Prediction 2022 Flag Will Be Our Sweetest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should absolutely be pushing for top4 with that run home. Can’t afford to drop any though which means we could be spent when we actually make finals
theres a bye after the season , and we are seasoned campaigners

It will be difficult from here after having a look at the fixture.
We still have Carl, Geel, GC(a), Freo, Bris, Port(a) to come, and usually 15 wins is needed to make the top 4, so that means we will have to win 8/10 with an aging list with aging bodies and further injuries a possibility with not much in the way of depth.
Of course it could still be won from outside the top 4 if we can get an advantageous run through finals (Vic teams etc), and with Hawks and Ess the last 2 rounds we could still use the preloaded hard training block to peak for finals, although Hawks could be a problem R22 if we're vulnerable.
Either way we're still in it as of now, and if we have no major injuries to key players we still could reach a level of form high enough to win enough games and put ourselves into a position to have a realistic chance of winning it.

All we have to do is no Jekkyl and Hyde and we will win by 30+
unfortunately thats not enough with how much we are reamed

we used to beat the umps as well as the oppo but they ream even harder now

Bad umpiring hasn’t helped but this is nothing new. We have been battling against the umpires for more than a decade. We need someone who is good at drawing free kicks. The only season in the last 10 years that we have won a free kick count, was 2015 and that’s when Anthony Miles played every game and drew more Free kicks than anyone else in the competition! If we could at least break even with our opponents in this area, we would win most of our games going forward

Kane Cornes has changed his tune, reckons we are a shot to win it all

1655010016810.gif

A few comments above about aging bodies and fatigue.

We've only had seven players play all 12 games - Short, Rioli, Broad, Baker, Bolton, Nankervis and Edwards. Of those seven I think the first five should be able to play a 25/26 game season with no hassles. Edwards did "play" a game but was the medi-sub and sat on the bench for most of it.

Cotchin, Graham and Castagna have now played all but one game. Cotchin had a rest and Castagna played in the ressies, but I think Cotchin should be the only one who may need a further week off as finals approach.

Lynch is missing games now to re-hab his hamstring, but that will also freshen him up. Prestia has missed games in two stints, which will hopefully help him stay the season and I don't think Jack plays a game that bashes him up. Dusty of course missed a bunch of games early and has otherwise proved extremely durable physically across his entire career. Older players Grimes, Pickett and Vlastuin have only played 8, 8 and 7 games.

My point being a lot of them have had a week or two off nayway to help keep the body fresh.

That's 17 regular players. Whoever you pick for the other seven they're all young enough to not really need a week off to freshen up, and have had shortened seasons anyway.

My big concern is more to do with who gets injured and when. Lambert is crucial, we need to manage him and not risk him a longer term stint on the sidelines. If he needs a week off he gets it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give us absolutely no chance because we don’t have the strategic advantage of our golden era.
Every single star needs to align. We are full strength, that is one. Now we just need to find something within ourselves to rise up again. It’s fire in the belly, every gym session, it’s that last dance.

Heart says yes head says no.

Next two weeks are telling

Don't need to win by much, or win pretty - but we do wanna bank the wins to keep the top 4 open

However, I wouldn't put it past us to come from the bottom 4 either

Would be thrilled to eat my words here but without our 2017-2020 game plan and the ageing of our stars it just seems 'pie in the sky' stuff. Once again though would love to be wrong.
Yep and I'm a bit the same. Will still hold out hope for a top4. But we would need to improve in the second half of season.
Edit: a win on Thursday would be a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back