Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

I don't think it's safe. He's been out of the game for 3 years, seems to me that the other candidates either interviewed horribly, nobody wanted to go to Essendon, or the Bombers were desperate.

Hearing him speak, he's been involved in analysing the game and seeing what the trends are. He's probably better placed IMO. His brother winning a premiership probably rubbed some gloss off on him too.

Hearing him speak, he's been involved in analysing the game and seeing what the trends are. He's probably better placed IMO. His brother winning a premiership probably rubbed some gloss off on him too.
Sounds incredibly dull to me. Bland and boring. s**t haircut too, gives it away I reckon.

Looking forward to seeing them finish 16th though.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Without downplaying what happened at Hawthorn in any way, the Essendon players were injected with unidentified substances. Considering the substances were unidentified, there is no possible way any of the Essendon players in question could have given informed consent. It was pretty bad rad.

And the point I was making is one I have made before - there is a level where people can get to where they can't fail. There's always another parachute. Which is why, while I believe (if the allegations are true) that Clarkson's time in any capacity in the game should be done, I'll believe it when that happens.
Edit - James Hird version.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Disaster girl 30092022163657.jpg

Last edited:

ABC stating their journalists did try to contact everyone named in their article, including the media department at both clubs. By email, text message and phone call and more than once.

Clarkson and Fagan tacked, saying they were given no opportunity to participate in the review. And the ABC has responded with a tack of its own saying their article is independent from the review and they were given ample opportunity to contribute.

Fascinating to see where this goes from here.

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda

ABC stating their journalists did try to contact everyone named in their article, including the media department at both clubs. By email, text message and phone call and more than once.

Clarkson and Fagan tacked, saying they were given no opportunity to participate in the review. And the ABC has responded with a tack of its own saying their article is independent from the review and they were given ample opportunity to contribute.

Fascinating to see where this goes from here.
This is the problem for me with Clarkson and Fagan. They keep saying that they weren't consulted for the Hawthorn report.
But they had days to sit with the specific allegations in the ABC article. If there was no proof to the specifics in that article then there would have been an injunction to stop it being published and you'd think Jackson would have been in court for libel the following Monday.
That the article was published about two high profile men in a powerful, connected business after being vetted by the lawyers of all sides suggests that they have some concerns going forward.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just rewatched the real 2022 Grand Final, which as we all know is in Round 9 these days. Very impressive by the group to get the job done over Geelong like that, feel we're going to miss Ryder a fair bit though. Wonder what we'll try to do with Marshal now; solo ruck with the occasional chop out from forwards and defenders?

Jason Horne Francis has requested a trade to Port!
Poor old Norf….no coach, losing #1 pick…off season from hell.

Lesson learnt. Never use a top pick on a kid from interstate” -

Hmmm, this could be us with NWM end of next season…😳

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
·
Follow
Exclusive - trade bombshell as Port Adelaide eyes Jason Horne-Francis, with the Kangaroos' No.1 pick keen to join the Power. @AFLcomau

afl.com.au
Power switch: Young Roos star eyes trade to Port Adelaide
North Melbourne's Jason Horne-Francis is set to lodge a trade request to return home to Adelaide

Last edited:
Just rewatched the real 2022 Grand Final, which as we all know is in Round 9 these days. Very impressive by the group to get the job done over Geelong like that, feel we're going to miss Ryder a fair bit though. Wonder what we'll try to do with Marshal now; solo ruck with the occasional chop out from forwards and defenders?
Did the same this avo. Gresh cutting back inside wrong footed Geelong defenders often. We really missed him. He and the one two with Crouch gave us so much pace on the ball. How much guts from Steele you could see he could not tackle with his shoulder. Mskes you think if he stayed fit would have won by over 4 goals

We are not that bad.

North farkkkkkk. Whole trade period just got turned on its head.

Let's see where the fall out lands.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Have to think JHF is going to convince NWM to leave STK ASAP and head back to SA with him, mabye not this year but the next. Weren't Jas's dad and Nas's uncle teammates at PA?

