2022 fixture.

So 6 matches in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong on the week off for the men prior to their Round 1.

It will be interesting to see whether it is possible to attend all 7 games even with a quarter or 2 missed due to travelling time.
Yeah, hopefully no clashes. I'm gonna try make it to the Geelong game, I promised a friend.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Spewin' we can't get back at Brissy for last year at Vic Park.

In other news ... Vic Park is looking and feeling really good at the moment. Goal squares and the middle are roped off for repair but not a biggy, they'll be cherry ripe soon enough. Had a kick yesterday and it's best it's been for quite some time.

The benches are still being totally replaced. Not sure if this is part of the planned maintence fix up they have done to all the seats and club rooms over the last 2 years or there's extra thought put in for covid spacing on the benches (or whatever) because it certainly doesn't seem to be a "unscrew and bang something down" type deal.

Benches are in but not finished (from last Sunday 4.12.21)

Ugh! .... I wish they didn't install glass on the top as would give quite a bit of respite from the glarring sun if it wasn't transparent regardless if you're a player, coach or just in general public use. I use them all the time to get out of the sun. It's not as though it's a needed either so people from behind can see top down through... not for the numbers going anyway.

1638844891629.png

1638844963532.png

1638844985509.png

1638845009065.png

I have no clue about glass but presumed it's shatter resistant etcs

Anyway .....took a pic of the symbol and looked it up for those interested? (https://www.glassaustralia.com/glass-information)

1638845029117.png

Benches are in but not finished (from last Sunday 4.12.21)

Ugh! .... I wish they didn't install glass on the top as would give quite a bit of respite from the glarring sun if it wasn't transparent regardless if you're a player, coach or just in general public use. I use them all the time to get out of the sun. It's not as though it's a needed either so people from behind can see top down through... not for the numbers going anyway.

Given those benches are on the northern side of the oval and in the shade of the Ryder stand, the glass roof design would be optimal for winter use. With the sun low in the northern sky, it’d be good to let as much light in there as possible and not be so pokey.

With the VFL and VFLW using the ground in the winter months, and AFLW using the ground in the summer months, I guess they haven’t designed it with our senior women in mind. Or maybe they expect the senior women’s game to move to the winter months.

Or the builder / designer could have simply followed the AFL trend (rather than the bus stop shelter trend) and built a glass roofed bench.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Or the builder / designer could have simply followed the AFL trend (rather than the bus stop shelter trend) and built a glass roofed bench.

Yeah I reckon they just followed the bouncing ball on this one, which on paper makes sense to upgrade to the latest standards. I personally just pointed it out coz I train there and the AFLW will cop it during the heat and so will the public. I think you maybe right though that down the track the AFLW may play in Winter too, which would be grouse of potentially having a game there every week of rotating VFL, VFLW and AFLW.

New sprinklers being tested last Thursday too.

I hope they spend money on making public dunnies. Portaloos are ok for game day I guess but if they really are investing in the ground for games and the public usage, then I hope they do dunnies.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Bench update .... there are actual benches in now.

Blue plastic still on it.
1639340160192.png

1639340211183.png

power boxes in (and locked). And I'm picking it now,but in summer they'll have at least 1 wet fan going coz yesterday was only 28 and under that glass roof I could notice the heat difference. Chuck in a bench full of players and support staff on a hot sunny day and yeah, it'll be very warm indeed.

1639340552938.png

Player view from sitting on bench
1639340065200.png

Player view sitting from bench. Having the bench reset back into seating area is a great move.

1639340113768.png

Fake grass in front of each bench which they had this with the previous setup too. I'm a bit surprised it's not wider or at the very least has more depth up nearish to the boundary. There's more space for players / staff, therefore will be more foot traffic in general.

1639340489923.png

Bench update .... there are actual benches in now.

Blue plastic still on it.
View attachment 1296400

View attachment 1296401

power boxes in (and locked). And I'm picking it now,but in summer they'll have at least 1 wet fan going coz yesterday was only 28 and under that glass roof I could notice the heat difference. Chuck in a bench full of players and support staff on a hot sunny day and yeah, it'll be very warm indeed.

