No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was watching the Ashes (cricket), England fan in the stands had an England Flag with the Swans logo and Nottingham Forrest logo haha...such an odd but great combo!
Being linked with he English cricket team is brand damaging stuff. Sue him for unapproved use of the logo. Bloody poms. ;)

Very sad news with the sad passing of Harley Balic former Freo player , only 25 ffs

THE AFL will implement a crackdown on holding the ball interpretations in 2022, while it will also further punish delay of game tactics during the upcoming season.

The League wrote to all clubs on Monday, outlining that umpires will now be "less lenient towards players who have had prior opportunity and do not immediately and correctly dispose of the football".

The stricter holding the ball interpretation includes a focus on players ducking into tackles, with clubs warned that "a player who ducks their head prior to being legally tackled" will be penalised more stringently by umpires.

--------------------------------

Finally. My biggest grievance with the AFL (apart from throws by Bulldogs).

Hope this does become effective as it will promote more free flowing footy.

Last edited:
The other bit, I also like;

The League is also set to further punish delaying tactics this season, telling clubs that "umpires will be less lenient towards players who deliberately delay the play" through free kicks or 50m penalties.

If the holding the ball and delaying the play interpretaions are implemented correctly, it will make for a much more entertaining game.

The other bit, I also like;

If the holding the ball and delaying the play interpretaions are implemented correctly, it will make for a much more entertaining game.
The delay I particularly hate is smashing into the player who has taken a mark. Oops! Bullsh*t! For mine that should be an automatic 50. The grabby stuff to prevent a quick play on might be a bit trickier and subject to interpretation.

The delay I particularly hate is smashing into the player who has taken a mark. Oops! Bullsh*t! For mine that should be an automatic 50. The grabby stuff to prevent a quick play on might be a bit trickier and subject to interpretation.

I can recall jmac copping whacks after taking a mark several times in 2021. Not once did he get a 50. Maybe if he was a 'name' or bunged it on like a dog or cat he would have been rewarded.

THE AFL will implement a crackdown on holding the ball interpretations in 2022, while it will also further punish delay of game tactics during the upcoming season.

The League wrote to all clubs on Monday, outlining that umpires will now be "less lenient towards players who have had prior opportunity and do not immediately and correctly dispose of the football".

The stricter holding the ball interpretation includes a focus on players ducking into tackles, with clubs warned that "a player who ducks their head prior to being legally tackled" will be penalised more stringently by umpires.

--------------------------------

Finally. My biggest grievance with the AFL (apart from throws by Bulldogs).

Hope this does become effective as it will promote more free flowing footy.
Once again, the AFL has overlooked my suggestion that any tackle laid on a player with a man-bun be rewarded with a 50m penalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Dalrymple has been employed as our lead recruiter, Sydney has lost 2 players.
E Taylor - he lost himself
B Rowles - Delisted

Early days but looks promising

btw highlighted greens are academy players

Interesting fact
Since the introduction of the academies in Sydney
Collingwood has had about 12 father/sons
Sydney has 1 father son and about 8 academy players

What was Eddie on about?

Who has had the advantage?

1642601842898.png

Last edited:
Since Dalrymple has been employed as our lead recruiter, Sydney has lost 2 players.
B Rowles - Delisted

Interesting fact

What was Eddie on about?

View attachment 1313499

Very early days rusty. This board's general assumption seems to be that Dalrymple handles the early picks, and Beatson takes care of the later picks*. If that is true, and we take out the academy selections and also the 2021 class who haven't even completed their first pre-seasons yet, then Dalrymple has only made four selections at the Swans. Two have been successful, two are still very much unknown, for a strike rate of 50%. Hardly much to write home about at this stage.

*Of course, I don't think it is as simple as that. I think it is more of a collaborative effort and Beatson deserves as much credit for our early successes as Dalrymple does for our later draft gems.

IMO the Dalrymple worship is a little over the top as he's somehow been credited with turning around our early-draft fortunes, when A) we don't even know the specifics of either his or Beatson's roles in the early stages of the draft, and B) even if he was responsible for it, we have such a small sample size to assess him on that to reach a conclusion one way or the other is silly.

Both he and Beatson are part of the same recruiting team which, as a whole (meaning the rookie draft and other pathways like the PSSP), have been outstanding for us.

Very early days rusty. This board's general assumption seems to be that Dalrymple handles the early picks, and Beatson takes care of the later picks*. If that is true, and we take out the academy selections and also the 2021 class who haven't even completed their first pre-seasons yet, then Dalrymple has only made four selections at the Swans. Two have been successful, two are still very much unknown, for a strike rate of 50%. Hardly much to write home about at this stage.

*Of course, I don't think it is as simple as that. I think it is more of a collaborative effort and Beatson deserves as much credit for our early successes as Dalrymple does for our later draft gems.

IMO the Dalrymple worship is a little over the top as he's somehow been credited with turning around our early-draft fortunes, when A) we don't even know the specifics of either his or Beatson's roles in the early stages of the draft, and B) even if he was responsible for it, we have such a small sample size to assess him on that to reach a conclusion one way or the other is silly.

Both he and Beatson are part of the same recruiting team which, as a whole (meaning the rookie draft and other pathways like the PSSP), have been outstanding for us.
Beatson handles all picks, Dalrymple is responsible for assessing the players and providing that assessment to Beatson. Ultimately each decision comes down to Beatson though

B Rowles - Delisted

Interesting fact

What was Eddie on about?

View attachment 1313499
You could maybe argue he had zero input in his first year on the job (probably untrue), but Dalrymple has been National Recruiting Manager since Feb 2018.

We have since also drafted (and delisted):

Carruthers
Foot
Tucker
Reynolds

Or are we talking about club loyalty rather than whether the picks made it? If so, it's a bit early.

B Rowles - Delisted

Interesting fact

What was Eddie on about?

View attachment 1313499
When I look at that the only player I wonder about is Foot. I was a bit surprised at the time and had thought he showed a bit.
A bit picky but McLean and Stephens are best 28 for sure.
Why have you left out Clarke, L Taylor, Thurlow but kept in Hickey and Ladhams? Is it just since Dalrymple?

When I look at that the only player I wonder about is Foot. I was a bit surprised at the time and had thought he showed a bit.
A bit picky but McLean and Stephens are best 28 for sure.
Why have you left out Clarke, L Taylor, Thurlow but kept in Hickey and Ladhams? Is it just since Dalrymple?
I think it's meant to be anyone who has come in under Dalrymple's watch. So those 3, as well as Sam Gray, Brand came on board after Dalrymple's appointment. It's not entirely clear how much responsibility he has for trades, vs Beatson. But I guess since that table includes some of the positive trades it should probably show a full picture. I guess you'd also need to include Knoll and Hirst from the 2019 MSD.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story:D

What I like and what franks it as high quality recruiting is the willingness to step away from consensus thinking and pick not who is next favoured in the selection available but who they they think is best by their own criteria. Whether that's Beatson or Dalrymple I don't know, but they often do this Sheldrick as the most recent example, McInerney another, Warner again. It's as though they have some clear form guide that no one else has access to. Love it I've got to say.

As part of that process they also appear to give greater credence to block of form immediately leading up to the draft......a belief that talent emerges over time and can rise to the top mostly draft year. McDonald, Sheldrick and McInerney all tick that box.

Last edited:
Jack Darling gone

Oscar Allen is kicking 50 goals next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back