Fixture 2022 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd imagine we'll cop a brutal one after two Top 2 finishes in a row. Something like this:

Bottom 6: Adelaide
Middle 6: Richmond, West Coast
Top 6: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs
I'd take that. Hopefully Melbourne, Bulldogs, West Coast and Richmond away early. Port 3-8 and Hinkley sacked. Do much better across the backend of the season and sneak into the eight under a new coach. Go anywhere or not and the team, club and supporters would be pumped for 2023 in a way we haven't been since the false dawn of 2015 when everything looked like it was coming up Milhouse.

Last edited:
I'd imagine we'll cop a brutal one after two Top 2 finishes in a row. Something like this:

Bottom 6: Adelaide
Middle 6: Richmond, West Coast
Top 6: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs

Past season, we got 4 Vic sides, plus W. Lakes:
Top-6: Saints (5th), Pies (6th)
Mid-6: Dogs (8th), Blues (11th)
Bot-6: Crows (18th)

Top-6:
Dees, Dogs, Port, Cats, Lions, Giants
Mid-6: Swans, Bombers, Eagles, Saints, Freo, Tigers
Bot-6: Blues, Hawks, Crows, Suns, Pies, Roos

If they want to screw us over, then:
- Top would be any two, but for GWS;
- Mid would be two between Swans, Eagles, and Tigers;
- Bot would be only Crows.

Basically, Marmozet, you would have:
- 16.7% chance of being on the money for the Top;
- 33.3% chance of being on the money for the Middle; and
- 100% chance of being on the money for the Bottom.

I don't think they will give us the Dogs again. They love to send us to the Cattery. Top: Dees, Cats would be my guess. They could unvic our fixture next season, giving us Mid: Swans, Eagles. West Lakes would finish the fixture.

I think we suffered this year because our draw was too soft. We were second on the table at the end of the minor round and I do not think we were that good.
No one wants the draw from hell but we do not need it too soft.

The other factor is that teams fluctuate year to year. This time last year if we had drawn West Coast and Richmond twice we would have been unhappy yet it was Melbourne and Western Bulldogs who were the jokers in the pack.

Last edited:
Past season, we got 4 Vic sides, plus W. Lakes:
Top-6: Saints (5th), Pies (6th)
Mid-6: Dogs (8th), Blues (11th)
Bot-6: Crows (18th)

Top-6:
Dees, Dogs, Port, Cats, Lions, Giants
Mid-6: Swans, Bombers, Eagles, Saints, Freo, Tigers
Bot-6: Blues, Hawks, Crows, Suns, Pies, Roos

If they want to screw us over, then:
- Top would be any two, but for GWS;
- Mid would be two between Swans, Eagles, and Tigers;
- Bot would be only Crows.

Basically, Marmozet, you would have:
- 16.7% chance of being on the money for the Top;
- 33.3% chance of being on the money for the Middle; and
- 100% chance of being on the money for the Bottom.

I don't think they will give us the Dogs again. They love to send us to the Cattery. Top: Dees, Cats would be my guess. They could unvic our fixture next season, giving us Mid: Swans, Eagles. West Lakes would finish the fixture.
Our trips to Geelong tend to correspond with how strong Geelong is. I.e. If they are weak we're not sent their often. If they are strong (or have the wood over us at least) we get sent there. Given Geelong clearly looked cooked now, with even coach clueless finally realising you run them off their feet, I expect we won't get Geelong as one of our away games.