View attachment 1296403
Player view from sitting on bench
View attachment 1296398

Player view sitting from bench. Having the bench reset back into seating area is a great move.

View attachment 1296399

Fake grass in front of each bench which they had this with the previous setup too. I'm a bit surprised it's not wider or at the very least has more depth up nearish to the boundary. There's more space for players / staff, therefore will be more foot traffic in general.

View attachment 1296402

Thank you for these updates.

Please tell me that the electronic scoreboard - which I’ve seen working once in ten years - has also been replaced.😋

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Thank you for these updates.

Please tell me that the electronic scoreboard - which I’ve seen working once in ten years - has also been replaced.😋
lol ... yeah that's a very, very good call. I can't see anything being done and they probably might revert to have the mobile traffic display up, which I think has only happened a few times. Certainly can't recall it being there for VFLW games. Hmmm? ... maybe a community fundraiser if the council haven't planned for it?

I was at Vic Park again today and the sprinklers were being tested and the poor groundsmen was having a tough time. The sprinklers would go for 1 min and then off again..... and this was across the ground. I asked what the issue was and he didn't know. It's not a new system (as I had thought) but the old one still in place. The issue was the old grounds keep had retired and left with all the knowledge on how it works - doh! I said "can you turn the power off to reset them or something?" He laughed and said "they are off and it's still doing this!!" lol. He was waiting for the plumber to come out.

Anyway we chatted for a little bit about the ground and I remarked how great it's looking and feeling. He said the goal lines are a little bit under but should be ok. I asked about the benches and what the story was? So, the council pay for it and get money back from the AFL, and it's an AFL approved supplier. The groundskeeper is really annoyed with them because they are 3 weeks over already and was promised the ground would be alright. eek! Poor bloke because they were digging alot. I'll save what he said but he wasn't happy about it understandably and it won't be AFL standard which is a real shame because it aint his fault.

He also gave his 2 cents about the glass roof without me mentioning it. He couldn't believe it either. When he questioned why? ... the reply was, "they" can put up cloth up over it on game day and there will be some boards that the cloth can attach to. er???? ...... wtf?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2007
Gladstone Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
lol ... yeah that's a very, very good call. I can't see anything being done and they probably might revert to have the mobile traffic display up, which I think has only happened a few times. Certainly can't recall it being there for VFLW games. Hmmm? ... maybe a community fundraiser if the council haven't planned for it?

I was at Vic Park again today and the sprinklers were being tested and the poor groundsmen was having a tough time. The sprinklers would go for 1 min and then off again..... and this was across the ground. I asked what the issue was and he didn't know. It's not a new system (as I had thought) but the old one still in place. The issue was the old grounds keep had retired and left with all the knowledge on how it works - doh! I said "can you turn the power off to reset them or something?" He laughed and said "they are off and it's still doing this!!" lol. He was waiting for the plumber to come out.

Anyway we chatted for a little bit about the ground and I remarked how great it's looking and feeling. He said the goal lines are a little bit under but should be ok. I asked about the benches and what the story was? So, the council pay for it and get money back from the AFL, and it's an AFL approved supplier. The groundskeeper is really annoyed with them because they are 3 weeks over already and was promised the ground would be alright. eek! Poor bloke because they were digging alot. I'll save what he said but he wasn't happy about it understandably and it won't be AFL standard which is a real shame because it aint his fault.

He also gave his 2 cents about the glass roof without me mentioning it. He couldn't believe it either. When he questioned why? ... the reply was, "they" can put up cloth up over it on game day and there will be some boards that the cloth can attach to. er???? ...... wtf?

On the roof, a few cans of black paint couple of brushes grab a mate then a midnight raid all will be fixed

(get caught I'm sure your AFLW bigfooty brethren will start a gofundme page to pay the fine ;) )

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given those benches are on the northern side of the oval and in the shade of the Ryder stand, the glass roof design would be optimal for winter use. With the sun low in the northern sky, it’d be good to let as much light in there as possible and not be so pokey.

With the VFL and VFLW using the ground in the winter months, and AFLW using the ground in the summer months, I guess they haven’t designed it with our senior women in mind. Or maybe they expect the senior women’s game to move to the winter months.

