Prediction 2022 Flag Will Be Our Sweetest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can smell the fear. And the bloke who wears no4 will be getting interested in proceedings as we ease into our happy spot of 3rd in the last round.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Stats, the way we play, the pressure etc. All of it looks like our Premiership years IMO. Especially since the bye, teams have been suffocated by our pressure.

I’m excited to see how this will unfold, but I’m optimistic. Our current form is what we’ve become accustomed to seeing over the last 5 years.

Win this week and I'll start to hope. Win against Freo and Brisbane and I'll start to believe.

To me, it's as much about the balance of developing our youth as it is about keeping our aging stars on the field. This is Lambert's last year, and very well could be our Captain Courageous' last as well. Finding players to take there spots is one thing. Finding players to maintain our culture, give us leadership when times a tough and motivate those around them, is another. This is why I think this season is our last realistic swing at a flag before we take a dip. In all likelihood, Jack, Grimes and Dusty only have 2 or 3 left in them too.

But, our success this year is not purely off the back of our experienced players. In fact, most of it has been from our next tier. Balta, Baker and Bolton are already in our top 10 players. Soldo, Nank, Short, Rioli/s, Ralph-Smith, Ross, Dow and Miller are all solid role players....and then there are our 'super crop' - Gibcus, Clarke, Sonsie, Banks and Brown who are already showing plenty.

So, we are not going to fall off the face of the earth anytime soon with the depth we have but we do need to keep striking while the iron is hot and push for the flag now while we do have Cotch, Dusty, Jack, Grimes, Lambert, Lynch and even Broad. Once they leave, the hunt needs to start in earnest for our next stars so we can go again with Dynasty 2! :grinning:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win this week and I'll start to hope. Win against Freo and Brisbane and I'll start to believe.

To me, it's as much about the balance of developing our youth as it is about keeping our aging stars on the field. This is Lambert's last year, and very well could be our Captain Courageous' last as well. Finding players to take there spots is one thing. Finding players to maintain our culture, give us leadership when times a tough and motivate those around them, is another. This is why I think this season is our last realistic swing at a flag before we take a dip. In all likelihood, Jack, Grimes and Dusty only have 2 or 3 left in them too.

But, our success this year is not purely off the back of our experienced players. In fact, most of it has been from our next tier. Balta, Baker and Bolton are already in our top 10 players. Soldo, Nank, Short, Rioli/s, Ralph-Smith, Ross, Dow and Miller are all solid role players....and then there are our 'super crop' - Gibcus, Clarke, Sonsie, Banks and Brown who are already showing plenty.

So, we are not going to fall off the face of the earth anytime soon with the depth we have but we do need to keep striking while the iron is hot and push for the flag now while we do have Cotch, Dusty, Jack, Grimes, Lambert, Lynch and even Broad. Once they leave, the hunt needs to start in earnest for our next stars so we can go again with Dynasty 2! :grinning:

I agree. But this year is a sweet year to have that final shot. Demons only really genuine contenders. Others are flaky or not quite ready. If we hit our straps at the right time we could take this year out.

Our 5 years out future has lots of holes. But a good pick up or two could give us ongoing contention. If we can swing a top end mid for next year then our midfield can keep soldiering on for a while whilst the kids become men.

As long as Lynch stays fit our forward line will work for a few more years.

Backline looks good for the next 5 years at least. In fact too many KPDs. So try Gibcus forward this year I hope. Maybe Miller - too good to play VFL.

Keep getting games into younger guys whilst staying up and building the culture we might just transition into another period of having a youngish side that is a contender. I suspect that is the aim. Hard to do. But if we get it right we'll just keep trucking for another 5 - 8 years.

The hunt should already be & is already on, Get them ready to take over for when the older guys hang the boots up

That was the best game this decade (at least). Old Richmond would never have come back hard, from 47-12. Without our best player (Prestia) and two of our best leaders (Cotchin and Lambert). We won’t be old again, if we can keep Bolton, Short and Baker together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back