Like everything else work from the what matters to the VFL. High drawing games for TV and Victorian premiers. With next in their thoughts having the clubs they consider the 'Big' club of the non-Victorian states at least competitive to prop up TV and crowd figures. For the VFL that's Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and West Coast. For the fixture Gold Coast, Fremantle, GWS and Port get the slops left over. Working from these givens and our form the last 2 - 3 years my double ups:

Top-6: Bulldogs, Brisbane (they'll save Melbourne's double up whilst they are premiers for all the Vic sides. When they are s**t again they'll get their usual farmed out for the poorly attended games in shitty timeslots outside Victoria)
Mid-6: West Coast - We're due for another West Coast win in dodgy circumstances at AO, Richmond - The VFL want them back up and figure we're the weak link in the top 6 to help there. Last one will be Giants or Fremantle - whichever one the VFL needs us to fill in a Sunday twilight game after they've scheduled all the games they actually care about.
Bottom-6 : Adelaide

Reckon Covid might play a role in who we play twice, so non vic and non NSW sides play against each other as much as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if double up is;

top 6, Brisbane + Melbourne or Dogs
mid 6, Eagles + Freo
bot 6, crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've tried hoping we succeed and that hasn't done sh*t.
And how does hoping we fail help?

i am not a big Hinkley fan at the moment. I am in the camp that believes we will not win a premiership with him. BUT he is OUR coach and I will support the administrators of the club in believing they have made decisions in the best interest of the club.

I can only guess at the reasoning, and it may be political, but it is what it is.

What’s short term pain in this situation though? 1 year out of finals? Multiple years? Finishing just in the 8?

What would it take before the board move on Hinkley?

If Port Adelaide miss the finals or are eliminated in the first week of the finals in 2022 then I think the board will relieve Hinkley of his duties and Port Adelaide will have a new coach in 2023.

As a supporter I've wanted Hinkley gone since the end of 2016 but my opinion holds no weight in the argument.

What would it take before the board move on Hinkley?

If Port Adelaide miss the finals or are eliminated in the first week of the finals in 2022 then I think the board will relieve Hinkley of his duties and Port Adelaide will have a new coach in 2023.

As a supporter I've wanted Hinkley gone since the end of 2016 but my opinion holds no weight in the argument.
I think it would take missing finals for him to be sacked. The question is would people rather that and potentially see the end of our window and wait a few years for another one to open with a different set of senior players and a new coach? Or have another crack and maybe fall short like we have for the last 2? I would prefer the latter.

I think it would take missing finals for him to be sacked. The question is would people rather that and potentially see the end of our window and wait a few years for another one to open with a different set of senior players and a new coach? Or have another crack and maybe fall short like we have for the last 2? I would prefer the latter.

Gut feel tells me that Port Adelaide's window is closed and may well be for a prolonged period regardless of who the coach is.
Based on expectation of performance the Western Bulldogs Preliminary Final loss was our worst finals performance in finals and thats including the 2007 Grand Final record loss. The Preliminary Final was over in 10 minutes.... I just don't see the players being mentally strong enough to overcome that shame in 2022.
The other thing that concerns me regarding Hinkley is the sporadic form of players under his reign. Players that look fantastic early in their career (Wingard and S.P.P) or have break out years (Houston and D.B.J) somehow lose their form completely under his coaching structure.
Can Rozee, Duurma, Georgiadis reach the heights that we all believe they are capable of under Hinkley, I have my doubts based on past observations.
Anyway I don't want to derail the thread.

Gut feel tells me that Port Adelaide's window is closed and may well be for a prolonged period regardless of who the coach is.
Based on expectation of performance the Western Bulldogs Preliminary Final loss was our worst finals performance in finals and thats including the 2007 Grand Final record loss. The Preliminary Final was over in 10 minutes.... I just don't see the players being mentally strong enough to overcome that shame in 2022.
The other thing that concerns me regarding Hinkley is the sporadic form of players under his reign. Players that look fantastic early in their career (Wingard and S.P.P) or have break out years (Houston and D.B.J) somehow lose their form completely under his coaching structure.
Can Rozee, Duurma, Georgiadis reach the heights that we all believe they are capable of under Hinkley, I have my doubts based on past observations.
Anyway I don't want to derail the thread.
All good, and I get your concerns. But I am slightly more optimistic than this. There is still plenty of improvement in those young boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back