Fixture 2022 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

How does that work? I thought the double ups were based on where you finished. ie, If you finish in the top 6 most of your double ups are against top 6 teams.
If you finish top 6 then most of your double up games next year are supposed to be against other finalists. How this didn't apply to WB is a mystery.

#freekickbulldogs

Outside of COVID lockdowns, we have played 7 home games at Docklands for a few years. That's the maximum number of games you can sit in your reserved seat. Away games, whether they are at the MCG or at Docklands or interstate, do not offer reserved seats. Why is next year different to previous years in your opinion?

$600 a year for 7 games, 5 of which I could happily not attend (interstate minnows etc).

It’s commercially and, fan-wise, the most insipid, uninspiring fixture I can remember.

We have 7 home games and before a ball is bowled, we know we are going to lose money on 5 of them.

This is why we need a grandstand at Arden Street, 5 of our home games this year would fit into Arden Street - now. Forget needing a grandstand.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the AFL:

******* joke of a competition.

I love an overnight trip.

Ohh this has legs

My initial thoughts, some of which have probably already been mentioned by others:

Commercially it’s the worst set of Victorian home games I can remember. Ever.

From members point of view, I’d like to see the list of 4 replacement games. Hopefully both MCG games are on it.

From on-field perspective, we’d be lucky to be 3:7 after round 10. If we do any better - we are way ahead of schedule in our build. But if we are 1:9, it wouldn’t surprise me either.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, disappointing that we play the big 4 (Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton & Essendon) once each only and then only Richmond is a home game.
The fact that it’s a deliberate assault on us by the ‘guardians of the game’ should be of no surprise to anyone.

I’ve been banging on about this for too long, but it’s a restriction of trade.

Where are the ABC and Australia Story?

This is bullshit. The fixture and FTA schedules are often completely decoupled from team success.

Carlton and Richmond have owned the season opener forever when until 2017 their crowning achievement in the previous 15 years was about 2 finals wins between then. One of which was literally between them.

Anzac Day was hardcoded to * and Collingwood in 1995 because of their massive shared team success in 1994?

Melbourne got the Queen's Birthday fixture against a big drawing Vic side locked in perpetually because... ?

Melbourne didn't leave Victoria in Round 1 for 10 years straight because.... ? We left Victoria for 50% of round 1 games for 10 year straight because...?

Etc. Etc. The AFL simply picks and chooses what they like. Team success is trotted out as a justification when it suits their argument.
All good points but I'll say this.

First of all we need to have a play anyone anywhere attitude on and off the field. Winning games and playing a good brand of watchable footy will change the fixturing in future years.

Secondly, I can't help but blame the club for where we are now. How owning Friday night football, having a strong team for most of the 90's and one of the best players in the competition of all time didn't translate into a larger membership base is bewildering.

That being said, there is an opportunity here with the list of players we have, and the people running the show now to turn things around. Admittedly I'm an optimist and think we're on the cusp of another dynasty but even a competitive team for the next decade with a few flags and some good management from the board can take us from a "small club" * I hate that term.

More members, more people watching and attending games means $ for the AFL and a better deal for the club.

I'd rather we fix that and get a less equitable run that's more profitable for the club than try and fix the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Vengence.png

The fact that it’s a deliberate assault on us by the ‘guardians of the game’ should be of no surprise to anyone.

I’ve been banging on about this for too long, but it’s a restriction of trade.

Where are the ABC and Australia Story?

Unfortunately, we need club officials speaking out before it becomes a story.
Who's going to commission a yarn about a bunch of disgruntled footy fans who feel that the league has given them a crap fixture.

This is bullshit. The fixture and FTA schedules are often completely decoupled from team success.
[...]
The AFL simply picks and chooses what they like. Team success is trotted out as a justification when it suits their argument.

I know we all want more exposure for our team, and I agree we should be lobbying for an annual showdown event against *, but just to play devil's advocate here: how are the schedules completely decoupled from team success?

