Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

So all of sudden adult abuse to kids umpiring this year is less but I can’t use the dissent rule as the reason. Wowee. But then you can say it could have the opposite effect without even attending the games. Wowee again. What a load of rubbish. You can have an opinion without seeing games but I can’t seeing games. Yep good logic gringo. Just out of interest why do you think the afl suddenly did this rule?

I'd say that kind of evidence wouldn't stand up in court. It's circumstantial at best. To me the more likely reason is that people are just glad to be back after a lay off. Maybe people aren't taking it all for granted any more.

I've noticed that customers are a lot nicer to staff now that Covid has ended too. Perhaps the umpires fixed that too.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
can't you have differing opinions? You based on whet you see and Gringo based on what he thinks.
I agree with Gringo. The Stand rule and the new dissent interpretation will make people dislike Umps even more.
better to up the junior umps pay and lower the tolerance for dissent in the junior ranks and leave afl footy with the old interpretation.
Pretty sure junior umpires aren’t paying those rules. Also it and has never been the kids playing. It was and isn’t at the moment the parents watching.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I'd say that kind of evidence wouldn't stand up in court. It's circumstantial at best. To me the more likely reason is that people are just glad to be back after a lay off. Maybe people aren't taking it all for granted any more.

I've noticed that customers are a lot nicer to staff now that Covid has ended too. Perhaps the umpires fixed that too.
Yep or maybe it’s the new interim ration of the dissent rule as our coach thinks it is. Forget about me. I’m trusting him over you and me.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Anyone been to Moe's lately

Anyone been to Moe's lately
FailingReadyHammerheadshark-max-1mb.gif

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Adelaide Crows spearhead Taylor Walker will miss Round 11 under Health and Safety protocols

Taylor Walker is set to miss Round 11 after showing symptoms of a bruised ego and a generally fragile constitution. It is believed that this injury was suffered during the Round 10 loss to St Kilda in repeated (lost) contests to Callum Wilkie.

No expected return date has been given, however he may miss several weeks or possibly months.

More to come.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
So like the rule that was always there you mean. An umpire on SEN said that the players and umpires have never been so respectful towards each other before this and that it was unnecessary. This is like something a politician comes up absolutely zero substance to it and makes others have to take the heat from their dumb assness.
Letting a Scott brother dictate anything about umpire respect is rather like letting Ted Bundy set the sentencing rules for murder ... that's likely part of why the reactions are what they are ;)

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who really wants to see an umpire at ANY level coping an expletive-laden spray, physical assault, or worse. It's a thankless task, with so much interpretation compared to other codes, and hard to be consistent as a result.

Whether arms-out is really dissent ... it's tenuous in my P.O.V. ... was the reaction of our players grinning at the decision any more respectful ... I'd argue not, in the circumstances - all semblence of respect was largely gone by that point. Will smiling at a decision be 50 next match ... who knows ...

"I really stuffed that call ... better award a 50 ... who is looking at me funny?"

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Letting a Scott brother dictate anything about umpire respect is rather like letting Ted Bundy set the sentencing rules for murder ... that's likely part of why the reactions are what they are ;)

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who really wants to see an umpire at ANY level coping an expletive-laden spray, physical assault, or worse. It's a thankless task, with so much interpretation compared to other codes, and hard to be consistent as a result.

Whether arms-out is really dissent ... it's tenuous in my P.O.V. ... was the reaction of our players grinning at the decision any more respectful ... I'd argue not, in the circumstances - all semblence of respect was largely gone by that point. Will smiling at a decision be 50 next match ... who knows ...

"I really stuffed that call ... better award a 50 ... who is looking at me funny?"

The Warner one against Carlton on Friday night is the worst example I've seen yet, the incompetent umpire must have missed him bouncing the ball so called a free against them, he was rightly confused so held his arms out and then the umpire doubled down on his mistake by pinging him 50 metres.

That then ended up in a Carlton goal instead of the Swans getting an inside 50 and a possible goal to them, that sort of s**t affects the results of games.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Yep they need to get the interuptation right. I think as an umpire in the lower leagues you can tell if a player is showing or not showing dissent if the arms are out or not. Some will be most won’t be.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its really not, maybe on a per-hour basis it might stack up, but there's a lot of downtime for that payment, travel, uniform costs, paperwork, before and after the game, training, if they do any.

