Africa has 9.5 spots.(if they happen to be seeded for a draw)

THe problem is I cant for honestly say that the 2nd best Oceania side is any worse than the 9th best Asian side.

Im all for expanding the World Cup, to give these countries and FIFA acknowledge that they have to grow the game. As much as I hate to say, you can pinpoint the top 3-4 nations in : Asia, South America and North America before qualification starts.

Im thinking of South American now basically have 6.5 spots, Africa has 9.5 spots.(if they happen to be seeded for a draw)

Only one nation (NZ) has a national team full of professional footballers in Oceania.

In Asia even weak nations like India have a team full of professionals. The 2nd best Oceania team would be about the 30th best AFC team and that's being generous.

The equivalent nations in AFC to OFC are the likes of Guam, Maldives etc. Pretty much the bottom 10 out of 47 OFC nations.

48 teams in the WC …fmd
Takes a bit of interest away from latter qualifying matches. Just look at Asia..top four from each group..we would’ve clinched a spot a few games ago if it applied this time around. We’d go around thinking gee aren’t we good and hide all the problems we do have

It wouldn't make a difference if 32 teams 48 or 100 teams in the World Cup the winner will always come out of Europe or South America. Everything else is just a participation award.

Having said that does anyone know what the format for 48 teams will look like? Depending on the format it could still work and be fun to watch say if its groups of three with only the top team of the group advancing for etc.. we might get some fast paced matches. Some with qualifying it could still be interesting if they are all condensed into short groups and play-offs. But knowing FIFA they'll wanna please everyone so I doubt the formats will change much and the confederations will make sure their big nations always qualify with a few minnow thrown in every once in a while.

It wouldn't make a difference if 32 teams 48 or 100 teams in the World Cup the winner will always come out of Europe or South America. Everything else is just a participation award.

Having said that does anyone know what the format for 48 teams will look like? Depending on the format it could still work and be fun to watch say if its groups of three with only the top team of the group advancing for etc.. we might get some fast paced matches. Some with qualifying it could still be interesting if they are all condensed into short groups and play-offs. But knowing FIFA they'll wanna please everyone so I doubt the formats will change much and the confederations will make sure their big nations always qualify with a few minnow thrown in every once in a while.
The format outlined when 48 teams were approved was groups of 3 but with the top 2 in each advancing. So you'd have a knock out round of 32 before the round of 16. The idea is that the winning team would still play the same amount of matches as they did before to win the thing.

The format outlined when 48 teams were approved was groups of 3 but with the top 2 in each advancing. So you'd have a knock out round of 32 before the round of 16. The idea is that the winning team would still play the same amount of matches as they did before to win the thing.
Well.. I don’t like two teams advancing from groups of 3 that’s a snooze fest but more knockout matches is always a good thing. Looks like all the fun will start from the round of 32!

More dull WC finals games but my point was also around boring qualifiers. Look at South America..10 teams and play 18 games which is a lot. But it’s competitive…but it’ll change to the top 7(8?) going through so what’s the point for many of the games.

More dull WC finals games but my point was also around boring qualifiers. Look at South America..10 teams and play 18 games which is a lot. But it’s competitive…but it’ll change to the top 7(8?) going through so what’s the point for many of the games.

Left number is 2022 and right is 2026

1648523469792.jpeg

“A playoff tournament involving six teams will be held to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths,[20] consisting of one team per confederation (except for UEFA) and one additional team from the confederation of the host countries (CONCACAF).”

So maybe the right number are the full places but that can rise by 1 for the last two World Cup spots. So a 7th nation in South America. That’s just crazy for a region of 10 nations.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back