Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt, but I don't like the idea of players who continue playing after multiple concussions turning around once they've finished playing and start suing people. Doesn't sit right with me.

The law usually finds in favour of someone who was injured on the job. I'm not sure how much was even known about long term issues when he was going through his concussions. It's sounding like multiple concussions in close succession are the worst thing for a person long term. If medical experts send them out before they are ready then it's negligence. If it takes 6 months to get right they should take it. Not get rushed back over a game.

Law suits will come at some point and clubs that don't follow the accepted protocols will be in trouble as will the AFL.

Six figures says to me that there was something in it. To me it looks as if the club has won a premiership and it's stopped a potential implosion. A payout, a review that ousted the victims and they then paid a minder to step in to watch over the coach. It looks messy as fu** but the win means that everything they have done is a stroke of genius and excellent planning.
6 figures could be 100k which is probably less than his salary. He got that for unfair dismissal. Happy for you to show me he got it for other reasons. I have heard just about every recent footballer suggests things like that happen certainly at their club so most likely other clubs. I aren’t going to take notice of people who played 20 years ago but I certainly will of recent players. Again I ask that you show what that has been printed is actually having a personal attack on him. Swearing in a conversation doesn’t make it an attack. Also the fact they won the flag makes the story not the other way around. This story is going no where.

Asked by his manager Robbie D’Orazio, of CSM, “If the Saints offered you a contract, would you take it?“, Dunstan was emphatic.

“No. I said that in my exit interview. I said: ‘To be honest, I’d rather go get a job and move on,’” Dunstan said. “Just the stress … I’ve had for the last 12 months, especially of going in there. It feels good not knowing I have to go back and put up with it.”

D’Orazio later adds: “Worst-case scenario, what do we do if we don’t have a footy club? Have we thought about that? That could happen.”

Dunstan replied: “Ah, number one, I’ve got the chippy thing that I can go into … and then, going to start doing one day a week next week with [former teammate] Sammy Gilbert. He’s a site manager at a construction company.”

D’Orazio: “Mate, you’re too good not to be playing AFL next year.”

Asked by his manager Robbie D’Orazio, of CSM, “If the Saints offered you a contract, would you take it?“, Dunstan was emphatic.

“No. I said that in my exit interview. I said: ‘To be honest, I’d rather go get a job and move on,’” Dunstan said. “Just the stress … I’ve had for the last 12 months, especially of going in there. It feels good not knowing I have to go back and put up with it.”

D’Orazio later adds: “Worst-case scenario, what do we do if we don’t have a footy club? Have we thought about that? That could happen.”

Dunstan replied: “Ah, number one, I’ve got the chippy thing that I can go into … and then, going to start doing one day a week next week with [former teammate] Sammy Gilbert. He’s a site manager at a construction company.”

D’Orazio: “Mate, you’re too good not to be playing AFL next year.”
Stressed about playing football when on 400k. Feel for the bloke. Bet nurses, aged care workers, hospitality workers, gig economy people and many others feel for him.
Playing football is difficult with permanent diet, maximum fitness, long term injuries, every move you make is judged by keyboard warriors, etc, but that's what you get paid the big bucks for.
Does he think being a reserve at Melbourne under psycho Goodwin playing at Cranbourne will be any less stressful? Talk about living in a bubble.

6 figures could be 100k which is probably less than his salary. He got that for unfair dismissal. Happy for you to show me he got it for other reasons. I have heard just about every recent footballer suggests things like that happen certainly at their club so most likely other clubs. I aren’t going to take notice of people who played 20 years ago but I certainly will of recent players. Again I ask that you show what that has been printed is actually having a personal attack on him. Swearing in a conversation doesn’t make it an attack. Also the fact they won the flag makes the story not the other way around. This story is going no where.

They still found that the club let him go when the doctor had done nothing wrong which means that the club believed that they were at fault. Most doctors work part time at the club, I doubt that they are taking $100k plus.

So…
Two AFLW teams can get into WA but the rest of us nonenties can’t!
Don’t know about anyone else but I’m p*ssed off!
You fall under McGowan’s strict Covid protocols that prevent entry into WA to anyone who is a teacher and has a nuffie accent.
Some might say enlightened.
Others might not……

With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played in the AFL!
15 aside has a 5-5-5 lineup, as in the current lining up of 6-6-6 at the start of play and after a goal is scored. For those still unsure what this looks like, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings/mids out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and an on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - ie 4, or whatever make up given the players available. ie as is or 2 interchange + 2 substitutes, 2 of each etc.
15 aside visually changes very little when watching the game, except for the the freeing up of the play. It's used in comps where fielding teams of 18 is difficult, like this season of AFL may become!!!
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, and with it, 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!