Edit: yes. Yes they were. Gone IMO. Zac Butters and Jason Cripps in exchange please.View attachment 1524422

Last edited:
Without downplaying what happened at Hawthorn in any way, the Essendon players were injected with unidentified substances. Considering the substances were unidentified, there is no possible way any of the Essendon players in question could have given informed consent. It was pretty bad.

And the point I was making is one I have made before - there is a level where people can get to where they can't fail. There's always another parachute. Which is why, while I believe (if the allegations are true) that Clarkson's time in any capacity in the game should be done, I'll believe it when that happens.
It will be interesting, Kennett said that the way this is going, it won't be resolved for a year. if that happens what happens to the coaches. ? isn't there a thing of innocent until proven guilty?
the Indigenous players now have shut up and not talking to the AFL.

Would hate to lose NWM. I’d expect Butters and Rozee

I reckon you'd get Bergman and a future 3rd rounder or something. Doubt he's seen as being a super high priority by other clubs.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
It will be interesting, Kennett said that the way this is going, it won't be resolved for a year. if that happens what happens to the coaches. ? isn't there a thing of innocent until proven guilty?

Innocent until proven guilty is a criminal legal principle, and we're not talking about a legal process in this case (yet). North Melbourne have reputational concerns, but apparently those weren't front of mind when they targeted Clarkson to be their coach at the expense of conducting a thorough process (again).

The procedural fairness question is a fair one to raise, but this is something that is only going to become more prevalent as "truth-telling" processes become more prevalent. As Hawthorn said, the process they undertook earlier this year with regards to indigenous players wasn't about giving the opportunity for accused to respond to allegations, but an opportunity for people to tell their truth. There's a lot of work to be done in this space before a well bedded-in process that is satisfactory to all concerned is in place.

AFL will turf them and cite docs to do so.

Brissie can "keep" Fagan since the more and more of it I read enshrines the mafioso for me where he's the patsy people blame to deflect from Clarko and Bastadro (but but but, he's there whilst one has a boot in & the other is punching, he must have also done these things...), but those 2 and especially Clarko since his return at north would be untenable in authoritative / educational positions.

This is trial by media as it's not a criminal instance since those are in realm of accusations at present, my surprise is thast the Hawks didn't throw injunctions at it.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sounds incredibly dull to me. Bland and boring. s**t haircut too, gives it away I reckon.

Looking forward to seeing them finish 16th though.
They’re all the descriptors of the “safe” option.

I texted my bombers supporting mate last week when it broke and said “somehow this is probably the best decision but we’re also both disappointed” (he’s a massive Hird fan)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jason Horne Francis has requested a trade to Port!
Poor old Norf….no coach, losing #1 pick…off season from hell.

Lesson learnt. Never use a top pick on a kid from interstate” -

Hmmm, this could be us with NWM end of next season…😳

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
·
Follow
Exclusive - trade bombshell as Port Adelaide eyes Jason Horne-Francis, with the Kangaroos' No.1 pick keen to join the Power. @AFLcomau

afl.com.au
Power switch: Young Roos star eyes trade to Port Adelaide
North Melbourne's Jason Horne-Francis is set to lodge a trade request to return home to Adelaide
The JHF selection always struck me as an interesting one.

He’s a player with no defining strength. He’s not quick, he’s not a particularly good kick etc etc.

North really did everything they could. Didn’t nominate Darcy or Daicos (who was most peoples unanimous choice for best player in that draft).

He can do as he pleases but I hate the idea of a first year player who has done absolutely nothing requesting a trade. He hasn’t earned that right imo. Hope north plays hardball. Love for them to say find us two inside the top 8 or well take your first and Ollie Wines. If Port can’t do it then keep him.

They’re all the descriptors of the “safe” option.

I texted my bombers supporting mate last week when it broke and said “somehow this is probably the best decision but we’re also both disappointed” (he’s a massive Hird fan)
Hird and Scott are both s**t options. Tried coaches rarely ever work the 2nd time around

Back