Its obvious the AFL wants to earn the highest amount of revenue possible, and so it organises the fixture to maximise TV ratings and bums on seats. Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon are insured against bad performances; they'll always get a good fixture because their large supporter bases guarantee premium advertising expenditure for the networks. For the smaller Victorian clubs, we do need to perform well to get decent FTA coverage because otherwise neutrals don't care, the networks get lower ratings, and the AFL gets less revenue.

By contrast, the Dogs get a great schedule this year because everyone sees them as a top 4 contender. What's the evidence that we would be treated any differently to the Dogs or the Dees if we were in their position? Yes, I totally agree with you that we should be getting creative in finding a couple new annual blockbusters for us to schedule with the big teams in Marvel and I take your point on Melbourne's Queens Birthday match as an example of what we'd like to see more of. It would help us build our brand and build financial independence and provide an occasion for kids in the country to watch us be awesome.

But I can't see how this fixture is the commercial disaster for us some are making it out to be. For years, the AFL has been making disproportionately high distributions to small clubs like us, the Dees, the Dogs and the Saints, in compensation for the lack of ticket and advertising income we get from not being guaranteed good schedules. The lack of exposure sucks in the short term but we get the same amount of money irrespective of performance: compare the revenue figures from our annual reports pre-COVID against the Dees and the Dogs to see what I mean.

We'll always be the underdog. Its why I was attracted to the club as a young whippersnapper in country Tasmania and it makes every victory more sweet.

EDIT: Fixed attachments to show the correct page for WB and MD.

Attachments

• North Melbourne 2018-19 Revenue.pdf
    475.3 KB · Views: 104
  • MFC corrected revenue.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Western Bulldogs corrected revenue.pdf
    161.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Wait for it.
We like to thank the NMFC for hosting the Good Friday game but we have gone in a new direction with the Western Bulldogs to host Collingwood in Good Friday blockbuster at the MCG.
Got a real bad feeling that the Bulldogs will stab the NMFC in the back to push there own agenda with Collingwood,The AFL and the RCH Board right behind them backing them all the way and I wouldn’t put it past McGuire to behind it with help from Darcy.
As for McGuire his a snake charmer as for that Korda getting the boot you don’t have to be blind Fred he has something to do with this.
As for the NMFC can it become the 1st club in the history of the AFL to have 22 games on Pay TV as I can see a lot of 1:10pm ,4:45pm games next year.
The Bulldogs do have lofty ambitions way above their station. The reality is that they still are marginally a smaller club than North Melbourne that tries to act like a big club. They are rather good at looking at what North Melbourne succeeds in doing and then muscle in and poach. That said, North haven't exactly made a stellar event of the Good Friday game to date with relatively small crowds at Marvel, so it's hardly been a block buster for us. I do suspect that, that is a reflection of our on field performance over the last few years, which is unfortunate as it has not bade well for generating the interest and numbers to support the Good Friday game which the club had so long advocated for.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we need club officials speaking out before it becomes a story.
Who's going to commission a yarn about a bunch of disgruntled footy fans who feel that the league has given them a crap fixture.

I know we all want more exposure for our team, and I agree we should be lobbying for an annual showdown event against *, but just to play devil's advocate here: how are the schedules completely decoupled from team success?

Its obvious the AFL wants to earn the highest amount of revenue possible, and so it organises the fixture to maximise TV ratings and bums on seats. Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon are insured against bad performances; they'll always get a good fixture because their large supporter bases guarantee premium advertising expenditure for the networks. For the smaller Victorian clubs, we do need to perform well to get decent FTA coverage because otherwise neutrals don't care, the networks get lower ratings, and the AFL gets less revenue.

By contrast, the Dogs get a great schedule this year because everyone sees them as a top 4 contender. What's the evidence that we would be treated any differently to the Dogs or the Dees if we were in their position? Yes, I totally agree with you that we should be getting creative in finding a couple new annual blockbusters for us to schedule with the big teams in Marvel and I take your point on Melbourne's Queens Birthday match as an example of what we'd like to see more of. It would help us build our brand and build financial independence and provide an occasion for kids in the country to watch us be awesome.

