Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL are needing to operate under government restrictions should players get Covid19 during the season.

Its been said that around half of Victorian AFL players have already had Covid, so if StKilda is typical of them we may not have much to worry about. Does anyone here know?

It could be a big problem for the Western Australian clubs.

If it did affect us , is there anyone at Sandringham that would be suitable. A suprise last game for Sam Dunell?

This is not intended to be a discussion of peoples opinions of Covid rules or treatments or vaccination status and I checked with George before posting so feel free to reply on topic.

The AFL are needing to operate under government restrictions should players get Covid19 during the season.

Its been said that around half of Victorian AFL players have already had Covid, so if StKilda is typical of them we may not have much to worry about. Does anyone here know?

If it did affect us , is there anyone at Sandringham that would be suitable. A suprise last game for Sam Dunell?

This is not intended to be a discussion of peoples opinions of Covid rules or treatments or vaccination status and I checked with George before posting so feel free to reply on topic.
Good thread. The pandemic will have an impact on the AFL for the third year running. WA clubs will be hit hardest needing to relocate.

Infections may not be as bad as in the AFLW as the peak seems to have passed, however with winter coming we may peak again and also we will have a pretty bad flu season coming up.

On a lighter note as this variant is pretty mild I would expect extremely fit young athletes won't get too sick. My niece in the AFLW got covid and was fit to play a full game in two weeks.

Fingers crossed we all get back to a full season of AFL in person.

Good thread. The pandemic will have an impact on the AFL for the third year running. WA clubs will be hit hardest needing to relocate.

Infections may not be as bad as in the AFLW as the peak seems to have passed, however with winter coming we may peak again and also we will have a pretty bad flu season coming up.

On a lighter note as this variant is pretty mild I would expect extremely fit young athletes won't get too sick. My niece in the AFLW got covid and was fit to play a full game in two weeks.

Fingers crossed we all get back to a full season of AFL in person.

Yeah most people just need to get through the Government rule of 7 days self quarantine if they test positive.
So if it went through and infected much of a team, you would hope they will only lose a week.

( Though the curse says...
Whole lot of StKilda players test positive 15th of april - required to isolate 7 days.. Contracted at a special party for tall people. All ruckman and key players affected
Matchday : 16th April. --
Matchday: 22nd April.
Out of Isolation 23rd April allowed out of Isolation).

Whilst I'm against top up players and mid-season drafts (manage your lists properly for the season!), if they're going ahead with this then the top up players should come from players who nominated for the previous draft. Clubs can't be pulling in players from anywhere willy nilly. It also gives a kid who actually nominted to play another chance to play (actually, a guaranteed AFL match!).

Whilst I'm against top up players and mid-season drafts (manage your lists properly for the season!), if they're going ahead with this then the top up players should come from players who nominated for the previous draft. Clubs can't be pulling in players from anywhere willy nilly. It also gives a kid who actually nominted to play another chance to play (actually, a guaranteed AFL match!).

They are talking about the situation where a team has less than 22 players to field the team, through no fault of their own.
Its probably likely to be just one week so a top up from interstate would not really be viable.
Then there are undrafted kids, and most of them are probably not ready to play seniors.

I think the AFL's idea is to take a player from an affiliated VFL/ SAFL /WAFL club if its needed.

They are talking about the situation where a team has less than 22 players to field the team, through no fault of their own.
Its probably likely to be just one week so a top up from interstate would not really be viable.
Then there are undrafted kids, and most of them are probably not ready to play seniors.

I think the AFL's idea is to take a player from an affiliated VFL/ SAFL /WAFL club if its needed.

Yeah I know all that haha. Bringing in an external player as a last resort should not be beneficial at all. It should only be there to be able to field a team, and they should be from the previous draft's undrafted players.

There are players currently on AFL lists who "aren't ready to play seniors", and that's a BS excuse IMO. You're on a list, you can/should play. You nominate for the draft, you are ready to play. It doesn't mean you're any good, but that's not the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know all that haha. Bringing in an external player as a last resort should not be beneficial at all. It should only be there to be able to field a team, and they should be from the previous draft's undrafted players.

There are players currently on AFL lists who "aren't ready to play seniors", and that's a BS excuse IMO. You're on a list, you can/should play. You nominate for the draft, you are ready to play. It doesn't mean you're any good, but that's not the point.
Not sure nominating for the draft means you are ready to play. On a list does though. If you have 23 fit players then the game should be played. Unlike other sorts it’s very tough to catch up games in the afl. Anything less than a 5 day break is nearly impossible unless the side you are playing comes off the same break. The afl will not want to cancel games. I’d suggest the same rule and doctors and nurses. Rat test on game day if counted as a close contact. Negative means you play then back into iso.

