No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please can we have the conversations re Covid and Jack Darling in the covid thread.
Thank you.

Btw, just wanted to share a short story. I'm Sydney born and bred, but family is down in Melbourne. So I visited Melbourne and was doing some climbing and met a few Melbournians.

First guy was a Richmond supporter, who was rightfully a bit smug, another was a Melbourne supporter who was cautiously optimistic. Then came 2 Saint supporters who looked almost embarrassed.

The las guy I want to mention had a swans logo on his shorts, so I asked the question and he was indeed a swans supporter. As SOON as I mentioned that I was a swans supporter he said:
"F***, I love the Swans."

Even when the swans were no good in 2019 and 2020, we still had moments and never went full give up mode. And I walked away from that conversation feeling so lucky that I follow the bloods.

The AFL is likely to compel clubs to play with fewer than 23 available players, using top-up players from the state leagues, if teams are again stricken with high numbers of COVID-19 cases during the season.

While the AFL has not yet settled on the minimum number that clubs would need to field a team, AFL sources said it was expected that the clubs would still be asked to play – and avoid postponed games – even if they had fewer than 23 players available.

The Age reported on Monday that the league this season will require clubs to field a team of players, using top-ups from state leagues, even if COVID-19 causes the number of fit players on their list to fall to fewer than 23.

The league is revisiting plans for backfilling the state leagues with under-19s as part of the contingency planning to keep teams on the field in the event of COVID-19 infections or isolation leaving teams depleted.
Sources have confirmed that any payment to top-up players needed from the VFL to ensure an AFL club could field a team would be outside the salary cap.
The league is sensitive to the fact that it cannot cannibalise the VFL, and is looking at the under-19s as a way of covering for VFL absences.

The Age reported on Monday that the league this season will require clubs to field a team of players, using top-ups from state leagues, even if COVID-19 causes the number of fit players on their list to fall to fewer than 23.

The league is revisiting plans for backfilling the state leagues with under-19s as part of the contingency planning to keep teams on the field in the event of COVID-19 infections or isolation leaving teams depleted.
Sources have confirmed that any payment to top-up players needed from the VFL to ensure an AFL club could field a team would be outside the salary cap.
The league is sensitive to the fact that it cannot cannibalise the VFL, and is looking at the under-19s as a way of covering for VFL absences.

Looking forward to some random VFL players having a breakout match.

Am I alone in thinking the Simon Goodwin story is a bit of a media beat-up? I don't know the guy from a bar of soap and I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bit of a prick, but if there was an issue that was serious enough, I'm sure Melbourne would've done something about it. The fact that since then he's led the team to the most dominant flag in a decade suggests they had it handled.

Am I alone in thinking the Simon Goodwin story is a bit of a media beat-up? I don't know the guy from a bar of soap and I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bit of a prick, but if there was an issue that was serious enough, I'm sure Melbourne would've done something about it. The fact that since then he's led the team to the most dominant flag in a decade suggests they had it handled.
Yah, I think most coaches would be terrible people at times, especially when a club is underperforming. It's a bit of a chicken and the egg that all the good clubs have 'nice' coaches. It's much easier to be a pleasant person when you're winning.

It's a waste of paper , he's not a bad bloke and he's allowed a drink and bet . Look at Gil and Demitriou , down to the Warrnambool races every year , 3 days on the grog and punt ( it is great down there ) Goody has done nothing wrong apart from being an Aussie bloke after the season.

I think that the doctor getting sacked after suggesting there was an issue is rubbish though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Towers, come on down!

Not alone. At the top level of sport where things are insanely competitive, emotions can get the better of you. I'm sure the club will provide some form of tharapy to help Goodwin control them better going forward... you'd hope. I'm sure a majority of people would feel like s**t after being on the end of one his outbursts like the doctor, so it definitely needs addressed anyway.

Not alone. At the top level of sport where things are insanely competitive, emotions can get the better of you. I'm sure the club will provide some form of tharapy to help Goodwin control them better going forward... you'd hope. I'm sure a majority of people would feel like sh*t after being on the end of one his outbursts like the doctor, so it definitely needs addressed anyway.
Who said he needs help , how do you know what he's like . If he's bad then Rocket Eade should have done 20 years in jail . Also the Dr might be a goose .

Who said he needs help , how do you know what he's like . If he's bad then Rocket Eade should have done 20 years in jail . Also the Dr might be a goose .
Well, there are better ways to treat people during a conversation than what Goodwin is doing, no one should be expected to turn up to their job and put up with being verbally abused. During match day there are going to be exceptions, but in this case it sounds like Goodwin is taking things way too far. Also, you might be a goose.

Well, there are better ways to treat people during a conversation than what Goodwin is doing, no one should be expected to turn up to their job and put up with being verbally abused. During match day there are going to be exceptions, but in this case it sounds like Goodwin is taking things way too far. Also, you might be a goose.
We all can be at times , but you don't know what happened and what has been said , so maybe grow from being a know all without proof .

We all can be at times , but you don't know what happened and what has been said , so maybe grow from being a know all without proof .
There are direct quotes in the article and you are trying to say I have no proof and don't know what has been said? I guess you actually are a goose then.

I like watching him play and follow his progress closely so I am really hopeful it is not the thing that starts with an A.

It would be an incredibly s**t situation for him if so, made only slightly easier by the fact he'd be well supported by his family who have been through it before with Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back