But I can't see how this fixture is the commercial disaster for us some are making it out to be. For years, the AFL has been making disproportionately high distributions to small clubs like us, the Dees, the Dogs and the Saints, in compensation for the lack of ticket and advertising income we get from not being guaranteed good schedules. The lack of exposure sucks in the short term but we get the same amount of money irrespective of performance: compare the revenue figures from our annual reports pre-COVID against the Dees and the Dogs to see what I mean.

We'll always be the underdog. Its why I was attracted to the club as a young whippersnapper in country Tasmania and it makes every victory more sweet.
On the bright side, if the AFL ever shifts the Grand Final to Sunday at twilight North Melbourne will be a shoe-in to win it, cause we've certainly got that time slot sewn up ;)

Last edited:
…whilst watching Kayo on my phone
Oh who's the fancy pants now? Spending $15 per-month for Kayo access in addition to your Club Membership to watch your footy … Oooo La La :grinv1:

Last edited:
The AFL is getting back at us for finishing lasy and picking JHF and also for poaching Hugh Greenwood from their Marquee club GC...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not overly worried about a perceived harder draw this year.

Hopefully we do better than expected and the talent we’ve got coming through learns about sticking in games and pressure against good sides. Win a few unexpected games build some momentum and then smash 23 with a square up more favourable draw when we have the profile of a team that could pinch it.

I read an article on the age about disequal funding for the year ahead. Many clubs are getting funding reduced except us and the swans.

Obviously being compensated for our terrible draw
Yep, exactly. There's reasons to complain about this fixture (Victorian members don't get our biggest games included in the package, scheduling doesn't allow kids without fox to see us, etc) but I don't understand how this argument about a commercial disaster is one of them.

Financial powerhouse clubs take $8 million hit from AFL
Jake Niall

By Jake Niall

Financially powerful clubs Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and West Coast will receive only the guaranteed minimum of $8 million per club in 2022, a reduction of $2 million on this year’s allocation, under the AFL’s new funding model.
In adopting a new funding model that reduced the “base” amount for clubs from $10 million to
$8 million, the AFL has singled out those four wealthy clubs to lose all the $2 million per club that the league has put in a pot for redistribution.

Richmond and Collingwood will get reduced funding from the AFL.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Under the new “variable” funding model, industry sources said Essendon were expected to receive up to half - $1 million or so - of their lost $2 million for a total package approaching $9 million, and are in the next band of relatively prosperous clubs who do not get the full $2 million back, while Carlton - a club with the capacity to be a financial heavyweight - expect to be funded to the tune of around $10 million, essentially getting back most or all of the $2 million every club initially loses.
Under the redistribution, expansion clubs Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast are set to be given a larger share of the allocation to the 18 clubs, compared to 2021 - a measure of the AFL’s investment in those clubs and the time it will take for them to become independent.

Premiership has flush Melbourne ready to rock the MCG in 2022
The expansion teams have consistently been funded to the tune of more than $20 million, covering their player payments and most of the soft cap, over the past several years, except for the COVID-curtailed 2020, when AFL revenue shrank.
Of the $36 million the AFL has taken from all clubs, more than $26 million will be re-allocated to 14 of the 18 clubs, on a needs basis - a move that has already drawn the ire of Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, the Eagles and Essendon.
The loss of $2 million each to the first four of those four clubs means that, in effect, as one source from a wealthy club pointed out, there will be a gap exceeding $6 million each year between what the AFL provides to the richer clubs and the total player payments (TPP). In the past, the AFL fully funded the player payments.
The AFL will retain between $8 million and $10 million from that $36 million pot, which will be re-directed to clubs that have special needs during 2022 - a plan that is mindful of the unequal and unpredictable impact of the pandemic upon clubs in different states.