A seniors game is 4 to 5 hours if you include travel

View attachment 1408080
And the WRFL is struggling for umpires. Historically an area where they have copped a fair bit as well, but it's definitely a lot better from the players and crowd last couple of years

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

From what I've seen there has been a push from the footy leagues to stop abusing umpires and getting pushed down from the presidents and coaches of clubs. My club has had the president and coaches pushing that onto the players and we've had umpires come down to speak to us and even do some training. This will help to educate people to stop umpires copping it imo. Over the top and difficult rules to interpret will make it harder for them.

It's pretty simple tho, pay a decent amount for a match and you'll see the numbers increase

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
From what I've seen there has been a push from the footy leagues to stop abusing umpires and getting pushed down from the presidents and coaches of clubs. My club has had the president and coaches pushing that onto the players and we've had umpires come down to speak to us and even do some training. This will help to educate people to stop umpires copping it imo. Over the top and difficult rules to interpret will make it harder for them.

It's pretty simple tho, pay a decent amount for a match and you'll see the numbers increase
Not sure it’s that simple. Kids get good money anyway and usually do 2 or 3 games on weekend. It’s all about kids not getting older people to do it. Having said that it’s not bad pocket money for an adult as it’s tax free whatever your other wage is. Unless of course you an idiot like me and do it for nothing for the last 35 years.

How s**t are the umpires

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure it’s that simple. Kids get good money anyway and usually do 2 or 3 games on weekend. It’s all about kids not getting older people to do it. Having said that it’s not bad pocket money for an adult as it’s tax free whatever your other wage is. Unless of course you an idiot like me and do it for nothing for the last 35 years.
You're in a league of your own P66. It's a struggle to get kids or adults to get of the couch. Money, training and pathways I think would help. Of course not getting abused by people would help too.

Something needs to happen tho, it seems to becoming a pretty bad issue with the lack of umpires.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
You're in a league of your own P66. It's a struggle to get kids or adults to get of the couch. Money, training and pathways I think would help. Of course not getting abused by people would help too.

Something needs to happen tho, it seems to becoming a pretty bad issue with the lack of umpires.
It’s terrible but I’d say abuse is still the first problem. And it’s not like footy leagues can afford to just pay more If the afl just gave more I’d guess they would want to use it on other things. Obviously the afl would say no but then they would want more again for other things. Got to remember kids and adults do off the couch to play and they get a big fat zero in most cases.

And I want to see more umpires. I’m 60 years old and twice this year I have had to do 2 games in the one day If I don’t post after Saturday I died. Bye everyone just in case

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Warner one against Carlton on Friday night is the worst example I've seen yet, the incompetent umpire must have missed him bouncing the ball so called a free against them, he was rightly confused so held his arms out and then the umpire doubled down on his mistake by pinging him 50 metres.

That then ended up in a Carlton goal instead of the Swans getting an inside 50 and a possible goal to them, that sort of s**t affects the results of games.

Remember the day that Joey gave away 50 for saying "soft bump"? :)

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s terrible but I’d say abuse is still the first problem. And it’s not like footy leagues can afford to just pay more If the afl just gave more I’d guess they would want to use it on other things. Obviously the afl would say no but then they would want more again for other things. Got to remember kids and adults do off the couch to play and they get a big fat zero in most cases.

And I want to see more umpires. I’m 60 years old and twice this year I have had to do 2 games in the one day If I don’t post after Saturday I died. Bye everyone just in case
Haha,

They could charge a little more for match payments. How longs it been $10 for? If it was $15 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

It will get to a point where games will get called off

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Haha,

They could charge a little more for match payments. How longs it been $10 for? If it was $15 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

It will get to a point where games will get called off
Parents are doing it so games won’t get called off. What do you mean match payments are $10. I’m confused.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Remember when Adelaide released that mini doco grilling Brad Crouch in a club meeting for being a one way runner and not trying enough?

Is he or is he not currently sitting 2nd in the league for tackles..??????

HMMMMM

The Geelong Hawks match was outrageous too. They ****ed up the call in a close match because of Hawkins staging then doubled down with a stupid dissent 50.

Remember when Adelaide released that mini doco grilling Brad Crouch in a club meeting for being a one way runner and not trying enough?

Is he or is he not currently sitting 2nd in the league for tackles..??????

HMMMMM

He was in the old days, he's really gone from a one way guy to one of the best two way runners at the club.

Back