Fixture 2022 Fixture for the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

RoyBoy17

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like the idea, but think the only way it would work is if it was against a smaller interstate club - GWS, for example.

To brand it as a Lions home game but have 60, 000 Richmond fans in the place would kill the vibe a little I think. Much better if it sounds and feels like a Lions home game - although I know that would mean a much smaller crowd.
Perhaps we could play it at a smaller venue then? Princess park against an interstate team or north Melbourne. They wouldn’t rock up in large numbers

I like the idea, but think the only way it would work is if it was against a smaller interstate club - GWS, for example.

To brand it as a Lions home game but have 60, 000 Richmond fans in the place would kill the vibe a little I think. Much better if it sounds and feels like a Lions home game - although I know that would mean a much smaller crowd.
I don't know that Melbourne based opposition fans necessarily turn out in the same numbers for "away" games in Melbourne. They have to buy match tickets on top of their membership fees which is obviously a disincentive. We'd still be outnumbered of course, against the big teams anyway, but I don't know that it would be as one sided as it would be it the opposition members had home ground rights.

Perhaps we could play it at a smaller venue then? Princess park against an interstate team or north Melbourne. They wouldn’t rock up in large numbers
The AFL won't play AFL games at those stadiums. We could get Marvel against an interstate team, potentially, because it's AFL owned.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Will Richmond still get 60,000 fans if they are sh!t?

If they can build a new hospital in Wuhan in 2 weeks surely they can have the Gabba done in 3-4 weeks max.
To do that sort of thing requires a lot of capacity and/or central planning.

During WW2 the US built the 14,474t Liberty ship SS Robert E. Peary in four and a half days, and the Welsh built a Wellington bomber in 24h, but we don't do that sort of thing anymore.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

During WW2 the US built the 14,474t Liberty ship SS Robert E. Peary in four and a half days, and the Welsh built a Wellington bomber in 24h, but we don't do that sort of thing anymore.
no OH&S and 30 layers of project managers

Just weld the dead bodies shut inside the hull.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Ford motor company produced the Consolidated B-24 Liberator under licence.

At the peak of production Ford were pumping out one B-24 bomber per hour at one of their plants. That's one four engined bomber per hour. Insane.

Not sure on the workforce numbers required for that level of productivity. Consolidated at one stage had 45,000 staff.

1639387124088.png

Will Richmond still get 60,000 fans if they are sh!t?

Unlikely you'd think but they used to be able to get 40k to big losses for a while last time they had been down. Will be interesting to see if the rusted ons have grown after a period of dominance.

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
https://squiggle.com.au/ is back with updated probabilities for the 2022 season:

1639748972207.png

These are an aggregation/average of the various footy stats sites, not just Max's own predictions. Overall if they play out as above we go 16-6. That's similar to my original thoughts but I had us beating Essendon and losing to the Giants. There's a really important patch from rounds 8-13 where despite a bit of travel we really want to be winning all those games. If we can jag an early win against Essendon/Geelong/Sydney that gives us a bit more wriggle room later on.

Adding up the probabilities the site has us on 13 wins, equal with the Dogs, and in 2nd place (there must be some hidden rounding going on there):

1639749217168.png

Now obviously whoever does finish 2nd will finish with a few more than 13 wins, but that's the way the probabilities work before the season starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cos we’re good..so yanno

I have no issue with us being good, or having the occasional thursday night game. But I'll be backing up watching both games most likely and have to deal with rough Fridays. They could easily have had us and the dogs on Friday night.

Thursday night games are fine when we aren't playing or there is a public holiday on the friday.

Fizzer Kellity

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have no issue with us being good, or having the occasional thursday night game. But I'll be backing up watching both games most likely and have to deal with rough Fridays. They could easily have had us and the dogs on Friday night.

Thursday night games are fine when we aren't playing or there is a public holiday on the friday.
Any weeknight rules me out completely from even watching as I work,but it’s a price I’m prepared to pay because these decisions are predicated on us being 8-1

Hope round 23 against Melbourne at the Gabba will be Friday night

Well they have the option of Carlton v Collingwood and Essendon v Richmond in the same round for larger and local fan bases ... maybe they will go with the blockbuster North v Suns instead! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back