No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Max King , took soccer off the airwaves

Exactly how useless is North Melbourne? One of their fans rings in and dribbles a bunch of antisemitic crap about one of their own players on air, and the club is silent on the topic? Staggering.

John from Epping isn't a ring in mate, he's an elderly immigrant caller than Gary Lyon and Tim Watson call once a week to catch up with.

If you heard him, you would probably realize it wasn't intentional, he's from a different era and he just doesn't know any better.

It doesn't make it right, but the club won't go to hard on a 80 year old die hard with english as a second language regarding a few off the cuff comments.

John from Epping isn't a ring in mate, he's an elderly immigrant caller than Gary Lyon and Tim Watson call once a week to catch up with.

If you heard him, you would probably realize it wasn't intentional, he's from a different era and he just doesn't know any better.

It doesn't make it right, but the club won't go to hard on a 80 year old die hard with english as a second language regarding a few off the cuff comments.

What did he say?

With all due respect, I couldn't give a shite who John from Epping is. You can't go on air and reinforce tropes and stereotypes about Jewish people.

But, even if he is an elderly immigrant, or it wasn't intentional, or he's from a different era and didn't know any better, how hard is it for a club to just release a broader statement - NOT aimed at any individual - condemning antisemitism? Where's the public support for the young player you've just drafted?

Hitler (in an extremely thick Italian accent): "I kill a the Jews!!! 6 million of them!!! Ohhhh mamma mia!!!!"

You're right. I'm looking at him differently now and thinking maybe he was a little misunderstood by historians.

Haha wtf?

It's a s**t comment from someone from a different era, but calling him Hitler is a horrible comparison.

With all due respect, I couldn't give a shite who John from Epping is. You can't go on air and reinforce tropes and stereotypes about Jewish people.

But, even if he is an elderly immigrant, or it wasn't intentional, or he's from a different era and didn't know any better, how hard is it for a club to just release a broader statement - NOT aimed at any individual - condemning antisemitism? Where's the public support for the young player you've just drafted?

They released a statement of support the day he was drafted regarding the comments the day before he was drafted on Twitter....

John is the center of ethnic stereotyping himself, it's essentially why he's brought onto the radio program once a week.

I'm not saying what he said is ok, but it's been handled privately apparently, I wouldn't be surprised if John apologized to Harry himself. There's no need to publically flay a long time supporter that has already been absolutely pillared in the national media.

His comments aren't great, but I also think he's probably been embarrassed enough, don't you.? How would you go if it was one of your grandparents being skewered by the national media over a mistake?

SEN are the ones that should cop most of the heat here, not an 80 year old put in this position every single week. It's bound to happen. Hutchy does something similar on Saturdays with a 90 year old caller also.

I'm not calling him Hitler. I'm saying using his accent and ethnicity as a defence for said s**t comment just doesn't fly.

Lol ok mate, the Hitler comparison was just such a strange counterpoint. Not sure Sphynx was using the accent as a defence, just saying the context helps understand why he said what he did.

Lol ok mate, the Hitler comparison was just such a strange counterpoint. Not sure Sphynx was using the accent as a defence, just saying the context helps understand why he said what he did.
It doesn't help to understand it at all. It's an inexcusable comment.

If you're asked about the draft and your mind automatically goes to "make joke at Jewish expense" then your accent or ethnicity or background or any other variable is not the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was more relating it to comprehension.

Not only is he an 80 year old ex-concreter that left school when he was 8 years old to drive the fields in Italy with his families donkey (yes, this is a true story, he's gone through it many times) with a few screws loose already, but throw in the fact he's been in Australia for 60 years and can barely speak the language and you can understand how sometimes things might be misunderstood or misconstrued differently.

Now, he knew what he was saying. But he is of a very different time (he was born in facist Italy for a start....) and the reality is a major chunk of that generation don't know any better regarding even minor comments and their impact.

I'm not sure what Caesar wants? Charges brought up for hate crimes?

Even the head of the anti-defamation commission have accepted the apologies and apparently his apology has been handled privately, which is the right thing to do.

You don't want to feed his comments with any more oxygen than they have already received.

SEN just needs to leave him alone and let him attend to his tomatoes.

It doesn't help to understand it at all. It's an inexcusable comment.

If you're asked about the draft and your mind automatically goes to "make joke at Jewish expense" then your accent or ethnicity or background or any other variable is not the problem.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make when no one's tried to excuse the comments?

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make when no one's tried to excuse the comments?
Are you not reading the comments from the North supporter above? Full of 'but's...

As for what I want, if you go back and see my original comment, all I said is that North Melbourne should have made a statement on it. 'John from Epping' didn't need to be named (contrary to the opinion that I think he should be 'flayed'). His comment didn't even need to be mentioned or referenced explicitly (contrary to the opinion that I want to feed his comment any more oxygen).

I just think a statement needs to be made by the club when one of their fans is making such comments about one of their own players. If you've already released a statement a week earlier, great. Get out there and do it again.

Are you not reading the comments from the North supporter above? Full of 'but's...

As for what I want, if you go back and see my original comment, all I said is that North Melbourne should have made a statement on it. 'John from Epping' didn't need to be named (contrary to the opinion that I think he should be 'flayed'). His comment didn't even need to be mentioned or referenced explicitly (contrary to the opinion that I want to feed his comment any more oxygen).

I just think a statement needs to be made by the club when one of their fans is making such comments about one of their own players. If you've already released a statement a week earlier, great. Get out there and do it again.

I did read the comments, including the bit where he said that the man's apology was accepted.

Exactly how useless is North Melbourne? One of their fans rings in and dribbles a bunch of antisemitic crap about one of their own players on air, and the club is silent on the topic? Staggering.
All he said was that Jews have a lot of money , he's an old man from Italy , i bet he's been called a chocolate frog over his years here.
I have some Jewish friends that are up in arms about it.
Nothing to do with Norf , don't be so childish 88.
SEN boss Hutchy has apologised as it was on his station.
All over

Last edited:
All he said was that Jews have a lot of money , he's an old man from Italy , i bet he's been called a chocolate frog over his years here.
I have some Jewish friends that are up in arms about it.
Nothing to do with Norf , don't be so childish 88.
SEN boss Hutchy has apologised as it was on his station.
All over
Nothing to do with North? It was said about a North player from a North supporter.

But I see I am beat on this one. Glad they're not my club.

Hitler (in an extremely thick Italian accent): "I kill a the Jews!!! 6 million of them!!! Ohhhh mamma mia!!!!"

You're right. I'm looking at him differently now and thinking maybe he was a little misunderstood by historians.
I have heard much worse about Indians or Muslims or Chinese from ppl who should know better in the media or politics with actual intention to hurt or cause offence.

Intention is key here

Sometimes in todays overly PC age we miss this bit and some are “protected species” and others are not:

While I don’t condone racism or discrimination.

I question whether this statement has been taken out of context and whether there is any actual malice or bad intention.

I would argue that there is no malice or negative intention.

I have heard much worse about Indians or Muslims or Chinese from ppl who should know better in the media or politics with actual intention to hurt or cause offence.

Intention is key here

Sometimes in todays overly PC age we miss this bit and some are “protected species” and others are not:

While I don’t condone racism or discrimination.

I question whether this statement has been taken out of context and whether there is any actual malice or bad intention.

I would argue that there is no malice or negative intention.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back