Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Parents are doing it so games won’t get called off. What do you mean match payments are $10. I’m confused.
many leagues charge a match day payment, whether its upfront at the start of the season or game by game, but that money is used to pay the umpires

It’s terrible but I’d say abuse is still the first problem. And it’s not like footy leagues can afford to just pay more If the afl just gave more I’d guess they would want to use it on other things. Obviously the afl would say no but then they would want more again for other things. Got to remember kids and adults do off the couch to play and they get a big fat zero in most cases.

And I want to see more umpires. I’m 60 years old and twice this year I have had to do 2 games in the one day If I don’t post after Saturday I died. Bye everyone just in case

Soccer has field marshals where a parent basically is in charge of policing the parent and crowd behaviour. If they get lippy with the refs you get to tell them to tone it down and if they go over board you can eject them. If they won't leave the club is forced to move them on or risk having the game forfeit and lose the points. If it's a club official they can be banned. Everything is put in the match report and is reviewed by the league if something shows up the clubs involved get a please explain. Works well and soccer parents are much worse than footy folks.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Soccer has field marshals where a parent basically is in charge of policing the parent and crowd behaviour. If they get lippy with the refs you get to tell them to tone it down and if they go over board you can eject them. If they won't leave the club is forced to move them on or risk having the game forfeit and lose the points. If it's a club official they can be banned. Everything is put in the match report and is reviewed by the league if something shows up the clubs involved get a please explain. Works well and soccer parents are much worse than footy folks.
Our footy has the same. The difference is the size of the grounds. Can’t comment on what parents are like at soccer but if they are much worse then they shouldn’t be able to attend games because there are ordinary parents at junior footy.

Our footy has the same. The difference is the size of the grounds. Can’t comment on what parents are like at soccer but if they are much worse then they shouldn’t be able to attend games because there are ordinary parents at junior footy.

I reckon there was only two incidents in my time watching kids footy. One an old guy who was swearing at the goal umpire who he accused of cheating but was quickly moved on and the other were parents from Parkdale who were rough bogans that got stuck into my son for a sling tackle and the umpire for not paying it.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I reckon there was only two incidents in my time watching kids footy. One an old guy who was swearing at the goal umpire who he accused of cheating but was quickly moved on and the other were parents from Parkdale who were rough bogans that got stuck into my son for a sling tackle and the umpire for not paying it.
Lucky

Jesus, that sounds like when my School bus was out of control, so they picked me , the nerd sitting half way to the front , to be bus monitor to speak up when all the tough idiots up the back played up, or to dob on them.

Imagine being "field marshall" when Dusty Martin's rellies turn up to watch the game.

I keep hearing supporters of the Tasmanian startup team holding up the Jack Jumpers as evidence it can work.

Sorry , I can find you two StKilda players who's combined salary would exceed the cap of the Jumpers. Not to mention the normal money involved in running an AFL club would totally eclipse the Jack Jumpers.
Those using it as evidence are completely missing the point as to why the viability is marginal. Its all to do with the population of Tasmania and the cash available to a football team there.
Of course if you got an AFL team full of competitive players and they all played well , then its possible they could make finals , just like the jumpers.
Is it sustainable? What happens to the team if the State Government stop propping them up.

Using a basketball team as an example just proves how ignorant they are.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I keep hearing supporters of the Tasmanian startup team holding up the Jack Jumpers as evidence it can work.

Sorry , I can find you two StKilda players who's combined salary would exceed the cap of the Jumpers. Not to mention the normal money involved in running an AFL club would totally eclipse the Jack Jumpers.
Those using it as evidence are completely missing the point as to why the viability is marginal. Its all to do with the population of Tasmania and the cash available to a football team there.
Of course if you got an AFL team full of competitive players and they all played well , then its possible they could make finals , just like the jumpers.
Is it sustainable? What happens to the team if the State Government stop propping them up.

Anyone else here inclined to believe that the AFL would allow outright pillaging of the mainland team lists to set up a 10 year dynasty which implodes spectacularly the minute that the pillaged players retire success ends?

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

Your points are all true, but I still think we need a Tasmania team.
The AFL made a huge mistake with a second Sydney team I reckon. Gold Coast wasn't needed either, I understand why they chose those two locations but potential growth isn't a good enough excuse in my books.

Bit of a bitch, but, in turning the TV on to watch some lead in for AFL, I hate how in your face the betting agencies are with AFL. As one who literally, I don't bet, I don't pokie, I don't do anything with chance agencies as it's just not worth it to me.

But here's a round table, here's almost literally every second advert, here's just bet this, bet that, here's odds for scratching your arse with left pinky versus left ring finger. It's just, to me it's much like smoking and that advertising, they really need to have less of it around footy programming in general.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit of a bitch, but, in turning the TV on to watch some lead in for AFL, I hate how in your face the betting agencies are with AFL. As one who literally, I don't bet, I don't pokie, I don't do anything with chance agencies as it's just not worth it to me.

But here's a round table, here's almost literally every second advert, here's just bet this, bet that, here's odds for scratching your arse with left pinky versus left ring finger. It's just, to me it's much like smoking and that advertising, they really need to have less of it around footy programming in general.

They never offer odds on Selwood's head actually detaching from his neck, or Tom Hawkins' chances of winning an olympic diving medal ... so I pretty much switch off and zone out.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
How have Richmond suddenly become good again. It can’t just be dusty

They have had some injuries but they are getting back to full strength, Soldo back along with Nankervis gives them some good big man strength.

They have some good young recruits too, Maurice Rioli Junior looks like he will be a ripper like his old man.

That being said I still hope they die in a fire.

How have Richmond suddenly become good again. It can’t just be dusty
It’s their game style. They’re super quick so they can pressure like crazy and score off turnover.

Back