Fixture 2022 Fixture for the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

And the winner of the most over dramatic post ever goes to.....

Lighten up Grasshopper.

We are a young exiting team to watch with no shortage of emerging stars. Probably picking up more young fans due to our team & game style rather than losing them because of one or two less games per year not being in Melbourne.

As much as I would like more games in Melbs & am just a little shitty that we don't have that this year I'm not going to get negative about it.

Our club rocks.
Would love you to be right. Time will tell I guess. I'm sure all of us who were there at the MCG in Round 23 of 2019 want days like that to happen again. 77,000 for a home and away game on a Sunday arvo involving a team from out of town. It was amazing, and I can still remember the goose bumps when I looked around the Great Southern Stand during the 3rd quarter and there wasn't a single empty seat. And it wasn't because of all the Richmond supporters!

Obviously next time we can get a different result thanks ;)

As a Brisbane based supporter, when the Olympics come, I'd rather see us play more games in Melbourne than play most games out of Metricon.
Don't disagree, but I reckon it will depend if we are in the premiership window and what our winning record is like in Melbourne in about 7 or 8 years from now.

Don't disagree, but I reckon it will depend if we are in the premiership window and what our winning record is like in Melbourne in about 7 or 8 years from now.
Isn’t the Gabba being torn down after the 2025 Ashes tour?

It’s likely going to be out of action for 4 years during the rebuild.

Then typically 12 months before the Olympics, a series of test events are run in the stadium.

Then the stadium is used for the Olympics and para Olympics.

I feel we’re going to be homeless for quite a few years.

It's a shame the old QE II stadium is the wrong configuration. I remember the Broncos played there for a few years whilst Lang Park was being modernised, and pulled mammoth crowds most weeks. I know it's a bit out of town but not as far as Carrara and probably comparable with Springfield(?).

Isn’t the Gabba being torn down after the 2025 Ashes tour?

It’s likely going to be out of action for 4 years during the rebuild.

Then typically 12 months before the Olympics, a series of test events are run in the stadium.

Then the stadium is used for the Olympics and para Olympics.

I feel we’re going to be homeless for quite a few years.

Four years? Really? I think they built the pyramids faster than that.

Possibly the 4 years comes from the timeframe they have between Ashes series. If they start in early December 2025, you can write off the 2026 and 2027 seasons. Probably 2028 too. I could see us playing some part of 2029 there though.

I think they'll be keen to use the stadium as much as possible once it's built so I suspect they'll want the Lions playing there as soon as possible. But then 2032 is likely to be a write off in terms of us playing at the Gabba, you'd have to think. Even if they pause the AFL season during the games, the Gabba will need to be turned into an athletics arena in the months leading up to the Olympics and then it takes time to restore it back to being a footy/cricket venue.

So I reckon we'll be out for 2026-28 and maybe a bit of 2029, play there for a couple of years and then we'll be out again for a large part, if not all, of 2032.

How long did it take to build Optus?
Probably will be a similar build time.
Quite a bit of demolishing to do first though.

36 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly the 4 years comes from the timeframe they have between Ashes series. If they start in early December 2025, you can write off the 2026 and 2027 seasons. Probably 2028 too. I could see us playing some part of 2029 there though.

I think they'll be keen to use the stadium as much as possible once it's built so I suspect they'll want the Lions playing there as soon as possible. But then 2032 is likely to be a write off in terms of us playing at the Gabba, you'd have to think. Even if they pause the AFL season during the games, the Gabba will need to be turned into an athletics arena in the months leading up to the Olympics and then it takes time to restore it back to being a footy/cricket venue.

So I reckon we'll be out for 2026-28 and maybe a bit of 2029, play there for a couple of years and then we'll be out again for a large part, if not all, of 2032.
Geez I’ll be old when this is all over

The Sydney Olympics was held in mid Sept (likely at the direction of the IOC), so possible Brisbane Olympics in late winter or early spring. Australian Athletic Championships are held in April each year, and likely other track meets held after April in 2032 to give our athletes the chance to qualify. Possible the athletic track could be laid late in 2031, and used throughout 2032. Very likely no games at GABBA in 2032. Would think during the GABBA construction (approx:3 to 3.5 years), AFL will want the Lions playing in QLD where possible not to lose any ground to NRL. I think Lions will want to play in QLD as much as possible, especially if considered a chance of winning the flag. I am no engineer but suspect construction of the GABBA to occur in stages and providing safety considerations are satisfied, and there is a playing surface, Lions might host some games at the GABBA during later phases of the construction.

What does everyone think of us playing one home game in Melbourne each year whilst the Gabba is being rebuilt? Can use that game for when we wear the Fitzroy jumper. Make it MCG against a big club. And like someone else has posted it would be one less game at Metricon and pretty much guarantees a minimum of 5 Melbourne games a year. Might not be great for getting wins but I guess getting more MCG exposure for the team is good too

Does anyone know how long the Adelaide oval rebuild took?
Less than 2 years according to this:

Slightly different project scope though as it was a redevelopment rather than a knock down and reconstruct. They continued to play cricket during the construction IIRC.

The Gabba project is looking like being a massive endeavour. The complexity is significant. Trying to fit a 50,000 seat stadium on a parcel of land barely big enough for 40,000 seats. Dealing with multiple major arterial roads on the boundaries. Connection with the new train station. Dealing with heritage aspects involving the school and other buildings on the parcel of land.

I get why they chose the Gabba as the site and I'm very excited by the project but I reckon there will be some people scratching their heads right now about design, logistics etc.

What does everyone think of us playing one home game in Melbourne each year whilst the Gabba is being rebuilt? Can use that game for when we wear the Fitzroy jumper. Make it MCG against a big club. And like someone else has posted it would be one less game at Metricon and pretty much guarantees a minimum of 5 Melbourne games a year. Might not be great for getting wins but I guess getting more MCG exposure for the team is good too

Maybe get some momentum for a traveling weekend for Brisbane supports who can. Attach it to a melbourne supporters important date/function. So Brisbane supporters supporting Melbourne supporters.

I like the idea, but think the only way it would work is if it was against a smaller interstate club - GWS, for example.

To brand it as a Lions home game but have 60, 000 Richmond fans in the place would kill the vibe a little I think. Much better if it sounds and feels like a Lions home game - although I know that would mean a much smaller crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back