Not sure nominating for the draft means you are ready to play. On a list does though. If you have 23 fit players then the game should be played. Unlike other sorts it’s very tough to catch up games in the afl. Anything less than a 5 day break is nearly impossible unless the side you are playing comes off the same break. The afl will not want to cancel games. I’d suggest the same rule and doctors and nurses. Rat test on game day if counted as a close contact. Negative means you play then back into iso.

Unfortunately we or the club don't make the rules.

AFL are very keen not to cancel games, and suggested affiliate clubs.
If the Saints were short a player or 2 ( Hard to see it happen ) i guess we could get by with playing the likes of Dunell, or Lok. Not sure there are any suitable talls in Sandringham.

We'd already be crap if we were playing the likes of Peris, Heath, Adams.

I wonder which of our players have already had it.

Unfortunately we or the club don't make the rules.

AFL are very keen not to cancel games, and suggested affiliate clubs.
If the Saints were short a player or 2 ( Hard to see it happen ) i guess we could get by with playing the likes of Dunell, or Lok. Not sure there are any suitable talls in Sandringham.

We'd already be crap if we were playing the likes of Peris, Heath, Adams.

I wonder which of our players have already had it.
Hopefully 44 of them and in the last month. That should make us safe for a while. I said a while back we should hopefully get. I know that’s not really a great idea but it does seem pretty safe for young fit people. It is certainly going to be an interesting year. I gather clubs stagger groups in the weights room etc and rats tests daily. And eat outside at restaurants.

Only if you knew others wouldn’t actually get sick.
What do you mean? They can follow the same rules as most people which is you test when you have symptoms.

Tall Poppy Syndrome to the max. Melbourne win their flag and now the knives are out. What a coincidence.
LOL. Serious allegations were made against Goodwin. They were investigated. The Chair of the Board was convinced they were serious and substantiated by facts, then the Chairman gets ousted instead of the coach.

Now, you can suggest that the Chair was in the wrong, that it was an overreaction or whatever you like. But you sure as s**t can't claim that this is some beat up tall poppy story. It's legit.

Incidentally, this is what Essendon did. The Chair took it seriously and wanted to cut a deal with ASADA (for the players to miss 10 games at the end of the season, as Cronulla's players did), but instead the rest of the Board ousted the Chair and led Essendon through the incredible disaster that was the following two years. Naturally, it seems to have worked out a lot better for Melbourne, but that's because you can buy off the club doctor, but you can't buy off ASADA.

LOL. Serious allegations were made against Goodwin. They were investigated. The Chair of the Board was convinced they were serious and substantiated by facts, then the Chairman gets ousted instead of the coach.

Now, you can suggest that the Chair was in the wrong, that it was an overreaction or whatever you like. But you sure as sh*t can't claim that this is some beat up tall poppy story. It's legit.

Incidentally, this is what Essendon did. The Chair took it seriously and wanted to cut a deal with ASADA (for the players to miss 10 games at the end of the season, as Cronulla's players did), but instead the rest of the Board ousted the Chair and led Essendon through the incredible disaster that was the following two years. Naturally, it seems to have worked out a lot better for Melbourne, but that's because you can buy off the club doctor, but you can't buy off ASADA.
So you equate 'bullying' to the drug scandal? Yeah OK

Hopefully 44 of them and in the last month. That should make us safe for a while. I said a while back we should hopefully get. I know that’s not really a great idea but it does seem pretty safe for young fit people. It is certainly going to be an interesting year. I gather clubs stagger groups in the weights room etc and rats tests daily. And eat outside at restaurants.

I don't wan't to get to much on this topic.
My Dad had Covid and hardly knew it, only found out due to being randomly tested.
My Daughters boyfriend who is young and fit, was feeling like crap for weeks afterwards and still can't taste drinks normally.

If a lot of the team got it, they'd all be told to isolate for a week, which is what would affect the club.
Its also possible that a few could need to miss a few weeks.

Now, you can suggest that the Chair was in the wrong, that it was an overreaction or whatever you like. But you sure as sh*t can't claim that this is some beat up tall poppy story. It's legit.

They gave a large payout to the doctor. It was obviously bad enough to give six figures to them. A poor club like Melbourne aren't throwing away money for nothing and all clubs have excellent legal representation as well as the AFL always keen to litigate things away to stop copycat claims.. At the very least it was a case of the senior coach intimidating a medical professional to put players out on the field against their medical advice.

Once you win a premiership there is little you can do wrong so he won't see any real backlash but it is a serious incident being played in the media as the doctor being a gen Y soft utensil with a thin skin. Some of the character assassinations in the media might get the doc another round of handy payouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back