No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I reckon it probably deserved a week given the way the duty of care is interpreted these days.

The duty of care line is probably the most hilarious running joke in footy.

The issue with the concept of "duty of care" is that it implies there's an element of choice in these situations. If Rowbottom could choose his actions in this situation, and chose the course of action that could've caused the most harm, that basically makes him a violent thug.

Does anyone believe Rowbottom is a violent thug? If he had full control over his actions and still chose the harmful course, then I say he is. Any player who chooses to take a harmful action instead of one that avoids harm is dirty in my eyes.

The only way he couldn't be a violent thug is if he didn't have full control over his actions. In which case why the heck are we suspending players for actions that were out of their control?

It won't teach them a lesson. Next time Rowbottom is in an uncontrollable situation, he will still have no control over his actions. So his week spent on the sideline will not have any bearing whatsoever on his actions in that next situation.

Duty of care = not achieved. Waste of time.

It's a crock of s**t, and if the AFL is serious about protecting the head, they need to forget about these incidental cases where they're punishing players for having no control in uncontrollable situations, and instead inflict far more severe penalties for the completely deliberate ones.

Like Tom Lynch choosing to swing his elbows around like a drunk man trying to put on a sweater. And getting off scot free.

Also I just read the Tribunal's justification, and these two sentences were literally used in the same justification:

"A player can bump with a front-on action such as occurred here."

&

"We acknowledge Rowbottom's crossed or braced arms may have reduced the impact."

The people deciding who plays and who doesn't every week literally think "reducing impact" and "bumping" can be the same thing.

The sport is in a hole.

Nah, I reckon it probably deserved a week given the way the duty of care is interpreted these days.

Look at the number of marks taken where someone gets kneed in the back of the head, and then come back to me.

Look at the number of marks taken where someone gets kneed in the back of the head, and then come back to me.
AFL has an unofficial "rule of cool"

Ben Rutten should show that footage of Scomo playing soccer at training tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Updated fixture
Sat July 2 Essendon MCG 1 45PM
Fri July 8 Footscray SCG 7 50pm
Sat July 16 Fremantle OPTUS 5 30 PERTH TIME.
Sat July 23 Adelaide SCG 1 45
Who are Footscray?!! Not all of us were born and bred in bloody Melbourne...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back