Could add a film over the glass to reduce UV and glare if it’s an issue.

Tickets for first two games go on today at 10.00am.

Still waiting for barcode from AFL so paying the $10 entrance for each game, not a lot given I am starved of not watching live footy.

Anyone else going?

Hope to be!!

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Tickets for first two games go on today at 10.00am.

Still waiting for barcode from AFL so paying the $10 entrance for each game, not a lot given I am starved of not watching live footy.

Anyone else going?

Not sure with Round 1 as yet but yes for round 2.

Anyone going this Saturday. https://www.womens.afl/news/77607/p...554.147165177.1639530965-404893808.1625364437

Like all practice matches .... no injuries for either side please. Other than that I'd love to see the continued confidence we play with and also would love to see Frederick settle in and kick a couple. If Frederick finds her form and plays her role, then on paper, our backs, mids / utils and forwards are looking very strong indeed. Very exciting!

Not sure with Round 1 as yet but yes for round 2.

Anyone going this Saturday. https://www.womens.afl/news/77607/p...554.147165177.1639530965-404893808.1625364437

Like all practice matches .... no injuries for either side please. Other than that I'd love to see the continued confidence we play with and also would love to see Frederick settle in and kick a couple. If Frederick finds her form and plays her role, then on paper, our backs, mids / utils and forwards are looking very strong indeed. Very exciting!

Frederick is an interesting addition. If it works, Molloy could run rampant (or more rampant😁).

That’s potentially a very cool idea (pardon the pun) …

If there is a way to keep the cloth wet (eg: troughs and wicking cloth, or more likely a spray hose) then it could behave like a Coolgardie Safe (ie: evaporative cooling). I’d be keen to hear if that’s what they’ve implanted. I’ve been wondering for years why that tech is not being used.

Potentially a great idea for gameday, but not much help for community use.

I had to get GA for the St Kilda game but Legends stand at the enemies ground.

Maybe see you there?
Looks like its all GA for vic park chose the ryder stand, as I like sitting there, so guess with no zones, you can sit anywhere
I got legends too for Ikon park, but thats GA too, so suppose the same applies?

Looks like its all GA for vic park chose the ryder stand, as I like sitting there, so guess with no zones, you can sit anywhere
I got legends too for Ikon park, but thats GA too, so suppose the same applies?
Not sure about movement as once at Vic Park I had GA and security wouldn't even let me crossover (2 metres away) to buy food from the van there.:(

Legends should be okay though as same stand.

Not sure about movement as once at Vic Park I had GA and security wouldn't even let me crossover (2 metres away) to buy food from the van there.:(

Legends should be okay though as same stand.
This was pre-covid? Yeah I can't even remember that far back now Haha. We'll see.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Bit of a Vic Park ground update for those interested.

I had a kick yesterday and the ground is playing pretty darn good. The grass is getting a lot of attention / love and is currently lush which is too high for a proper game though it's been cut high deliberately I say. Last week the tractor was going all over the ground putting deep puncture marks which paid off because we had the massive down pour on Friday. I suspect they'll do a proper cut soon enough and then the lines painted on.

The centre is still roped off but the goals squares are open. A few holes here and there but I don't think you'd notice on TV that much and there shouldn't be any issues for the players. The advertising signs were being put up around the boundary yesterday and the general clean up in the stands.

One really, really odd thing I noticed yesterday that I've never seen or experienced. After a few mins, I noticed my dog had a green / blue colour on her paws. WTF!? There was no obvious area where this came from. I suspect it's maybe a wee dye in the grass but it's certainly no way obvious at ground level. check out my boots too.

Not the best of photos with the grey background ..... but it was quite noticable.
1641851671608.png

But these show what I'm talking about ....

1641851728074.png

Pics from Friday prior to the down pour.....

1641851932252.png

Probably the worst area on the ground.

1641851979347.png

There's still come temp fencing that needs to go or fix up to make it safe for players and crowd.

1641852005220.png

In some places it looks burnt and dried out but it's not at all.
1641852031849.png

Back