Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I did the ladder predictor and wow there’s so many 8 point games. Had us playing Sydney in the last round determining whether we finished 3rd if we win or 6th if we lose. (With a record of 16-6 lol).

Don’t know who melbournes going to lose to but surely they drop one. Hopefully it’s to a side out of the 8. Or Carlton who I sadly have finishing 2nd comfortably. Then basically a game and % separating 3rd to 6th.

Gonna be a finger biting run into finals if we keep our form up.
The problem with ladder predictor is nearly everyone picks favourites. 16 wins is certain top four.

Probably but doing the ladder predictor I just gave the favourites the wins which doesn’t always eventuate. For example Melbourne no losses for the year. They’ll prob drop a game or two when there’s not much to play for.
Agreed That what nearly all of us do. The problem with that is I had one winner today.

Would you rather Carlton be s**t or essendon be s**t? Discuss

Carlton, the arrogance of a fan base that’s had a club incapable of anything close to a solid season of football in a decade is crazy.

Dons fans can usually at least take a ribbing of their club for the last 10 years amicably I find.

Watching Jack Silvagni tell the North guys their club is s**t the other week, you would have thought they were on the back of a three peat putting someone in their place. Just make a finals series first you scrubs.

Carlton, the arrogance of a fan base that’s had a club incapable of anything close to a solid season of football in a decade is crazy.

Dons fans can usually at least take a ribbing of their club for the last 10 years amicably I find.

Watching Jack Silvagni tell the North guys their club is s**t the other week, you would have thought they were on the back of a three peat putting someone in their place. Just make a finals series first you scrubs.
Unfortunately that seems certain.

Our new hero, David King, on First Crack started with the umpiring across the weekend saying it is now just a whistle fest and the spectacle is being destroyed. Paying soft frees, not letting the game flow, then fans get frustrated when the same soft frees aren't paid.
His view is nobody understands what dissent is or not as they pay 50 randomly, and people are voting with their feet with crowds down on average 6000 on 2019 pre covid season.

Not just us apparently.

Our new hero, David King, on First Crack started with the umpiring across the weekend saying it is now just a whistle fest and the spectacle is being destroyed. Paying soft frees, not letting the game flow, then fans get frustrated when the same soft frees aren't paid.
His view is nobody understands what dissent is or not as they pay 50 randomly, and people are voting with their feet with crowds down on average 6000 on 2019 pre covid season.

Not just us apparently.

Yep, was pleased he brought it up first thing.

On SEN this morning Gary and Bucks discussing that the Lions game had 60- something free kicks 😳
We had 51 and the round average was in the 40s. Totally over the top.
Both Ratts (half time) and Max (end of the game) alluded to it. Apparently Fagin mentioned they “gave away” 9(!) goals by free kicks!

Hope there’s some soul-searching and reflection at AFL and Umpire’s house this week, but somehow I doubt it.

On another topic - Bevo moaning about the efforts of the Suns’ Collins on Naughton. Didn’t watch the entire game, but from the examples they showed last night, I though it was just normal close defending. Am I wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On SEN this morning Gary and Bucks discussing that the Lions game had 60- something free kicks 😳
Both Ratts (half time) and Max (end of the game) alluded to it. Apparently Fagin mentioned they “gave away” 9(!) goals by free kicks!

Hope there’s some soul-searching and reflection at AFL and Umpire’s house this week, but somehow I doubt it.

On another topic - Bevo moaning about the efforts of the Suns’ Collins on Naughton. Didn’t watch the entire game, but from the examples they showed last night, I though it was just normal close defending. Am I wrong?
You’re spot on re: Naughton. Absolutely nothing in it. Bevo has lost the plot, real weird operator.
Bulldogs are far and away at the top of the free kick differential ladder too the muppet!

Yikes! How's that umpire recruitment drive going? They must be really attracting people to the game with all the positive feedback they're receiving :tearsofjoy:

Yikes! How's that umpire recruitment drive going? They must be really attracting people to the game with all the positive feedback they're receiving :tearsofjoy:
People just don’t get it. It’s about local and junior footy and tge abuse at these games. It’s dropped so yes long term it will atttact kids. All this other media stuff happens every year. People just forget.

People just don’t get it. It’s about local and junior footy and tge abuse at these games. It’s dropped so yes long term it will atttact kids. All this other media stuff happens every year. People just forget.

But surely making them the centre of negative attention isn't helping. I think you are just so determined to back the AFL you aren't seeing straight. I don't know anyone that thinks umpires have risen in people's opinions.

They are more derided and there is more distain towards them and the AFL. It's like a government beating up their citizens to teach them respect. You silence it for a while but they are plotting against you the whole time.

I can guarantee that frustration will rise and junior umpires will wear the AFLs bad decisions because the fans are frustrated and have no recourse or voice.

But surely making them the centre of negative attention isn't helping. I think you are just so determined to back the AFL you aren't seeing straight. I don't know anyone that thinks umpires have risen in people's opinions.

They are more derided and there is more distain towards them and the AFL. It's like a government beating up their citizens to teach them respect. You silence it for a while but they are plotting against you the whole time.

I can guarantee that frustration will rise and junior umpires will wear the AFLs bad decisions because the fans are frustrated and have no recourse or voice.
No unlike you I’ve actually seen the benefit at local and junior footy. Pretty weak argument to just say I’m backing the afl. And all this negative discussion is the same as every year nearly around the same time. And you guarantee what you said because I’ve seen the opposite with my own eyes. I’d love to know how you would get more kids umpiring at junior level. The very funny thing is people whinge about tge umpires being no good but don’t realise for them to get better they need more depth in umpiring.

No doubt everyone expects the AFL will penalise Essendon and Collingwood for the behaviour of their fans last night by taking away the Dreamtime at the G fixture next year.

No unlike you I’ve actually seen the benefit at local and junior footy. Pretty weak argument to just say I’m backing the afl. And all this negative discussion is the same as every year nearly around the same time. And you guarantee what you said because I’ve seen the opposite with my own eyes. I’d love to know how you would get more kids umpiring at junior level. The very funny thing is people whinge about tge umpires being no good but don’t realise for them to get better they need more depth in umpiring.

You claimed it from day one like it magically turned a switch. I doubt the rule was reinterpreted and made an instant difference to the umpires in local footy. It is more likely to be players and families grateful to be back playing after Covid IMO. I can't see any kid wanting to join their ranks at the moment.

The media has started to revolt against the umpires and they are under fire more than ever before. You might get a few sadists that enjoy being hated but doubt any normal person feels the environment is better now.

Don't call the umpire a &%$% &^%ing &^% Johnny, you don't see your AFL hero doing that.
Shut up mum, we all know he would if he didn't give away fifty.

Fake respect and everyone knows it.

I was reading an article in the Age and I was struck by these comments about Weitering being the best defender in the league

"Weitering is the best defender in the competition at the moment. He is as hard to beat one-on-one as any player. He is confident to intercept mark high up the field but also enjoys being the deepest defender. He uses the ball well but likes to share it.

His numbers are fairly mid-table. He is not the most prolific intercept marker and does not pick up the most intercept possessions. He does not tackle crazily. He does not amass volumes of the ball. He is good at spoils – he is third in the league – but it is not the only feature that distinguishes his game.

He is a not a player who is quantifiable by stats other than to say he just does not seem to get beaten."

Well I reckon we've got a bloke who not only "does not seem to get beaten" but does pretty much every thing else a gun defender needs to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back