No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's not a popular figure on here but BT on the Dyl and Friends podcast was fascinating. Unbelievably honest, almost to a fault (there are a few cringeworthy moments that aren't exactly PC) but he has some really interesting insights. The three most illuminating topics were his opinions on recruiters and the draft age, his recollection of working with McAvaney (he clearly has enormous respect for him) and his defence of Roaming Brian.

Less appealing is his narrow-mindedness on the kind of players he likes to call and those he doesn't.

But still, honest as ever. Really good listen if anyone's interested.

I know he's not a popular figure on here but BT on the Dyl and Friends podcast was fascinating. Unbelievably honest, almost to a fault (there are a few cringeworthy moments that aren't exactly PC) but he has some really interesting insights. The three most illuminating topics were his opinions on recruiters and the draft age, his recollection of working with McAvaney (he clearly has enormous respect for him) and his defence of Roaming Brian.

Less appealing is his narrow-mindedness on the kind of players he likes to call and those he doesn't.

But still, honest as ever. Really good listen if anyone's interested.
“ The kick down the line to
Gawn and Cox 2 of the best big men
In the competition “

Really Brian ? Cox one of the best big men in the competition?

Talks off the top of an empty head. Moron.

Probably been mentioned but the longer this year goes the more apparent it is becoming that someone is going to pinch a flag this year. Anyone who makes the top 8 will be a chance.

My only beef with Bailey Smith is that I have it on very good authority that he's a See You in the Northern Territory. If he was actually a good bloke it'd make it a little easier to skim over these indiscretions.

The whole thing just reeks of fake naivety all around, which is why I didn't really care about the story.

A) Tons of players would be doing coke or other drugs regularly, Smith was just unlucky/dumb enough to get caught on camera.
B) If any player was going to be found doing drugs in their off time, Smith would not be low on the list of speculative options.

I suppose it's a big deal, but only if you really think this isn't a regular occurance already.

2 game suspension says it all really.

I've found the issue of low crowds at matches this year quite interesting. Everyone seems to have a different theory as to what is causing the dip in attendances.

So far I've seen:
  • Pricing
  • Fixturing
  • Impracticality of booking
  • Post-lockdown hibernation
  • Transport (or lack thereof)
  • Rule changes
  • Umpiring
  • Television coverage superior

...among others.

I feel like if there are that many reasons being floated around then they are probably all part of the cause? If enough people each with an individual reason to not want to go to the footy stop going to the footy, then they will all combine to lead to significantly lower crowds.

Umpiring is not a real reason imo. It's a general whinge that gets thrown in. Umpires have been enemies of fans since the dawn of the game and that hasn't changed at all so why would only now the crowds start dropping because of umpiring?

If so, the AFL can mostly blame the media for hyperfocusing on umpiring so much over the last 5 or so years to the point that it's reached critical mass and the umpires get more attention and criticism than most players every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Gawn missing a month or so is absolutely s**t for the game.

The whole thing just reeks of fake naivety all around, which is why I didn't really care about the story.

A) Tons of players would be doing coke or other drugs regularly, Smith was just unlucky/dumb enough to get caught on camera.
B) If any player was going to be found doing drugs in their off time, Smith would not be low on the list of speculative options.

I suppose it's a big deal, but only if you really think this isn't a regular occurance already.

2 game suspension says it all really.

just a reminder of the hypocrisy involved with the handling of the west coast "issues" going back to the mid 2000s ... i think swans supporters particularly will have painful memories, frustration, anger, etc

Umpiring is not a real reason imo. It's a general whinge that gets thrown in. Umpires have been enemies of fans since the dawn of the game and that hasn't changed at all so why would only now the crowds start dropping because of umpiring?

If so, the AFL can mostly blame the media for hyperfocusing on umpiring so much over the last 5 or so years to the point that it's reached critical mass and the umpires get more attention and criticism than most players every game.

which makes it ironic that if crowds are down, people will be watching on tv, and being forced to cop the ultra focus of commentators on umpiring calls and non-calls
this problem has been in rugby league for years, commentators (and, as follows, players and in particular coaches), but it's become almost as prevalent in the afl ... i've said before, taylor, darcy and brayshaw probably the worst, but most of them do it ... their first instinct in any given moment is to question a decision ... some of them just keep flogging it, going back to replays sometimes a minute or more later ...
and the worst aspect of it is most of these dunderheads never admit they were wrong, even if replays clearly justify the call/non-call

Last edited:
which makes it ironic that if crowds are down, people will be watching on tv, and being forced to cop the ultra focus of commentators on umpiring calls and non-calls
this problem has been in rugby league for years, commentators (and, as follows, players and in particular coaches), but it's become almost as prevalent in the afl ... i've said before, taylor, darcy and brayshaw probably the worst, but most of them do it ... their first instinct in any given moment is to question a decision ... some of them just keep flogging it, going back to replays sometimes a minute or more later ...
and the worst aspect of it is most of these dunderheads never admit they were wrong, even if replays clearly justify the call/non-call
"Dunderheads"?!? You are too easy on them, sir. Why, I would go as far as to call them nincompoops!

Used to hate Boomer Harvey against us , but always admired how good he was even in his 1st game for the Big V . His acceptance of the HOF was humble and very good . He was also on SEN just before and was just as good.
He talked about how you never see kids playing any sort of game in the streets these days , very sad

Used to hate Boomer Harvey against us , but always admired how good he was even in his 1st game for the Big V . His acceptance of the HOF was humble and very good . He was also on SEN just before and was just as good.
He talked about how you never see kids playing any sort of game in the streets these days , very sad
I remember his first game for the V. Amazing performance.

I was massively surprised they didn't give him another year. He was still earning his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back