No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Qatar airlines sponsorship.

Have seen the whole Bachar Houli argument being used a lot.

A few things:

1. Bachar Houli is not an Imam or chair equivalent in his mosque
2. There has never been anything reported to be said or written by him in regards to his religious beliefs or attitudes toward LGBTQIA crowd.
3. The false equalency to "Houli is a part of Islamic faith therefore homophobe" can easily be then transferred to any holder of any Abrahmic faith. So by that logic, only agnostic or atheists should be in representational roles.

If you cannot see why it may be construed as a conflict of interest to have Thorburn a chair of City on a Hill church and Essendon Football club whilst not renouncing the previous pastors sermons, then I cannot help you.
Likewise I cannot accept or take your opinion seriously based on your first sentence.

Likewise I cannot accept or take your opinion seriously based on your first sentence.

Re read first sentence and did not quote or express myself well.

Should have read 'I agree with you in regard to the Qatar sponsorship"

I do not believe I am that flexible with mental gymnastics to hold both of those opinions at once.

Re read first sentence and did not quote or express myself well.

Should have read 'I agree with you in regard to the Qatar sponsorship"

I do not believe I am that flexible with mental gymnastics to hold both of those opinions at once.
All I'm saying is that the AFL, like many on here, is cherry picking issues to suit the current narrative in certain parts of the media.

Suddenly being a Christian means one is fair game.
What happened to diversity?
Like seriously.

Hopefully the AFL doesn’t face a scenario where a player (let’s say AFLW) refuses to play in pride round due to their religion and subsequent views on homosexuality…oh wait.
Well this is my whole point.
On one hand we are told to be tolerant of all.
Nek minett.

I lived in Doha for a couple of years.

Our club taking money from Qatar troubles me. I’m actually not sure why it hasn’t been queried more in the press.

Not to mention the shameful promotion leading up to the LGBT game with the Saints.

Surely there is another sponsor that doesnt share the view homosexual men be beheaded or thrown off buildings because of their sexual orientation.

All I'm saying is that the AFL, like many on here, is cherry picking issues to suit the current narrative in certain parts of the media.

Suddenly being a Christian means one is fair game.
What happened to diversity?
Like seriously.

Being Christian is not the issue here Ted, either you know that and are being deliberately obtuse or you've completely missed the point.

Being Christian is not the issue here Ted, either you know that and are being deliberately obtuse or you've completely missed the point.
My point is purely about the acceptance of some religious beliefs over others.
Starting with our club accepting money from an airline who represents everything many of you guys condemn. Rightly so too.

My point is purely about the acceptance of some religious beliefs over others.
Starting with our club accepting money from an airline who represents everything many of you guys condemn. Rightly so too.

I don't accept bigots or homophobes, hope that's ok with you.

No one I've seen has said "The sponsorship with Qatar is great", but not accepting the appointment of someone who chairs a group specifically condemning and opposing women's rights and people of other sexualities is a pretty clear line in the sand for an organisation, no? Your whataboutism is tiring.

To try to bring Houli into it is just laughable.

Anyway.
Enough from me.
I respect everyone no matter what.
Carry on.
I respect people who aren't hateful. People can believe what they want but if that belief is filled with hate I can't respect that. Especially using ones religion to spread that hate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't accept bigots or homophobes, hope that's ok with you.

No one I've seen has said "The sponsorship with Qatar is great", but not accepting the appointment of someone who chairs a group specifically condemning and opposing women's rights and people of other sexualities is a pretty clear line in the sand for an organisation, no? Your whataboutism is tiring.

To try to bring Houli into it is just laughable.
So accepting money from a family who decrees the death penalty for homosexuality doesn’t cross a “line in the sand” …. but employing a bloke who belongs to a wacky church does.

The progressive element confuses me at times.

That's not offensive to me. It's your opinion which is fine.
That you are unhappy that I am "taking up pages of this thread" is offensive.

If you think supporting a bigot is a good venture then go for your life.

So accepting money from a family who decrees the death penalty for homosexuality doesn’t cross a “line in the sand” …. but employing a bloke who belongs to a wacky church does.

The progressive element confuses me at times.

I guess the confusion is your own doing as I have no idea what you're on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back