No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Seeing there is a bit of chat about Cameron/Geelong I thought I'd take a (relatively) quick look at whether Geelong may again have an issue come finals time.
They are two games clear at the top of the table, with a 10% advantage over the next best (ourselves in 2nd), so clearly they have done well thus far in the season.

Us plebs don't get to see all the pressure stats, but one we do get is Inside 50 tackles.

Prior to the Rd 16 clash v Essendon I referred to the importance I place on the I50 tackle count to help determine how a team is travelling (particulalry Sydney).
In recent years at the end of the H&A season the ladder ladders achieved these positions with regard to the I50 tackle count;
2021 Melb 1st, 2020 Port 1st, 2019 Geelong 6th, 2018 Richmond 4th, 2017 Adelaide 5th.

Leading into the Essendon match we were 11th for the I50 tackle count. We have now moved to #1 for the competition (and rank 2nd behind Adelaide for overall tackles).
Of the other current top 8 the ranking for the teams for the I50 stat are;
Melbourne 2nd, Collingwood 4th, Carlton 5th, Freo 6th, Brisbane 8th, Richmond well down in 15th.

Geelong are 16th, only above WCE and NM.

The Cats position at the end of the H&A season in recent years and I50 tackle count , 1st 16th(2022), 3rd 10th(2021), 4th 5th(2020), 1st 6th(2019), 8th 10th(2018) , 2nd 3rd(2017) Admirable consistency in ladder position, but no cup at the end at the end of the day.
Around the ground Geelong rank better on the overall tackle count ( 8th in 2022), (12th in 2021), (6th 2020), (1st 2019), (7th 2018), (1st 2017), but hardly stellar.

For comparison sake the eventual Premiers total tackle count ranking and I50 tackle count ranking
(2021 1st 1st) (2020 8th 18th), (2019 11th, 11th), (2018 15th, 11th), (2017 7th, 1st)

So of course you can win the flag with a low I50 count (Richmond were 18th when they won the premiership in 2020!).
However when they established their game style in 2017 to win their 1st premiership of the current era they topped the I50 tackle count.
The I50 tackle count appears to be more important than overall tackle count in the wash up, with only Melbourne last year topping that table. Other years with the exception of 2020 the I50 tackle count has matched or bettered that premier's overall tackle count.

I think the general consensus is the Geelong's gameplan hasn't stood up under finals pressure.
Certainly this year they seem to have adopted a quicker, more adventurous style, but is that underwhelming I50 tackle count going to come back to bite them against the best team come finals time?

It's only one stat, but it may be indicative of an issue for Geelong.
The stat may be more important in H&A discussions, but given Geelong's relative under-performance in finals and their quick small/med fwds I'm surprised the Cats aren't better placed on the I50 tackle count. Up against the better teams you don't want to allow quick rebound ball, which will happen if you can't apply tackles inside your fwd 50.

Maybe Geelong will carry on from their H&A form and carry all before them in the finals, but that one stat in particular has me wondering whether they will once again come up short and not convert relative H&A dominance into a premiership (and of course have to do it away from Kardinia Park).

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Montagna saying Saints should get rid of some players to get draft capital. Except Hill isn't going to attract a top 20 offer, by anyone. Nor is any other of their top paid players that aren't performing.

They've dug themselves into a hole with their recruiting strategy.
They went early on their trades I thought to give themselves some credibility. Well they got some credibility. Now it is gone. They have very few A graders.
I respect Rutten as a coach. But you need better cattle than he has at his disposal.
The recipe for success at most clubs is the same. That is the way the competition is set up.
Salary cap, list size, schedule of matches based on last year ladder position.
Only strategy I know that is proven.
1. Go to the draft every year until you get a good side.
2. Keep going to the draft.
3. When you get a good side trade to fill the gaps.

St Kilda do not have a good list yet they traded. Needed to go to the draft more. When you are down you get quality picks.
Hawthorn under Clarkson tried to trade his way to success when his side went over the cliff. They got rid of him and reversed back to the above strategy.
West Coast paid too much trading for a mid at the wrong time of the cycle. Geelong were lucky and invested those picks well. If there is a club that should be trading it is Geelong because they are in the window. For how much longer is the question.

I still don't get why clubs don't invest more in their recruiting dept. Seems to me this is where it starts.

Montagna saying Saints should get rid of some players to get draft capital. Except Hill isn't going to attract a top 20 offer, by anyone. Nor is any other of their top paid players that aren't performing.

Almost fell off my chair when he thought Hill was worth a top 20 pick. Bloke would be lucky to get a mid 3rd. Billings could be the one but a second is surely a push.

So here's a thought.

If they sack Rutten and Clarko says No. Do they call James Hird?

Ross Lyon is surely the obvious one whether he’d do it I have no idea. Mark McVeigh has been ok at GWS

I mean, you don't know what was said, you don't know what happened before he got to the bench

But if one of our players did that to Horse, I'd lose my ******* mind

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Lol@montagna, what draft capital?

They might have to set up a fire sale stall next to the pies.

I mean, you don't know what was said, you don't know what happened before he got to the bench

The thing is, even if one of our players did do that to Horse (which I doubt they would - anyone with such an attitude would unlikely be getting games for us in the first place), it wouldn't be Horse pulling them up on their stank attitude. He wouldn't even get the chance to. It would be one of their peers - a captain, on-field leader or just any teammate.

Essendon are void of any sense of accountability with their team, and it predates Rutten.

Rutten may not have been able to remedy that issue, but he's not the cause of it.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The thing is, even if one of our players did do that to Horse (which I doubt they would - anyone with such an attitude would unlikely be getting games for us in the first place), it wouldn't be Horse pulling them up on their stank attitude. He wouldn't even get the chance to. It would be one of their peers - a captain, on-field leader or just any teammate.

Essendon are void of any sense of accountability with their team, and it predates Rutten.

Rutten may not have been able to remedy that issue, but he's not the cause of it.
Surely he gets dropped next week, regardless of whether rutten gets the sack, he has to make a statement on that, especially given it's been played out in the media.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

As caesar88 said, the senior leaders should be absolutely roasting him.

You are still a professional. You still need to do your job.

Actually, unreasonably pissed me off.

Marshall would quite easily but his the last player they would want to give up.

It's so weird people I see on Twitter saying that Clarkson isn't worth all the clubs who are chasing after him.

I would ask: If Clarkson's not worth the fuss, then who is?

Clarkson might not be any good at North, Essendon, wherever the hell else he might end up. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was a bust. But he's achieved past success in the form of four flags. What does any other random assistant coach rising through the ranks have to offer that is comparable to that?

I get people don't like him, but it's absolutely foolish for some to pretend like he's not the best available candidate for these clubs.

Apr 27, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wests Tigers, Everton
Surely he gets dropped next week, regardless of whether rutten gets the sack, he has to make a statement on that, especially given it's been played out in the media.
That footage was from a couple of weeks ago when they played North. But yeah either way it’s a shocking look.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

Omg.

That is inexcusable. I genuinely felt bad for Rutten there, the way he looked straight ahead after being ignored.

Disgraceful attitude from a so-called professional footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Omg.

That is inexcusable. I genuinely felt bad for Rutten there, the way he looked straight ahead after being ignored.

Disgraceful attitude from a so-called professional footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that player is in the poop. Splashed where everyone can see it. Walk of shame into the club the next day for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back