‘Debt free’: A year after losing $6m, the Swans are off the AFL drip
The AFL view is that the greatly reduced football department costs (the soft cap is still more than $3 million below the 2019 total of $9.7 million) means the rich clubs have been more profitable in 2021 and can afford the funding cuts.
North Melbourne and Sydney are slated to have their funding slightly increased in 2022.
But most AFL clubs will receive a little less in the first instance. Grand finalists Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are set to have their overall funding reduced - both clubs having stronger balance sheets than ever before, having enjoyed on-field success and sold their pokie venues for excellent prices, the Demons selling the Bentleigh Club for $23.7 million this year.
St Kilda, which has been easily the greatest recipient of AFL funding of Victorian clubs over the previous four years - topping $20 million in 2017, 2018 and 2019 - will also have their funding reduced compared to the already reduced 2021 outlay. The Saints have, however, cut their debt, which had topped $12 million at one stage.
The Brisbane Lions, who have recovered strongly from a fiscally fraught position and made a profit to $3 million this year, are expected to receive about the same as they did in 2021.

The Swans offer an example of how the pandemic hits clubs differently, depending on whether games are played in their state before crowds. They lost $6.1 million in 2020 due to the COVID-19’s impact on their largely crowd-free home games, but have fared far better to record a small profit this year.
The AFL has shed about $700 million in revenue over the course of the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, forcing major cost cuttings and wiping out their cash reserves and future fund but avoiding any debt.

Normally I don’t care bout the fixture, and clearly understand that when you finish bottom no one cares except the fans of that team, but bugger me I can’t remember a team (any team) having a fixture as bad as ours EVER..club need to speak up and show some balls, regardless of us finishing last…
best way to get back at the AFL is simply over perform and win games……as Teddy would say ….stick it right up ‘em………

Normally I don’t care bout the fixture, and clearly understand that when you finish bottom no one cares except the fans of that team, but bugger me I can’t remember a team (any team) having a fixture as bad as ours EVER..club need to speak up and show some balls, regardless of us finishing last…
best way to get back at the AFL is simply over perform and win games……as Teddy would say ….stick it right up ‘em………
is it? i haven't seen any analysis (flawed though most of it is) that even suggests it's the hardest.

We've got an increase in MCG games, small increase but it's there. Our doubles ups could be far, far worse. A match in Darwin instead of GC, I see that as an improvement myself. A game against geelong that isn't in their shitty stadium.

I feel like we've had worse. Let alone whether another club has, but then who gives a crap about other clubs and their woes.

We can complain about the commercial viability of the fixture but to be honest the best way to fix it is to start winning and playing good footy. From that perspective I am happy with the 5 double up games. It’s no coincidence the team that finished bottom 2 the last 2 years is the team used to shuffle and accomodate the others each week. That will change if we start winning.
Doubt it as we are the NMFC.
The best way to handle this let Channel 7 do all there PR with us for the Good Friday game like room and player access and hopefully once that game is over Blackball Channel 7
With anything involving our club no player interviews no club access.
Tell them to F:ck off especially those 2 F:cking C:nts Roaming💩Taylor and My💩hit doesn’t stink Darcy.

So the 5 teams that finished higher than us, have easier draws than us next year. Ridiculous.

This fixture is commercially brutal at the same time as being unfair based on ladder positions (btw: the latter not an AFL policy I agree with - but its their policy). The AFL can go and get ****ed.

the AFL always rewards the teams who perform the previous years and unfortunately the supposed big supporting clubs. When we show what we are about this season it should equate to more prime time viewing.
Noble wants to play exciting footy and with this stacked midfield we will be definitely be on track to do this.
Perform and the rest will follow.

The club bean counters will be in the foetal position after seeing that fixture.

From a personal point of view, I couldn’t give a rat’s arse who we play, where we play or when we play. If we’re good enough we’ll win some games, if not I’ll be looking for the next JHF by Rd 11.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back