Should Covid decimate the AFL and it comes to a 15 aside comp being played, a potential St Kilda team might look something like this. [But which playing personal might be available due to Covid would be anybodies guess] In this scenario, versatile players like Battle, McKenzie and Long would be very valuable commodities.

B: Webster Howard

HB: Wilkie Battle Sinclair

C: Hill Steele McKenzie

HF: Higgins Membrey Billings

F: King Butler

R: Marshall Jones

I/C Long Sharman Ryder Gresham

No doubt, but I don't like the idea of players who continue playing after multiple concussions turning around once they've finished playing and start suing people. Doesn't sit right with me.
Well if it emerges that his psycho coach pressured him to play and told him he was faking it, there are grounds.

It's not a case of Sheedy putting Van der Haar back on the field after Dermie ran through him. That was in 1988 before CTE was even heard of.

In current times how irresponsible is it of a coach to pressure a doctor and then tell the player he is faking concussion.

Payday for Brawshaw if he plays his cards right.

Two Australians are taking an Italian and a Frenchman to their first game of AFL.
The game selected is the Thursday Carlton v Richmond game at the G.
I have no choice in the game, but I’m part of the organising committee.
Any suggestions about tickets, where and how to get them, would be greatly appreciated.
Plus any suggestions for dinner, pre game etc. I reckon we will be training in from Sandringham.

"Two Australians are taking an Italian and a Frenchman to their first game of AFL."
Sounds like the opening line for a joke ... :)

Two Australians are taking an Italian and a Frenchman to their first game of AFL.
Any suggestions about tickets, where and how to get them, would be greatly appreciated.
Plus any suggestions for dinner, pre game etc. I reckon we will be training in from Sandringham.
Meat & Wine on Southbank ?
"Two Australians are taking an Italian and a Frenchman to their first game of AFL."
Sounds like the opening line for a joke ... :)
Thats what i 1st thought

They still found that the club let him go when the doctor had done nothing wrong which means that the club believed that they were at fault. Most doctors work part time at the club, I doubt that they are taking $100k plus.
I’d be pretty sure it’s close. Yep he was let go for the wrong reasons. He didn’t get a cent because he was bullied. Not even close to a Cornes fan but he summed it up today when he said there was nothing he read that suggest bullying. It really is such a non story made bigger because the dees won the close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With an Italian on board i guess you're better off heading for Lygon street than Bridge street.
( search the flower pots for food for the Frenchie before you leave home ).

Well if it emerges that his psycho coach pressured him to play and told him he was faking it, there are grounds.

It's not a case of Sheedy putting Van der Haar back on the field after Dermie ran through him. That was in 1988 before CTE was even heard of.

In current times how irresponsible is it of a coach to pressure a doctor and then tell the player he is faking concussion.

Payday for Brawshaw if he plays his cards right.
Have you read the story. There is no pressuring. It was a heated discussion on what they have previously agreed upon. Luckily most aussies aren’t like yanks and think suing first. Brayshaw grew up in a footy family. He knows that people are treated differently to most other jobs. As I just said a huge non story. No idea how he is a psycho coach. I haven’t read anything to suggest that. The problem is people try and think footy clubs love by the rules of most other jobs. They just don’t. Now that doesn’t make it right or wrong. It does make it how it is though

Never underestimate how much a Doctor will take.

Dr Orchard, who works with the Sydney Roosters rugby league team and NSW Cricket, says sports team doctors can be well remunerated. For instance, an AFL team doctor can expect to earn between $100,000 and $250,000 a year, for a 0.7 load, he says.

Just wait outside until quarter time, most of the Blues ferals would be leaving by then. Ask for their ticket. If they're being difficult, throw a gold coin at them, that should do it.

Essendon cheating to manipulate their way to a 1st round pick?!
No way! Colour me shocked..

So let me get it straight, after previously saying that teams will be scrutinised regarding free agency contracts, and made to fulfil them, its OK if we offer Ben King 1.5 Million per year for 3 years, then after a year change it to $800 000 for 5 years?
If so they need to sack the idiots working in AFL house. More mathematicians and accountants, less of the old AFL mates.

KNmhpPyc.jpg

Did anyone catch any of the Swans/GWS game, apparently Paddy Mccartin was impressive in defence.

Well you knew that was coming. Seriously though, good for him. Hope he has a long career ......as long as he plays badly against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back